Van Halen Presale today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
    They've always been exceptionally mediocre at very best (a very good example that all of the talent and innovation in the world doesn't lead to good music), but this new stuff is in a whole new ballpark of bad.
    Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
    Really? Van Halen is some of the most one sided shit pop music ever put out. Great, Eddie can go squidlly woo squidly woo for 3-5 minutes at a time... That gets boring quick. I've never understood what the big deal was and never saw a huge difference between the DLR and Hagar days.....

And then to hear their new "tattoo" song... sometimes it's just better to sell the guitars and call it a career.
    i guess we are just too young to understand.

Eddie is a good guitarist, but the music is still awful. Their new single is pretty much the same bullshit but with different lyrics and now you all are saying it sucks. The music sounds pretty much the same to me, with worse lyrics.

For the record, they have two tolerable songs. Hot for teacher, and maybe jamies crying
    Last edited by mstng86; 01-29-2012, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Since you have not mentioned any bands you think are better, I'll just guess that you like the current day emo losers.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
        Since you have not mentioned any bands you think are better, I'll just guess that you like the current day emo losers.
        Actually no. I dont listen to hardly anything current. Tbh, i am working on setting up concert trip to austin for tom petty. I say that because i remember you commenting in a thread i made about his mojo album.

Comment

Van Halen I and II were just knockouts. About any guitarist you hear playing any semblance of rock, was/is influenced by Eddie Van Halen in some form or fashion.

Comment

LOL @ the old guys.

Van Halen sucks. You couldn't pay me $165 to go to the concert.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              LOL @ the old guys.

Van Halen sucks. You couldn't pay me $165 to go to the concert.
              No you are wrong. We are not old, we are wise gentlemen that know what Van Helen was like back in their prime. I would go just because I like to crank up the old Roth tunes and the Hagar ones as well. You will realize that 30 years from now when you play YOUR classic Justin Bieber that YOU have in your I-pod right now.
              Last edited by jetboat; 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM.
              Two in the pink and one in the stink

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
                No you are wrong. We are not old, we are wise gentlemen that know what Van Helen was like back in their prime. I would go just because I like to crank up the old Roth tunes and the Hagar ones as well. You will realize that 30 years from now when you play YOUR classic Justin Bieber that YOU have in your I-pod right now.
                lol, you guys really want to play that one? Lets have a chat about Brubeck, Blakey, Coleman, Monk, Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, Parker. Or how about Reinhardt or Montgomery, two dudes who actually had the kind of influence on guitar that people like to claim Eddie Van Halen had.

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                Van Halen I and II were just knockouts. About any guitarist you hear playing any semblance of rock, was/is influenced by Eddie Van Halen in some form or fashion.
                Oh jesus christ man. That's the vaguest fucking attribution of virtue to Eddie Van Halen that I've ever heard. EVH was talented, I won't argue that, but I can sum up his playing in one word: kitschy.

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
                  Lulz. So if you don't like Van Halen, you must like Bieber? I see.... I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no Bieber on my iPod.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    Lulz. So if you don't like Van Halen, you must like Bieber? I see.... I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no Bieber on my iPod.
                    Don't miss the Roger Eberts of music in here suggesting that all modern music is either "emo" or Bieber.

This thread helped make a lot of sense as to why the residents of Central Texas go bonkers for Van Halen.

Comment

LMAO. There sure are a lot of judgemental assholes in here. If you like VH, great. If not, that's great too. It sounds like a retard debate in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                        lol, you guys really want to play that one? Lets have a chat about Brubeck, Blakey, Coleman, Monk, Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, Parker. Or how about Reinhardt or Montgomery, two dudes who actually had the kind of influence on guitar that people like to claim Eddie Van Halen had.

Oh jesus christ man. That's the vaguest fucking attribution of virtue to Eddie Van Halen that I've ever heard. EVH was talented, I won't argue that, but I can sum up his playing in one word: kitschy.
                        Wes Montgomery? I've been playing guitar 40 years, and I don't play any of that stuff. If we're going to talk guitar, move along. Interesting. I have around 250 (I threw some out a while back) Guitar Player Magazine issues, and all your little buddies you listen to now, worshipped at the EVH guitar altar.

I won't get into sheer album sales, because that doesn't necessarily mean "good" or "talent", but in the context of 1979, they were pretty damn good.

And Coop, there's no accoounting for taste. I said I would NOT pay to see them now, but I did pay $13 to see them, ARS, Heart, Aerosmith and a few more. I was in somewhat of a haze, but I was told they were great! (I think it was 1978)

By the way, go to Rolling Stone Magazines' top 100 guitar players, and you'll see "Mr.Kitschy" at #8 all time. Read the little article, too.
                        Last edited by Vertnut; 01-30-2012, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Shit, in my day way back in 1988 I went to Monsters of Rock. Camped out for 3 days for tickets to get floor seats about 15 rows back from the stage. Thirty five dollar each for an all day event. That's before pro scalping places would hoard the fuck out of tickets and sell them at a 500% markup.
                          I was never really into them, but to steal a line from Denny, "they have more talent in their clipped fingernails than most 'artists' of today."

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            Shit, in my day way back in 1988 I went to Monsters of Rock. Camped out for 3 days for tickets to get floor seats about 15 rows back from the stage. Thirty five dollar each for an all day event. That's before pro scalping places would hoard the fuck out of tickets and sell them at a 500% markup.
                            I was never really into them, but to steal a line from Denny, "they have more talent in their clipped fingernails than most 'artists' of today."
                            Fuckin' aye! Especially when those "artists' from today" learned all their chops from Eddie.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                              By the way, go to Rolling Stone Magazines' top 100 guitar players, and you'll see "Mr.Kitschy" at #8 all time. Read the little article, too.
                              lol come on man, you're going to cite Rolling Stone on this?

Comment

Van Halen/Hagar is win.
                                Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Working...
                                X