Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genius? Kinky? Or just underhanded?

Polo club founder Goodman adopts his adult girlfriend

Polo club founder John Goodman has adopted his longtime adult girlfriend as his legal daughter in what plaintiff's attorneys are calling an attempt to shield assets from a civil suit filed by the parents of a Wellington man killed in a car crash.

"The events which serve as the grounds for the relief sought by the Plaintiffs border on the surreal and take the Court into a legal twilight zone," wrote Circuit Judge Glenn Kelley in an order granting attorneys for Lili and William Wilson the right to information concerning Goodman's adoption.

Goodman, who founded the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Wellington, legally adopted 42-year-old Heather Laruso Hutchins, as his daughter on Oct. 13 in Miami-Dade County, according to court documents.

The Wilsons are suing Goodman for wrongful death in connection with the Feb. 12, 2010 crash that killed 23-year-old Scott Patrick Wilson. According to Palm Beach County Sheriff's reports, Goodman ran a stop sign on 120th Avenue on Feb. 12, 2010 and hit Wilson, who was driving west on Lake Worth Road. The civil trial is set for March 27.

Kelley had previously ruled that the trust set up for Goodman's two minor children could not be considered as part of Goodman's financial worth if a jury awarded damages to the Wilsons. According to the adoption papers, Hutchins is immediately entitled to at least a third of the trust's assets as his legal daughter since she is over the age of 35.

In a deposition taken in the lawsuit last May, Hutchins told attorneys she started dating Goodman in 2009.

William Wilson's attorney, Scott Smith, said Goodman benefits from the trust and is using it to try to shield assets. The attorney for Lili Wilson, Chris Searcy, argued in a motion that by adopting Hutchins, Goodman can now direct her to remove up to a third of the trust.

"By way of this adoption, John Goodman now effectively owns one third of the trust assets," Smith said. "It cannot go unrecognized that he chose to adopt his 42-year-old adult girlfriend as opposed to a needy child."

Dan Bachi, Goodman's civil attorney, said Hutchins' adoption was done to ensure the future stability of his children and family investments.

"It has nothing to do with the lawsuit currently pending against him," Bachi said.

Kelley called Goodman's tactic of adopting his girlfriend "unprecedented."

"The Court cannot ignore reality or the practical impact of what Mr. Goodman has now done," Kelley wrote. "The Defendant has effectively diverted a significant portion of the assets of the children's trust to a person with whom he is intimately involved at a time when his personal assets are largely at risk in this case."

Tests taken several hours after the crash revealed Goodman had a blood alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit to drive in Florida. He faces a criminal trial on March 6 on charges of DUI manslaughter, vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of a crash and could face up to 30 years in prison.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

I'm sure plenty of names will be leveled at him in this thread, but I've got to laugh.

Comment

Gives a whole new meaning to "Who's your Daddy", doesn't it?
      www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

He's come a long way since Roseanne.
        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

On one hand he is a huge scumbag. On the other I can't help but think the people suing are scumbags too if they want to try to take money from a trust set up for his kids. It isn't like they got drunk and did anything. I'd like to hear more details.
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Mo money, mo problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              Mo money, mo problems.
              Not if you don't drive drunk and kill someone.

Comment

Comment

It's going to be funny when his "daughter" legally runs off with 1/3 of all his assets.

Comment

Hmmm I might have to say genius with a side of creepy!
                    Originally posted by Nash B.
                    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

I hope those of you posting comments about Roseanne realize this isn't THAT John Goodman.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                          I hope those of you posting comments about Roseanne realize this isn't THAT John Goodman.

Comment

I hope the DA charges him with prohibited sexual conduct the first time he nails his "daughter"...

Sec. 25.02 PROHIBITED SEXUAL CONDUCT. (a) A person
                            commits an offense if the person engages in sexual intercourse or
                            deviate sexual intercourse with another person the actor knows to
                            be, without regard to legitimacy:
                            (1)the actor ’s ancestor or descendant by blood or
                            adoption;

(2)the actor ’s current or former stepchild or
                            stepparent;
                            (3)the actor ’s parent ’s brother or sister of the whole
                            or half blood;
                            (4)the actor ’s brother or sister of the whole or half
                            blood or by adoption;
                            (5)the children of the actor ’s brother or sister of
                            the whole or half blood or by adoption; or
                            (6)the son or daughter of the actor ’s aunt or uncle of
                            the whole or half blood or by adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              Not if you don't drive drunk and kill someone.
                              The article said he ran a stop sign, not that he was driving drunk.

Maybe I missed it... I just skimmed the article.

Edit* My fault, the last paragraph says DUI.

Comment

Working...
                              X