Underpaid teachers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
    Picking a fight because some administrator knew what he was doing when he got his contract is miniscule in the grand scheme.
    I'm not a math wiz or anything, but this guy's pension would cover 520 teachers making $50k each for one year.

You were saying 'miniscule'? Really? And you're worried about some coach making six figures. lmfao
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
      Judging from your response Im sure you see the irony.
      Not at all. The union negotiated for these people to be so overpaid that they are breaking an entire state without regard for the state or teachers.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
        I'm not a math wiz or anything, but this guy's pension would cover 520 teachers making $50k each for one year.

You were saying 'miniscule'? Really? And you're worried about some coach making six figures. lmfao
        Pretty much my point. And that's just this one guy. The 100 people on that list cost 1 billion dollars. That's a fuckload of teachers

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post

If you want to talk about overpaid or pay cuts/shortages, then address coaching. About a decade ago, Celina paid their football coach 6 figures a year. He didn't teach any classes; he was paid more than the superintendent; his daughter even had a job there.
          Ok, hold on. There is a difference between an athletic director/head football coach who manages all athletic budget and purchases. They are administrators who manage just like supes. Regular coaches who teach classes, work 80+ hour weeks, and don't make half of that. Get your facts straight before you start preaching about something like this. Teachers make an adequate living and have to fight for what they have before people like you complain about them making 40k-50k a year.

/rant

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            Not at all. The union negotiated for these people to be so overpaid that they are breaking an entire state without regard for the state or teachers.
            You realize the teachers = the union and the admin/supers = the mgmt right?

I guess Im missing something, when Chris Christie is bagging on teachers you hate them and they are overpaid. You then post this and now poor teachers, they dont make enough because of a super.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
              You realize the teachers = the union and the admin/supers = the mgmt right?

I guess Im missing something, when Chris Christie is bagging on teachers you hate them and they are overpaid. You then post this and now poor teachers, they dont make enough because of a super.
              Actually, I don't need Christie to say anything. I have my own voice. I don't hate teachers. I hate BAD teachers and unions protect them. Teachers should never belong to a union as there is noone in the negotiations for the second party, the taxpayers.

I never said they don't make enough. I said fucktard's 27 million dollars could go to hire teachers (good teachers) and if I were one of them, I'd be screaming bloody murder

Comment

Originally posted by Droppedlime View Post
                Ok, hold on. There is a difference between an athletic director/head football coach who manages all athletic budget and purchases. They are administrators who manage just like supes. Regular coaches who teach classes, work 80+ hour weeks, and don't make half of that. Get your facts straight before you start preaching about something like this. Teachers make an adequate living and have to fight for what they have before people like you complain about them making 40k-50k a year.

/rant
                Break it down more. Head football coaches aren't always (or typically) the AD anymore. In fact, that duty often falls to a VP -- an administrator. Oh, and yes, those same admins that manage the school all day long have to stay there for sports too. It's policy. Coaches manage their teams -- that's it. Furthermore, football programs have an exorbitant number of coaches. I'd bet most small schools don't cut it on the balance sheet if someone really took a look at the numbers. You'll find that booster clubs are supporting the programs.

Don't lecture to me. My wife teaches and coached varsity sports. I've coached high school sports as well. Further, show me where I said teachers were overpaid or underpaid. I personally think most districts pay teachers proper salary. If you pro rate my wife's salary to a 12 month per year job instead of 9, she's knocking back around $75K annually. That's plenty adequate for teachers and way more than PE teachers should make. Don't tell me or anyone that they're underpaid for making $50K a year for 9 months work.

Oh, and finally, if someone doesn't like their pay, they have a choice -- GET ANOTHER JOB!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

Do you understand how pensions work? It's a retirement account -- an investment. The school district didn't just deposit $26 million into his account. They contribute a percentage, and it grew. The whole example is based off the guy getting into administration early (the math for the example means he started working at age 22) and then having the pension based on the higher salary. The employer contributes a portion of his salary to his pension every year. Nowhere does it state the percentage contributed to his pension or if they do a matching contribution. Either way, this is not unheard of nor mathematically hard to concept.

It is hard to stomach that a school board paid the guy so much though. Bottom line, the district or state is only having to pay that money IF they own the fund and have used the money for something else -- much like Social Security.

Comment

Working...
                  X