austin homeowner shoots possible thief: charged with murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    Yes, it really is. Where is the line? Is your home (insured) worth defending?
    I'm not going to shoot someone over property, where myself or my family are not in any immediate danger. If someone is trying to kick down my door at 3am it is a completely different situation. It is always a judgement call but I will not leave a secure location, my house, to put myself in harms way unnecessarily.

No matter how justified the shooting, your first call after 911 better be your attorney, and that means $$$. If the DA wants to charge you and take it to a grand jury then that means a lot of $$$ and time in the best case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      My line is the INSIDE of any door or window in the house...and also anywhere past the garage door (inside the garage). Nobody I don't know should be inside this zone..and will likely be met very harshly with dogs and guns. Inside our 6 foot wooden fenced backyard will most likely result in a gun being displayed..or a very protective 65 pound border collie attacking..maybe both. If I witness someone attempting to break into any of our cars I will display a weapon and tell said person they better get the fuck away...while also calling the police. The SECOND that person displays a weapon (or what might appear to be a weapon) in a threatening manner...it may result in legal issues for myself...but I may discharge the weapon toward the yard as a warning. If that doesn't stop the threatening motion...it will prolly be one to the chest.
      Forget about a warning shot, if my weapon has to come out and play, it's to stop the threat, not to aerate my lawn

It's easy to armchair quarterback but a car isn't worth taking someone's life or putting myself at a disadvantage by running out to an unknown sitation. Somebody tries to come in, that's a different story

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
        To each their own, but I will never shoot a person unless I am in fear for my life. I can get a new part for my car.
        I tend to agree. If I or my family (or any innocent person for that matter) is in physical danger, then I am shooting. But if the person is running away, and I see no immediate threat, I would just be calling the police at that point.

Comment

wieners, I'd never shoot in the back because its hard to prove dangerous intent when they're runnin away. pretty much how shit goes down in ok. Make my day= dangerous if running away not dangerous...

Comment

I had my wheels stolen from my Yukon in my driveway. I now have motion alarms and cameras. I've decided I will call 911 if someone tries to take them again but I won't shoot them. If they hop the fence into my backyard and run towards the house, or try to enter my garage, they will fight out what a 12 gauge slug feels like. Otherwise, someone isn't worth killing over attempted property theft alone.
            Ford
            GM
            Toyota
            VAG

Comment

Agreed. Owning a backhoe and living in the country would be a LOT easier to get away with...not sure what the authorities would say if the wrecked out car was found close by. Sounds like the makings of a good movie.
              Bury the car too, in pieces.

Comment

Car parts can be replaced. Me or the wife's life can't. If they try to enter my house I'm gonna start putting bullets to asses.

Comment

If he was under the car at night then whats the problem? Sounds like a text book catalytic theft. Last time I checked you could use deadly force to prevent theft or criminal mischief at night. Also they expanded the castle doctrine a while back to include your property. Now this is assuming the guy didn't just stumble up and get popped.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Good way to end up in prison.

Check your batteries, they're almost out of juice...
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                      Check your batteries, they're almost out of juice...
                      Really now?

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
                        To each their own, but I will never shoot a person unless I am in fear for my life. I can get a new part for my car.
                        while I think it should be legal to kill any thief no questions asked, I agree... call me a hippy, but I don't want to kill somebody over a few bucks.
                        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          If he was under the car at night then whats the problem? Sounds like a text book catalytic theft. Last time I checked you could use deadly force to prevent theft or criminal mischief at night. Also they expanded the castle doctrine a while back to include your property. Now this is assuming the guy didn't just stumble up and get popped.
                          the problem is that the home owner gave way too much information to the police
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                            the problem is that the home owner gave way too much information to the police
                            X2

He had 24 hours to give his statement and he should have consulted an attorney first

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                              X2

He had 24 hours to give his statement and he should have consulted an attorney first
                              Rights to live by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I need more information. Based on what I'm reading I wouldn't think the guy needs to face a murder charge. I don't think we've gotten the whole story here.

Comment

Working...
                                X