Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanics: Best places for tools and lifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanics: Best places for tools and lifts?

Hey all, in a couple weeks I am opening a service shop in Golinda. Just got the building and am in the process of cleaning it and painting it.
    Me and my partner have many specialty tools as well as all the standard automotive tools. I still need the big stuff but not a big budget so I need some advice where around Dallas or Waco I can get certian parts for a good price. I am not oppsed to used.

I am looking for one- 2-post lift that can do at least 3 tons. Larger is ok if I can afford it. I have heard they are only $1500 new but unsure where to buy.
    I also need to buy a plasma cutter and a MIG/TIG welder. Hydraulic press, dont need an electric one since they are quite a bit more expensive. Also need a strut spring compressor, blast cabainite, two stage air compressor and various other things.

Would also like to coat the floor in that speckled stuff that allows for easy cleanup. Need to cover almost 3000 square feet.

So any places I could be pointed to or if anyone has similar parts they wanna unload then let me know.

I am haveingthe shop cleanup, paint and lift install party Feb 18. Have several friends coming already but anyone is invited. I have a 3 keg kegerator that will be flowing and all the pizza and burgers you can eat. Will also gove labor discounts for one year for those that come to help set the shop up.

Shop is about 6 minutes South on 77 from Waco. Good size building so lots of painting and such. I will buy all supplies.

So anyone interested in hanging out or that has parts contacts then please let me know.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
    Hey all, in a couple weeks I am opening a service shop in Golinda. Just got the building and am in the process of cleaning it and painting it.
    Me and my partner have many specialty tools as well as all the standard automotive tools. I still need the big stuff but not a big budget so I need some advice where around Dallas or Waco I can get certian parts for a good price. I am not oppsed to used.

I am looking for one- 2-post lift that can do at least 3 tons. Larger is ok if I can afford it. I have heard they are only $1500 new but unsure where to buy.
    I also need to buy a plasma cutter and a MIG/TIG welder. Hydraulic press, dont need an electric one since they are quite a bit more expensive. Also need a strut spring compressor, blast cabainite, two stage air compressor and various other things.

Would also like to coat the floor in that speckled stuff that allows for easy cleanup. Need to cover almost 3000 square feet.

So any places I could be pointed to or if anyone has similar parts they wanna unload then let me know.

I am haveingthe shop cleanup, paint and lift install party Feb 18. Have several friends coming already but anyone is invited. I have a 3 keg kegerator that will be flowing and all the pizza and burgers you can eat. Will also gove labor discounts for one year for those that come to help set the shop up.

Shop is about 6 minutes South on 77 from Waco. Good size building so lots of painting and such. I will buy all supplies.

So anyone interested in hanging out or that has parts contacts then please let me know.
    Id check craigslist. I bought my rotary 12,000lb 2 post lift from dfw craigslist for 600 bucks. Had rebuilt cylinders was a nice set up.

Comment

For the plasma talk to jeff (dfwtechie) on here, he'll get you a good deal.

Comment

If you can get a rotary used grab it. Otherwise Id get a bendpak. As for tools Id try to get a good diagnostic machine from a tool truck so when you need something for it you'll more than likely be able to get it quickly.
        Make the best choice for your next two-post car lift. View our product comparison inspection, so you can shop with confidence that you’re getting the best deal.

Comment

When I was searching for a MIG and Plasma cutter a couple years ago this place had the best prices

Family owned and operated distributor of Industrial, Medical, Specialty, Food Grade and Bulk Gases. Safety Supplies, Welding Equipment, Rental, and Repair.

And if I remember correctly this is where we got our lift from, it is 14k LB 4 post BendPak and hasn't had any issues

Last edited by GrayStangGT; 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

This is were I got my two post at:

Sometimes if you go into the wharehouse you can get them cheaper. They're located in Burleson/Joshua.

I got my Bendpak 14k 4 post drive on off ebay for $3300.

Comment

Also you might rethink the floor coating. My shop has it and it's kind of a pain. Regular kitty litter doesn't work on it without scratching it up and if there is oil down a scratch will make the paint start lifting. There is a nice bare spot under my oil change lift from the oil. I have to mop up any spills pretty quick or it eats up the coating.

Comment

GOLINDA?!?!?! sorry bro...cant help, your too close to home & might take my gravy...jk

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                  If you can get a rotary used grab it. Otherwise Id get a bendpak. As for tools Id try to get a good diagnostic machine from a tool truck so when you need something for it you'll more than likely be able to get it quickly.
                  http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Articles.asp?ID=146
                  All great advice guys, thanks. I do have several Matco scanners that do just about everything. Have a lot of specialty tools. I know I will need many more but I am off to a good start. I am gonna craigslist sarch for a decient lift.

As for the floor coating I was thinking of that stuff that lays a base coat then a speckled coat then a top coat. They say if it cracks they will fix it. I just figured in the long run a coated floor wastes less labor time to clean then it would cost to lay that stuff down.
                  Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

I got a 9k lb 2 post off craiglist for 1k and it was 3 months old. The same lift was purchased new from National Auto Tool in N Ft Worth for around 1700.00, they have other speciality tools as well.
                    And if you call the number in my sig I can set you up with MIG,TIG welders and Plasma cutters and comsumables.

Comment

I am a few days from closing the property so when I have actuall cash in hand I will be more diligent about shopping Craigslist for most of the parts.

DFWtechie, if I can get what I need in stay in budget (still working on the exact ammount) then we shall do buisiness soon for a torch, welders and cutter.

I really have ti find a shop truck too. Trying to find a late 90's Ford HD or something similar for under $3000. Dont care if its a little ugly as long as its a solid runner and I can throw motors in its bed.

Comment

the floor stuff sucks noone has perfected it but costco just got a roll of heavy duty stuff that is looks like carpet but serves the purpose of garage coating my chicks dad is trying it at his shop only in the oil bay to see how it holds up for a month of heavy use. its only 140 for a 8 ft by 25 foot long roll.

Comment

Seems thats been the consensus is that the floor stuff is useless. I love watching powerblock and similar car shows and always like their nice clean floors. I hate looking at stained concrete.
                          Guess I could always just do a good quality paint. I know it will wear out in heavy traffic areas ...... dang, gotta do some research. Last thing I wanna do is waste $1000 for something that dont clean up well andwears out in a year or two.

Comment

Bought my rotary lift from Isuzu equipment. When I sold all my shop equipment I used Craigslist.
                            Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Fortunatly I have some good contacts now for the main shop items. Also been finding great deals on craigslist for lifts and such. Unfortunatly my realator just moved closing back a couple weeks and its gonna put me in a bind since now its the 15th instead of the 3rd and I have to finish paying for my shop by the 15th.

Comment

Working...
                              X