Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Galveston Ferry - anyone used it lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Ferry - anyone used it lately?

This is an odd question but has anyone used the ferry in Galveston? I'm trying to find out what the total time (wait time and all) to transport a car across....we're possibly going to be staying on the other side but would like to have a car when going into Galveston.

This is all I could find

The Galveston-Port Bolivar ferry takes travelers on SH 87 between Galveston Island and the Bolivar Peninsula. One vessel is in operation 24 hours per day. A second vessel will be placed in service at 6:30 a.m. After this departure, the two vessels will operate based on traffic volumes, and will space themselves to carry traffic as efficiently and safely as possible. A third vessel will be placed in service during the afternoon period in necessary. Up to five vessels may be operated for summer and holiday traffic.

Vehicles should not exceed 80,000 pounds, may have a maximum length of 65 feet, a maximum height of 13.5 feet and a maximum width of 8.5 feet.

For additional information or special needs, please call (409) 795-2230.

Trip Facts
    Length: 2.7 miles
    Typical Duration: 18 minutes
    Average Load/Unload Time: 9 minutes

BTW, Smurfette and I love Galveston.... We usually get a rental house from VRBO and drive down there once or twice a year....
    Last edited by Gargamel; 02-16-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I used it last summer to go back and forth. I went through at off hours, and want to say from driving on one side to driving off the other took about 20-25 minutes. Not bad at all ... we barely had time to get out and get settled in before it was time to get back to the car.

Just hope you aren't on the back where people feed the sea birds!
      DamonH

Comment

We took it once, and they had state troopers writing tickets, and they were pretty picky... Like cracked tail light picky. One dude got several for his truck and trailer, he wasn't a happy guy that day.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
          We took it once, and they had state troopers writing tickets, and they were pretty picky... Like cracked tail light picky. One dude got several for his truck and trailer, he wasn't a happy guy that day.
          Like shooting fish in a barrel. The State has to raise revenue some way, but that seems to be a chickenshit way to go about it.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
            Like shooting fish in a barrel. The State has to raise revenue some way, but that seems to be a chickenshit way to go about it.
            You've been a million times less douchy recently and it has not gone unnoticed. Keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
              You've been a million times less douchy recently and it has not gone unnoticed. Keep up the good work
              When you reported about that guy that threatened suicide a while back and you played a direct role, at least for that incident, in preventing it I saw that a good deal of respect was due you. It shall continue.

Comment

Working...
              X