No announcement yet.

Dave Ramsey-Cash only system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow some of the people here crack me up.

I won't be a slave to the corporate banking and financial world so I won't have a bank acct and stuff my money and gold under a mattres !!!

Cash only/debit is pretty easy to follow. I put online purchases and major purchases on a cc and pay the balance instantly with my savings/checking.

Day to day debit card. I wouldn't change my spending habits if it was cash only because I am not an idiot and have self control.

Comment

• I thought debt was the American way? Thats what i tell my wife.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Originally posted by Nate View Post
        Wow some of the people here crack me up.

I won't be a slave to the corporate banking and financial world so I won't have a bank acct and stuff my money and gold under a mattres !!!

Cash only/debit is pretty easy to follow. I put online purchases and major purchases on a cc and pay the balance instantly with my savings/checking.

Day to day debit card. I wouldn't change my spending habits if it was cash only because I am not an idiot and have self control.
        Glad I can entertain, while securing my wealth.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
          IBslow99. lolz @ Elvis. I've got everything I own in one stock, but its been working in my favor for 4 years, and should continue for at least another 2. Completely inadvisable, I know, but everyone does something that works for their own life.
          Ford? Or your company stock?

Comment

• Originally posted by MattB View Post
            Ford? Or your company stock?

Company stock.

Comment

• I use a modified Dave Ramsey plan, which doesn't involve keeping a shitload of cash on hand. Similar to what Lason mentioned earlier, we have 4 accounts: savings, mine, hers, and main (for bills mostly). Every payday, my full check gets dumped into the main account and set amounts are transferred to each account, to include savings.

I track everything using a "virtual envelope" system with the software at www.youneedabudget.com . Corny name, but great software. It's like Quicken or Microsoft Money without all the added complexity and bullshit that most people don't need. Overall, it's worked very well as we've shed a tremendous amount of debt this year and are close to being debt-free besides the mortgage.
              - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
              1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                Remember kids, money can't buy happiness because money IS happiness.
                I've noticed that people who say "Money can't buy happiness" are normally broke.
                - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

• Originally posted by red95gts View Post
                  I've noticed that people who say "Money can't buy happiness" are normally broke.
                  That's true! Last time I saw Al P he barely had two nickles to rub together!

Comment

• Originally posted by MattB View Post
                    That's true! Last time I saw Al P he barely had two nickles to rub together!
                    As long as I can get some hoes to rub two nipples together, that is all the happiness I need!
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• My wife and i have some friends that are hardcore on a financial plan similar to ramseys.

They have a newish honda van that's been sitting in the driveway for over a year with a bad transmission.

So, they are down to 1 car now that has to serve the whole family. They have a couple of kids with licenses that have nothing to drive, and they have to ferry the wife down to love field 2-3 times a week so that she can go to work. They are literally hanging by a thread on this one car, because they don't want to go into debt.

A simple credit card to be used only for emergencies would solve their issue. It's ridiculous for a car to be sitting there undrivable because they never have the $3-4k on hand at one time to have it fixed.

I have an emergency card and the balance is higher than I would like, but we don't spend foolishly either (had a bunch of bad luck recently and it went on the card). I've paid it off before and i will again. We buy used cars for cash now, and watch our money.

I think that people get hung up on the details of ramseys plan, and don't listen to his message, which is to basically live within your means.
                      Last edited by mikeb; 12-12-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                        My wife and i have some friends that are hardcore on a financial plan similar to ramseys.

They have a newish honda van that's been sitting in the driveway for over a year with a bad transmission.

So, they are down to 1 car now that has to serve the whole family. They have a couple of kids with licenses that have nothing to drive, and they have to ferry the wife down to love field 2-3 times a week so that she can go to work. They are literally hanging by a thread on this one car, because they don't want to go into debt.

A simple credit card to be used only for emergencies would solve their issue. It's ridiculous for a car to be sitting there undrivable because they never have the $3-4k on hand at one time to have it fixed.

I have an emergency card and the balance is higher than I would like, but we don't spend foolishly either (had a bunch of bad luck recently and it went on the card). I've paid it off before and i will again. We buy used cars for cash now, and watch our money.

I think that people get hung up on the details of ramseys plan, and don't listen to his message, which is to basically live within your means.
                        Ya, emergencies happen and if they are not addressed, they will end up costing more over time (like that case).

Comment

• We try to handle our finances like anything else in our lives...in moderation.

Comment

Working...
                          X