Self-Guided Bullet Strikes Target a Mile Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
    Although I disagree with you, I'm confident for a variety of reasons the general public won't have any or a lot of them.

I'd like to argue they'd be useful for hunting, but what's the point if the person designating the targets is in front of the shooter. Other than if off to the side, the noise maybe reduced to get multiple kills on hog or something.

IT WOULD JUST BE FUN TO PLAY WITH damn it. Hitting targets from a mile away is cool, even if cheating.
    The person designating the targets will most likely also be the shooter eventually. Luckily regardless of you not agreeing...these will never be in the hands of the public. Hell they will probably be seen by very few in the forces if at all. There's a reason the MK47 smart rounds havent been very widely fielded and the MK19 isn't close to being replaced yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
      Not many rifles have a chamber long enough for a cartridge capable of pushing a 4" projectile at 2,000+ fps.
      This is Gen 1 tech. Give it time, and they'll micronize the snot out of it. Not 5.56mm small, but I'm sure a heavier rifle.
      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
        This is Gen 1 tech. Give it time, and they'll micronize the snot out of it. Not 5.56mm small, but I'm sure a heavier rifle.
        4" is length...I'm not sure how much smaller the bore will go given it's already relatively compact size. Making the bullet much shorter will kill stabilization...

Comment

This shit came out in 1984, sort of. Tom Selleck almost died when Gene Simmons was trying to shoot him with these.

Smart Bullet by Michael Crichton: Really a tiny missile capable of identifying and following a person. (Text quote, book citation included.)

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            It's not like gangbangers are going to do drivebys with 'dem laser guided Glock foh-tees.
            Are you kidding? That would be the ultimate in street cred. One-bullet drive bys will be the next big thing.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
              This shit came out in 1984, sort of. Tom Selleck almost died when Gene Simmons was trying to shoot him with these.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=1037
              Bastard you beat me to it. Runaway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Why would we want that in the publics hands? Just wait until those bullets go haywire because people don't maintain or use properly. It's not as much about the possibilty of someone intentionally misusing, it's about the lack of advanced training and technologies for the general public.
                Oh noes!11!! if these bullets malfunction, they'll lose the ability to track a target like...... A REGULAR BULLET!1!!111

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  Bastard you beat me to it. Runaway.
                  I was actually surprised that I was the first person to think of it. Runaway popped into my head when I read the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by dustin View Post
                    Oh noes!11!! if these bullets malfunction, they'll lose the ability to track a target like...... A REGULAR BULLET!1!!111
                    Yeah because a regular bullet is fin stabilized and has a means to alter it's path electronically. You are either a fucking idiot...or your sarcasm sucks.

Comment

Yeah because a regular bullet is fin stabilized and has a means to alter it's path electronically. You are either a fucking idiot...or your sarcasm sucks.
                      If a bullet that can guide itself loses the ability to guide itself then I guess there is no means to alter it's path electronically, correct? So it would be more like a regular bullet (sans the fins of course, but I guess you're too dense to see where I was going with that)?

Comment

Originally posted by dustin View Post
                        lol
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm gonna become a bullet hacker and alter the courses of all these self guided bullets. That way I can take out the people that need to be gone and there will be no link to me!

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                            I'm gonna become a bullet hacker and alter the courses of all these self guided bullets. That way I can take out the people that need to be gone and there will be no link to me!
                            I hope you have a good ping.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Regular bullets are stabilized by rotation, imparted by the rifling in the barrel, so what exactly, again, is your point. Are you channeling Carolyn McCarthy?
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                                I hope you have a good ping.
                                yeah <1ms won't be good enough. Guess I should start lobbying for Cisco to make a new queue for bullet manipulation in a class above voice and voice control
                                Originally posted by MR EDD
                                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                                X