Dave Ramsey-Cash only system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
    My dad has carried hundreds of dollars on him since I was a little kid. He traveled to New york City, Chicago, etc for business and never once got robbed. I see people everyday at walmart, restaurants even gas stations pull out wads of cash and never get robbed. I don't know about you but I am not a small guy and don't feel intimidated by someone looking over my shoulder at what cash I may or may not have. But I also know that if someone wants to mug/rob me for whatever money I have on me at the time; it is theirs because I have a wife and kids to go home to, and no cash amount would make me give that up!

That's great that your dad has never had any problems, but that doesn't automatically mean you or your wife are immune. I'm not sure of the actual ratio, but I'm certain it is heavily one sided between robberies that happen at the registers and robberies that happen in the parking lots or after you have left the store, etc. Rarely do you hear about someone getting robbed IN the store. So the fact that you don't see anyone getting robbed while you're in line to check out has no bearing on what I said. If you like risking your cash, etc, by carrying it because you have money manage problems in your household then by all means go for it. All I'm saying is that people get stupid and it's putting you and her at a higher risk, IMHO, and when these stupid asses see someone pulling out cash, especially around this time of year, they are thinking about scoring whatever money is in you wallet, money clip, pocket, purse, etc.

Comment

Some things he says are good, others are a bit extreme.

Getting rid of debt, going to cash vehicles, limiting eating out have all helped us in this period because income is up and down and I needed to limit my exposure as much as possible. But again, that's just common sense and a lot of people lack that.

My wife told me about a company that charges to affirm ideas people already have. Seriously? Look for he Jump to Conclusions map in stores next Christmas.

Comment

on the plus side, using only cash you would be able to "make it rain" at a moments notice!

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
          Oh and if you wanted to even one up my system, put all the bills on a credit card and use the "bills" account to pay it off every month. Build credit up too.
          Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
          I make to much money off my cash back rewards cards to pay in cash.
          It took getting to post #24 to read something that made sense to me.

Screw debit cards, cash carrying, and paper checks.
          Last edited by 94form2000z; 12-10-2010, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
            on the plus side, using only cash you would be able to "make it rain" at a moments notice!

god bless.

Lmgdao!! Perfect for those last minute parties or gtg's with your local DFWM millionaire's.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
              That's great that your dad has never had any problems, but that doesn't automatically mean you or your wife are immune. I'm not sure of the actual ratio, but I'm certain it is heavily one sided between robberies that happen at the registers and robberies that happen in the parking lots or after you have left the store, etc. Rarely do you hear about someone getting robbed IN the store. So the fact that you don't see anyone getting robbed while you're in line to check out has no bearing on what I said. If you like risking your cash, etc, by carrying it because you have money manage problems in your household then by all means go for it. All I'm saying is that people get stupid and it's putting you and her at a higher risk, IMHO, and when these stupid asses see someone pulling out cash, especially around this time of year, they are thinking about scoring whatever money is in you wallet, money clip, pocket, purse, etc.

You seem to have little man syndrome by the tone of all your posts I have seen. I guess the lone sailor username is fitting. Someone with your attitude could only be alone. Don't get the facts bent sailor boy. I have money. Never will I be without. I just want to keep a better eye on it and be responsible with where it goes.

Comment

Called Don't spend more than you earn.
                2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Having had just one debit card stolen and canceling it not even 2 hours after noticing that it was stolen, and then having to wait 6 weeks for Wamu to return the $600 to our account after proving it was stolen and they were fraudulent charges. I would then have to disagree with you.
                  That sucks it took six weeks, but if it had been cash you would have never gotten it back...

Comment

You seem to have little man syndrome by the tone of all your posts I have seen. I guess the lone sailor username is fitting. Someone with your attitude could only be alone. Don't get the facts bent sailor boy. I have money. Never will I be without. I just want to keep a better eye on it and be responsible with where it goes.
                    So you can't respond with a rebuttal, instead you go straight for the personal attacks? Nice.

And for the record, you sound just like badass2002 or whatever his name is, since you keep bringing size into your arguments as if anyone really cares how big you are. And you're calling me the one with the little man complex. Lmgdao!

Comment

I've used Ramsey's system.

It works very well for setting yourself on a plan to pay off debts and limit needless spending.

Using cash only forces you to stay on budget and makes you stingy with your spending. There's just something about counting out cash and handing it to other people that makes you rather keep it in your pocket.

The down side: It's tedious and inconvenient as hell.

Also, I never could get with the whole "live like shit now, so you can live great later" concept. I could never full embrace the plan.

I'm out of debt now, beside house. I don't use the system anymore, but I try to stay on a monthly budget plan.

Comment

So you can't respond with a rebuttal, instead you go straight for the personal attacks? Nice.
                        Rebuttal is I have money. I just want to retain more. You personally attacked me with your comments. I know I shouldn't have taken it personally from a lone sailor, as you like many are a keyboard warrior. I just don't like when someone replies to a post for no more reason then to bash or put them down.

Comment

Rebuttal is I have money. I just want to retain more. You personally attacked me with your comments. I know I shouldn't have taken it personally from a lone sailor, as you like many are a keyboard warrior. I just don't like when someone replies to a post for no more reason then to bash or put them down.
                          How did I personally attack you? Go ahead and show me, I'll wait...

How am I being a keyboard warrior when you're the one talking about how big and bad you are, tough guy.

And I never said you didn't have money, the whole point is that you are risking the cash you carry around as well as your own personal safety by doing so, IMHO. How the fuck did you turn that around thinking that is a personal attack for god's sake?

Comment

I always carry my flash-role of about 5 grand or so, along with a pearl handled Taurus pistol and a pager.

Dave Ramsey told me to do it.
                            Originally posted by lincolnboy
                            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

How am I being a keyboard warrior when you're the one talking about how big and bad you are, tough guy.

And I never said you didn't have money, the whole point is that you are risking the cash you carry around as well as your own personal safety by doing so, IMHO. How the fuck did you turn that around thinking that is a personal attack for god's sake?
                              Dude get out of my thread. I didn't say I am big and bad. I simply said I am not intimidated to have a pocket full of cash to pay for something.

Comment

Dave Ramsey would not approve.

Comment

Working...
                                X