Mother pushing stroller in Texas hit with bullet from Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother pushing stroller in Texas hit with bullet from Mexico

LOL at a bullet going through your calf being a minor injury. And ROFL at it being a Mexican who got hit in the US.

EL PASO, Texas (Reuters) - A woman pushing her child in a stroller in downtown El Paso, Texas, was struck by an assault rifle bullet fired from across the border in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, on Tuesday, mayor John Cook said.

After Juarez police responded to a carjacking about half a mile from the border, a gunfight broke out between police and the carjackers, Cook said. A bullet -- a type used in assault weapons such as M16s -- penetrated and exited the woman's calf, he said.

The unidentified woman, 48, who was shopping, was treated at a hospital and released with minor injuries, and her child -- whose age Cook did not know -- was not hurt, he said. The mother, a Mexican citizen, is a legal U.S. resident living in El Paso, Cook said.

"I don't think there's any reason for El Pasoans to panic or for anyone else to panic," Cook said. "El Paso still remains a very safe large city."

About 50,000 people have been killed in raging drug violence in Mexico since President Felipe Calderon launched an army-backed offensive against the powerful cartels shortly after taking office five years ago.

More than 10,000 of those deaths have occurred in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico's murder capital across the shallow concrete channel of the Rio Grande from El Paso.

The incident on Tuesday marked the first time that a person in El Paso has been struck by a bullet fired from neighboring Ciudad Juarez since the city began its slide into an abyss of violence in 2008.

That year, Mexico's powerful Sinaloa cartel took on Juarez cartel rivals over turf, littering the city of low-wage export assembly plants with its daily toll of gunshot victims and mutilated corpses.

But rounds fired in Mexico's drug war next door have previously struck buildings in the Texas border city.

Two years ago, bullets fired in a gunfight between a suspected drug gang and Mexican authorities struck city hall, smashing a window. Rounds have also struck a building at the University of Texas at El Paso campus, although no injuries were reported.

Politicians in the United States have voiced fears of possible spillover violence from Mexico, although El Paso, a sprawling southwest Texas city of 700,000 residents, was named the safest city of its size in the United States for the first time two years ago.

And Cook said that violence in Ciudad Juarez and other Mexican border cities has been declining.

"It's unfortunate that a carjacking like this is going to get national attention when Mexico is actually doing a pretty good job controlling the violence," Cook said.

He said there is no indication that Tuesday's incident was cartel-related.

The ordeal prompted two elementary schools and a middle school near the border to be locked down for half an hour, according to El Paso Independent School District spokeswoman Renee De Santos.
    Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

The first one I laughed. The second one about her being Mexican, I don't really get. What else would you expect to find on the Texas/Mexico boarder, Eskimos? The ratio just isn't there.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I believe it...

Just curious.. does anyone know what a coyote is charging to get an immigrant into the states? Its not like swimming the rio grande anymore.. It cost between 3500-5k to pay someone off and let you through
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
        The first one I laughed. The second one about her being Mexican, I don't really get. What else would you expect to find on the Texas/Mexico boarder, Eskimos? The ratio just isn't there.
        I see what you mean, I just found it funny that the article had to actually clarify that it was a Mexican citizen living in the US legally that got shot.

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          I believe it...

Just curious.. does anyone know what a coyote is charging to get an immigrant into the states? Its not like swimming the rio grande anymore.. It cost between 3500-5k to pay someone off and let you through
          You can find people to do it in the 2500 range

Comment

I believe it...

It costs 5 head of cattle, a dozen chickens, two goats and 1 burro.
            Originally posted by talisman
            I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
            Originally posted by AdamLX
            If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            Because fuck you, that's why
            Originally posted by 80coupe
            nice dick, Idrivea4banger
            Originally posted by Rick Modena
            ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
            Originally posted by Jester
            Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

I believe it...

2200-5k...depends on the quality of the guide and how far they are going to guide you....you know though, it only cost $1300 to become a full citizen by taking the test.....funny
              Originally posted by Sean88gt
              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                I see what you mean, I just found it funny that the article had to actually clarify that it was a Mexican citizen living in the US legally that got shot.

Stevo
                do it legally and please come over all you want. thats how i am here, although not from Mexico.

god bless.
                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                  do it legally and please come over all you want. thats how i am here, although not from Mexico.

god bless.
                  Banana Republic?

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                    Banana Republic?
                    although not near as lucritive as my previous ventures in the mining and smuggling of blood diamonds from the congo, i had to get over here and start living the "american dream".

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

LOL at a bullet going through your calf being a minor injury. And ROFL at it being a Mexican who got hit in the US.

"I don't think there's any reason for El Pasoans to panic or for anyone else to panic," Cook said. "El Paso still remains a very safe large city."

Stevo
                      Yeah right, lol!
                      Originally posted by Nash B.
                      Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                        although not near as lucritive as my previous ventures in the mining and smuggling of blood diamonds from the congo, i had to get over here and start living the "american dream".

god bless.
                        I know what you mean. Blood diamonds really live up to their name when you try to squat them out.

Comment

Stevo
                          Unfortunately, they have too. I can imagine what folks would think if she were an illegal. It distracts from what is important, which is that the area is too fuckin' dangerous. It could have been any US citizen as well (/obvious man)

Comment

I actually like El Paso. My grandfather lives out there. Too bad it's not as nice as it used to be when I was growing up.

Comment

Leg would have been gone if she was hit with a 10mm instead!

Comment

Working...
                              X