Career question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
    It is increasing, and I am still compensated very well. What I meant by that comment was I am not getting paid what I am supposed to be for the role and responsibility I have. That is also due to only being in this role for 3-4 months. I am in the middle of a project and wouldn't be appropriate to ask for a raise when the job is only 75% completed.
    Yeah, I was not indicating you were not a DFWM baller. I've just been in positions where I was worth 10-20% more somewhere else and never would see that with other promotions...etc unless I jumped.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I'm the same way, but every 2-3 years if there isn't a place to move up, or learn more, get paid more, i'm usually on to looking for something new.

I've been with my current company a little over two years, and I'm working on a promotion, and have built a career plan with my manager to eventually take his job when he gets promoted, or find a job of his level when he thinks I'm ready. He has been mentoring me over the last 9 months for this, inviting me to meetings I normally wouldn't attend, giving me tasks to learn the processes, etc.

I'll stay with this company as long as I have someone like him helping shape and guide me into where I want to be. I think this is the first time I've worked for someone who wasn't afraid to help someone below them get to their level.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        Yeah, I was not indicating you were not a DFWM baller. I've just been in positions where I was worth 10-20% more somewhere else and never would see that with other promotions...etc unless I jumped.
        Yeah, I was hesitant to post anything about money because I don't want to be classified by this community. Besides, like I said, job security is #1 for me.
        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
          I'm the same way, but every 2-3 years if there isn't a place to move up, or learn more, get paid more, i'm usually on to looking for something new.

I've been with my current company a little over two years, and I'm working on a promotion, and have built a career plan with my manager to eventually take his job when he gets promoted, or find a job of his level when he thinks I'm ready. He has been mentoring me over the last 9 months for this, inviting me to meetings I normally wouldn't attend, giving me tasks to learn the processes, etc.

I'll stay with this company as long as I have someone like him helping shape and guide me into where I want to be. I think this is the first time I've worked for someone who wasn't afraid to help someone below them get to their level.
          IMO, the best thing you can do is let them know you're interested. I see tons of people back at the office bitching and complaining because people are moving up and they're still there, doing nothing. Yeah, there are a lot of stipulations to that and qualifications but showing interest goes a long ways as opposed to whinning.
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            IMO, the best thing you can do is let them know you're interested. I see tons of people back at the office bitching and complaining because people are moving up and they're still there, doing nothing. Yeah, there are a lot of stipulations to that and qualifications but showing interest goes a long ways as opposed to whinning.
            I agree 100%, the first step in approaching a promotion is asking for it.

Comment

I'm 32 and have been with this company for 11.5 years.
              I started out in a call center at 21y/o and then got into training a little then went to the help desk as a trainer.
              Then was hand picked to be on the implementation team for the software upgrade we did on the Home Care side of the company.
              Then created the centralized home care payroll dept. and did the payroll processing for several offices on my own for about 3 months.
              Then I hired 2 employees to do the payroll and I managed them.
              Then I moved to a project management role while still managing the centralized payroll.

THEN...

...We got sold to another home care company in NJ.

my severance day is supposed to be June 29th BUT.. I have such a reputation here that the CEO has asked that I do not leave the company and they have 3-4 different positions that he wants to put me in.

I like moving up. I like making more money. I love that the CEO personally took time out of his day to make sure that I knew even through the division I have been working in all this time is going away, that he wanted to make sure he keeps ME in the remaining portion of the company.

Makes me feel good
              1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I'm 26 and have only worked for 4 different companies since I was 15. I worked for the same restuarant from 16-20 then I moved to DFW for school and worked at Academy for 3 years with a short stint at Bass Pro and back to Academy. Been where I'm at now since 08, but I worked here in the summers when I was 15,16 and 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                  I agree 100%, the first step in approaching a promotion is asking for it.
                  Excellent advice on both parts. In the past, I found out some people wanted promoted and I never knew. Just a few tweaks and bam, able to promote them.

Now, I avoid management like the plague.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    Excellent advice on both parts. In the past, I found out some people wanted promoted and I never knew. Just a few tweaks and bam, able to promote them.

Now, I avoid management like the plague.
                    I am quite the opposite actually. I am intrigued with how my business works. I would talk to my management and sr management quite often. If they invited me into their office and was on a call that I was familiar with and heard somethings I was the first to ask questions about it if I wasn't sure. Some call it brown nosing, I call it exposure. I never kiss ass, I am genuinely interested in how things work. Now, office politics, I stay away from that shit with a passion. I hear managers and staff talk about personal life etc and my personal life other than what I may have done on the weekend never comes out of my mouth. I have found out that there are a lot of train wrecks out there, management and staff...

Comment

Good stuff in here.

I was just hired on the last week for my first job since being out of the military. I have no idea what to expect as far as promotions and things go. I am so used to testing for more responsibilities, pay, and jobs.

Silverback - that's a damn good boss you got.

Comment

Originally posted by f0ur sixer View Post
                        Good stuff in here.

I was just hired on the last week for my first job since being out of the military. I have no idea what to expect as far as promotions and things go. I am so used to testing for more responsibilities, pay, and jobs.

Silverback - that's a damn good boss you got.
                        Yeah, he's a good guy. I actually turned down an offer internally to move to another department and take on a Senior type of roll, simply because when we discussed it, he told me that he knew me and that I wouldn't like the new position. He was afraid the company would lose me if I took that job. He then offered the option to mentor me, and would work to promoting me in my current group.

Hell, when some family problems came up, he let me move to Austin, and work 100% remote to take care of them. Not many bosses would let that fly, considering I'm the only person in the US on my team that works remote. We do have two guys in India and one in Mexico, but they go into the office we have there.

There have been other positions I've felt I was capable of moving to over the last year as well, but I've stayed on this team with the hopes that promotion is coming in the next few months. If it doesn't, then I will be looking elsewhere in the company, but I truly believe it is.

Comment

Valentine's Day was my 7 yr anniversary with my employer. I should mention that's about 5 years longer than I've been anywhere else. 15-18 months was spent as a Project Manager on our inside sales staff, then I moved to a territory manager/outside sales (that was the plan when I was hired). Previous to my current stint, I spent a year with a competitor, estimating custom fabrication. My first job on the supply side of the industry was as an estimator for a subcontractor, and I was there for 2 years.

In my 7 years here, I've doubled my salary and made it as far as I can go at the moment. The only upward movement is to make partner, and that is supposed to take place very, very soon. I have no interest in becoming our VP, or Sales Manager. We have solid people at both positions, and plan to keep both once the transfer of ownership takes place. I do plan to get certified as a Chef, mainly for company reasons. I don't want to move on to another company, but it would make me more marketable should something go terribly awry. I also have an industry certification test I need to take, and will probably head to Chicago to do that some time this year.

I've always subscribed to the theory that lateral moves line the wallet. Tenure promotes advancement. And everyone is going to be different on which one they are after.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

5 years at my current Employer. Was hired on at 19 for Personal Banker
                            , which was unheard of. Just got promoted to branch manager and am currently in training. This company took a chance on me, being so young, and they have my gratitude. I'm here for the long haul if the choice is mine.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                              5 years at my current Employer. Was hired on at 19 for Personal Banker
                              , which was unheard of. Just got promoted to branch manager and am currently in training. This company took a chance on me, being so young, and they have my gratitude. I'm here for the long haul if the choice is mine.
                              My cousin took the exact same path as you. Started as a personal banker, loan officer(I think) and now the branch manager. Is that just the logical order in banking centers?

Comment

Been with my employer 15yrs... I like job security

Comment

Working...
                                X