Underpaid teachers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underpaid teachers?

UPDATE: Since we published this story yesterday it has been picked up by Glenn Beck, Business Insider, Patrick.net, and several other sources. As of 5 AM this morning it has been seen by 322,000 unique visitors. Keep it going!

##

Meet Neil Codell an Illinois educator with a $26 million state pension.

Just to drive the point further -- if Obama gets his way on his proposed state bailout, you will be paying a portion of Mr. Codell's pension. 'Codell, Neil C.' is 4th from the top of the list. His estimated career pension is $26,661,604. That's almost $27 million for a single administrator within just one local Illinois school system (Niles, to be exact).

Read about his benefits package HERE

Obama has requested a $50 billion bailout, this time for states. We've covered it before, in a general sense, here, here and here. Certain states are broke for one reason -- Public Employee Pensions.

Rather than require that certain bloated, mis-managed states cut pensions, Obama is trying to sell Congress another bailout -- this one for bankrupt mini-Greece fiefdoms that are politically important to Democrats -- California, New York, Illinois and Michigan.

---

More detail: Source

While the California teachers' unions are effectively destroying one school system after another, an alert commenter pointed me to some even more shocking news from Illinois. Their pension system for educators is -- if you can believe it -- even farther off the reservation.

Using actuarial calculations from the Teachers' Retirement System (TRS), Champion News reports that the total estimated pension liability for the top 100 retirees will equal.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

You know we have a political forum right?

Comment

So wait. The guy has worked 20 years, had a salary of over $300K in 2007, a salary of over $800K when he retires and $27 million in his retirement account. The table assumes he has another 14 years until retirement which is vastly different than the others there.

Furthermore, the guy's contract stated he would get two 20% raises before he retired. Who knows if he was able to contribute on his own and or had a matching plan. I'm sure they're factoring in his car allowance and the medical premiums he negotiated for his family too.

Bottom line -- administrators like superintendents (and I bet that's what this guy is) are hired by the school board, not the state government. If you don't like something, target the ELECTED school board officials who spend your tax dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
        You know we have a political forum right?
        Yep, I do but this is about educators and threads about educators belong here

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          Yep, I do but this is about educators and threads about educators belong here
          The guy is an ADMINISTRATOR not an EDUCATOR. There's a difference. Educators teach; administrators manage.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            So wait. The guy has worked 20 years, had a salary of over $300K in 2007, a salary of over $800K when he retires and $27 million in his retirement account. The table assumes he has another 14 years until retirement which is vastly different than the others there.

Furthermore, the guy's contract stated he would get two 20% raises before he retired. Who knows if he was able to contribute on his own and or had a matching plan. I'm sure they're factoring in his car allowance and the medical premiums he negotiated for his family too.

Bottom line -- administrators like superintendents (and I bet that's what this guy is) are hired by the school board, not the state government. If you don't like something, target the ELECTED school board officials who spend your tax dollars.
            Willing to bet he didn't negotiate anything. Bet the unions did, meanwhile teachers are being cut because of the lack of funding. I'd have a HUGE issue with that if I was a teacher

Comment

Who gives a fuck. I sure don't as long as their pension plan is allowed to fail. The people in Illinois deserve this shit.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Willing to bet he didn't negotiate anything. Bet the unions did, meanwhile teachers are being cut because of the lack of funding. I'd have a HUGE issue with that if I was a teacher
                My wife is a teacher. In 3 districts that she has worked in across 2 states, she's never had a superintendent be part of a union. They're basically contract labor, just like CEO's of big companies. Go look at how quickly everyone piled on the DISD super a while back.

If you want to talk about overpaid or pay cuts/shortages, then address coaching. About a decade ago, Celina paid their football coach 6 figures a year. He didn't teach any classes; he was paid more than the superintendent; his daughter even had a job there.

Want another area to cut? Look at middle school sports. There are 3 teams for each sex for each grade 7 & 8. That's 12 basketball teams at one school for a total of 2 grade levels. At what cost? Lights at the gym for practices, buses to haul them around, coaches to manage the teams, uniforms, etc. There are plenty of ways to get lean in the school system and hire teachers. Picking a fight because some administrator knew what he was doing when he got his contract is miniscule in the grand scheme.

Comment

juiceweezl, what I read is it's all f'ed up and there is plenty of room for improvement. Don't get me started on what I see with technology.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                    My wife is a teacher. In 3 districts that she has worked in across 2 states, she's never had a superintendent be part of a union. They're basically contract labor, just like CEO's of big companies. Go look at how quickly everyone piled on the DISD super a while back.

If you want to talk about overpaid or pay cuts/shortages, then address coaching. About a decade ago, Celina paid their football coach 6 figures a year. He didn't teach any classes; he was paid more than the superintendent; his daughter even had a job there.

Want another area to cut? Look at middle school sports. There are 3 teams for each sex for each grade 7 & 8. That's 12 basketball teams at one school for a total of 2 grade levels. At what cost? Lights at the gym for practices, buses to haul them around, coaches to manage the teams, uniforms, etc. There are plenty of ways to get lean in the school system and hire teachers. Picking a fight because some administrator knew what he was doing when he got his contract is miniscule in the grand scheme.
                    Oh I agree completely. Problem is, football brings in money. Never been a fan and think the schools should be under the state and not federal power and should focus exclusively on education. You want a sports program? Fine, then the coach is paid for by ticket sales and not the district. Not a dime should go to sports.

Comment

Juice, I'm not sure that 1 billion dollars for 100 people is not "miniscule."

Comment

Dont you typically bash unions?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          Who gives a fuck. I sure don't as long as their pension plan is allowed to fail. The people in Illinois deserve this shit.
                          Big buisness results in big labour.

Their pensions were stolen through fraud.
                          Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                            Dont you typically bash unions?
                            Typically? No. Every chance I get? Yep.

Comment

Typically? No. Every chance I get? Yep.
                              Judging from your response Im sure you see the irony.

Comment

Working...
                              X