Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $23.60 cup of coffee.

Jesus H.

One man. One coupon. Two baristas and 31 ounces of imagination. That's what it took to create the most expensive Starbucks drink ever made.

Read more: Guide to Starbucks' secret menu

Logan Warren, a 22-year-old tech entrepreneur and student, can't afford to drink at the coffee chain daily. "At the rate I consume coffee, I'd be a pauper in a month," the Texas-based college student tells Shine.

So when he landed a coupon for a free drink, of any size with any additional add-ons, for his birthday (a company gift if you sign up for their rewards program), he took it as a personal challenge. What's the biggest, priciest Starbucks drink money can buy?

It all starts with a Trenta, the super-sized coffee cup introduced by the company last May.

When Starbucks announced the 31-ounce option, the reaction was largely dismay. Consumerist's bloggers discovered it was larger in size than the average human stomach. Esquire writer Todd Carmichael said the concept alone made him "shudder." But almost a year later, caffeine addicts are still forking over at least $3.45 for an iced coffee the size of a big gulp.

That's without the add-ons. Warren spent a half hour with a couple of "surprisingly cheerful" baristas devising the equation for the most expensive powders, syrups and shots to fill an entire Trenta cup.

Here's how his one drink bill broke down: one Java Chip Frappucino ($4.75), plus 16 shots of espresso($12), a shot of soy milk(.60), a drop of caramel flavoring(.50), a scoop of banana puree($1), another scoop of strawberry puree(.60), a few vanilla beans(.50), a dash of Matcha powder(.75), some protein powder(.50) and a caramel and mocha drizzle to cap it off(.60).

Altogether, Warren's Franken-Frap cost $23.60, making it the most expensive Starbucks concoction money (or coupons) can buy. That's not counting the well-deserved tip for his barista co-conspirators.

But how did it taste? "Tolerable," according to Warren, "but not good. Imagine a coffee-based health food smoothie that will put you in the hospital if you drink it all."

Warren definitely didn't drink it all. With 1,400 mg of caffeine and a seemingly incalculable amount of sugar, it's literally a recipe for disaster.

Still, Warren's experiment, though extreme, is a reminder that coffee is pushing our personal budget too far. A recent survey estimated that the average American spends about $1000 on coffee a year. That number is expected to spike in 2012.

In January, Starbucks announced it would be raising prices in parts of the country by an average of one percent. With coffee drinkers already splurging between three and five bucks on a morning jolt each day, that extra one percent isn't bound to make making the 99 percent too thrilled.

Read more on Starbucks' price hikes and which areas will be hit the hardest

While it still requires an obscene amount of espresso shots alone to inch up to a $20 Starbucks order, a few more price hikes and a creatively rejiggered recipe could change that. If you can build it now, does that mean the day will come when a cup of coffee will cost the same as two large pizzas? Start saving those coupons.

That had better come with a blow job. I prefer my 1.83 cent quick trip coffee.
    2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
    2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
    2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Coffee is overrated

Comment

lol fuck $1000 a year. That shit goes to my guns.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Maybe I am still too young but coffee doesn't do anything but taste bad to me. Plus having white teeth is a desirable feature to have.

Comment

i'm 28 and i still dont drink coffee.. never will. smells,tastes, and looks disgusting.
            http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

I'll save my $1000 for beer money, forget the coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
                i'm 28 and i still dont drink coffee.. never will. smells,tastes, and looks disgusting.
                I'm almost 44 and still don't drink coffee.. never will. smells, tastes, and looks disgusting.

Comment

I never been able to stomach coffee. It makes warm, cheap, shitty beer seem appealing in comparison.

Coffee sux!
                  sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                  17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                  13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                  86 SVO - Sold
                  '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                  01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                  65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Only pussies drink coffee

Comment

I've been drinking coffee since I was about 7. These days it's 3/4 of a pint of coffee, 2 big scoops of sugar, and 1/4 pint of milk every morning.

Comment

Originally posted by KCHAR View Post
                        Only pussies drink coffee
                        Real men just eat the beans.

I don't know anyone who spends $1000 a year on coffee, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          lol fuck $1000 a year. That shit goes to my guns.
                          But are your guns...... Tasty?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                            Real men just eat the beans.

I don't know anyone who spends $1000 a year on coffee, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Me either, in theory, but some people will spend $3 or $4 a day at Starbucks. That shit adds up fast.

Comment

I have my coffee(10lbs of Community Between Roast) on a once every 4 months recurring order form Amazon. It saves us about $80 a yr this way.

Sent from my iPhail eleventybillion

Comment

Working...
                              X