Career question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career question

How long do you guys seem to last at one position?

I am 29, and at my second job of almost 5 years and think it is time to move on again. Do you guys find after a certain amount of time, you feel the need to just find a new position. Not necessarilly a complete change in professions, just a change in the current role, department, LOB you are in. Even if it means a lateral move, you still feel it is time to do something different.

I need to rotate into something new every two years otherwise I get bored. Luckily I've been doing it at the same company for awhile now. I'm due again now.

Comment

Ive been at my current company going on 13 years now (I'm 32) so, no, I don't tend to think that job hopping is a good idea. Now switching positions (different departments, different jobs, etc.) are always a good idea, I think having a goal and working toward it is a requirement.

Too often people tend to think that the grass is greener somewhere else, and it rarely is. From the age of 15 - 19 I had five different jobs, but the reason for that was that they were entry level positions and moving around made sense.

Once you find a good company, then I don't see the need to be moving around (unless they are underpaying you or there is a offer on the table you can't refuse).

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
        Too often people tend to think that the grass is greener somewhere else, and it rarely is.
        the grass is always greener where the dogs are shitting.

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
          Depends what the hell you are feeding your dogs, pitbulls on a steady diet of babies and texas rat snakes tend to turn the grass yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            I need to rotate into something new every two years otherwise I get bored. Luckily I've been doing it at the same company for awhile now. I'm due again now.
            Two years seems abit quick, but to each their own I suppose.

I have excelled at my current position, but don't feel there is any where else to go in this department. Thats the same thing that happened at my last position. So I feel the need to make another move.

As far as Kenny says, I don't really think the grass is greener on the other side. I am not really looking at it like that. I just think there are other opportunities to build my knowledge base and gain more experience in other areas.

Comment

It's had for me to necessarily change my profession, but I do change programs as design or production cycles complete. I also keep my resume updated incase a great opportunity comes up.

Blind loyalty to a company is a bad thing IMO. Especially a large company.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post

god bless.
                You wanna get shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Blind loyalty to a company is a bad thing IMO. Especially a large company.
                  Yup, without a doubt. They will screw you every which way if it makes business sense..

OP, what is your job field? In "IT" you usually have to job hop. There was a time when 9 months or so was my max at a company, going on 5 years with this company though. Still, may have to move on soon.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    Yup, without a doubt. They will screw you every which way if it makes business sense..

OP, what is your job field? In "IT" you usually have to job hop. There was a time when 9 months or so was my max at a company, going on 5 years with this company though. Still, may have to move on soon.
                    Banking. The department I am in now is Treasury Services for large corporate clients. Been here for almost 5 years.

Comment

I am 25 and I have been with my company for 5 years (will be 6 this November) and haven't kept the same position more than a year or two.

I have been fortunate to always receive promotions and click with just about everyone I work with. I am now a Project Manager for transitioning million dollar IT accounts domestically and internationally. Unfortunately, my pay has not increased as much as my positions have. However, job security and experience is everything to me, and that is what I am getting. I know a lot of people who job hop, I can't do it, too stressful for me. Besides, what I am doing I have a new account every 4-5 months so it is like a new job every so often.
                      Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                      Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

347Mike's condition is a benefit to moving (pay not increasing equal to position)...but, there are ups and downs to each side.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          347Mike's condition is a benefit to moving (pay not increasing equal to position)...but, there are ups and downs to each side.
                          It is increasing, and I am still compensated very well. What I meant by that comment was I am not getting paid what I am supposed to be for the role and responsibility I have. That is also due to only being in this role for 3-4 months. I am in the middle of a project and wouldn't be appropriate to ask for a raise when the job is only 75% completed.
                          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

15+ and still counting.

Comment

I need a change every 2-3 yrs also. I got bounced around quite a bit in the corps, so I got used to it, and now I'm always looking for something bigger and better. It has been a straight line up, but it keeps creeping that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X