Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here an electrician or have added service to a shed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here an electrician or have added service to a shed?

I'm trying to add electric service to a 12x32 shed. So far I've installed a 100 amp panel, ran my inside wires for lights, outlets and the mini split. Went to the power company and got a 200 amp meter base set up for overhead service. Got that mounted, two 8' ground rods spaced more than 6' apart and connected with a single run of 4ga. solid copper wire that is ran back to the meter base.

There has been some miscommunication between the scheduler and the line men regarding what all I had to have ready. The scheduler told me that all I needed was the meter base mounted and the ground rods installed with the wire going to the meter base. The line men told me that I need to have the wiring from the meter base to the breaker box installed, the overhead mast, weather head and wires to the meter base ran with 18"-24" hanging out.

Been watching YouTube videos and reading up on electrician forums, but I cannot find a simple list of what is needed and how is has to be installed.

Would the following size wire be sufficient?
    • 4/0-4/0-2/0 aluminum SEU cable to go from meter base to the breaker box.
    • Three 4/0 aluminum wires going from the meter base to the weather head, one of them being marked with white electrical tape.
    Also, could anyone share how the connections in the meter base are done? Where does the copper wire from the ground rods gets connected? Any recommendations on an electrical supplier near McKinney that sell to the public?

I know I should probably just hire a professional, but I'm really trying to do this myself and learn something during the process.

I have a couple of 100' extension cords and a couple of power strips that I'll sell you.

Comment

Working...
    X