Supreme Court: Warrants needed in GPS tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
    Isn't there a term for baiting criminals?
    If you're referring top entrapment, it was made legal in the late 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      What about my scenario? Where the police plant a tracking device on something they know will be stolen.
      It is all about probable cause. Someone taking the car gives plenty of PC to track them, IE the "search" becomes reasonable.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
        Does this apply to tracking down using Lo-Jack? If so it will bury that company.
        You agree to LoJack.

Now it would require a subpeona or warrant to get those records.

Comment

Three words.....

Fuck The Police

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            It is all about probable cause. Someone taking the car gives plenty of PC to track them, IE the "search" becomes reasonable.
            YOU can put a tracker on anything YOU own. No warrant...So If I think my lawn mower might get stolen I could put one on there.

Your Iphones, I pads, etc have GPS built in. YOU can access it anytime (if you know how)
            MOST tote the note lots have trackers on their cars. The BUYER signs an agreement for it to be on there and allows them to track it when the miss a payment...
            An FWIW, There has been a warrant requirement for the Po Po to install a tracker in Texas for a LONG time...The feds, not so much..

Comment

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
              Three words.....

Fuck The Police

This. Except Luis and Jimmy, and most of the time Matt.
              www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                I agree with that. I think a warrant should be required to GPS track vehicles.
                Not that my opinion means shit, but I'm happy to see an officer agree to this.

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                  Not that my opinion means shit, but I'm happy to see an officer agree to this.

Stevo
                  I think if you are ever going to use information that would not be readily available to the general public, then a warrant should be a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                    YOU can put a tracker on anything YOU own. No warrant...So If I think my lawn mower might get stolen I could put one on there.

Your Iphones, I pads, etc have GPS built in. YOU can access it anytime (if you know how)
                    MOST tote the note lots have trackers on their cars. The BUYER signs an agreement for it to be on there and allows them to track it when the miss a payment...
                    An FWIW, There has been a warrant requirement for the Po Po to install a tracker in Texas for a LONG time...The feds, not so much..
                    You can do anything you want with what you own. This ruling has nothing to do with private sector industry (meaning non-government) or individuals.
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                      Does this apply to tracking down using Lo-Jack? If so it will bury that company.
                      Depends on what context you mean here. As pointed out earlier, if it's in regards to tracking a stolen vehicle, you won't need a warrant. The consent is given between the owner of the car, Lo-Jack, and LE (in a nutshell).
                      If you're talking about tracking down a perp, thinking his car has Lo-Jack, that would be a very inefficient way to track.

IMO, it's not so much FTP as it is Fuck Your Lawmakers. Post 9/11, the Patriot Act kissed a lot of your freedoms goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                        I think if you are ever going to use information that would not be readily available to the general public, then a warrant should be a requirement.
                        I commend your opinion too.

Stevo
                        Originally posted by SSMAN
                        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                          If you're talking about tracking down a perp, thinking his car has Lo-Jack, that would be a very inefficient way to track.

IMO, it's not so much FTP as it is Fuck Your Lawmakers. Post 9/11, the Patriot Act kissed a lot of your freedoms goodbye.

On the first point, they could just use OnStar!

And true as true can be on the second point. Not going to get better either...
                          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                            Cases like this just illustrate to me why the police can't be trusted with certain powers. If it can be abused, it will be abused. If it can be tested, it will be tested. Morality, conscience or common sense be damned. While the problem is with lawmakers, they aren't the ones who test the courts to see what they can get away with.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              Cases like this just illustrate to me why the police can't be trusted with certain powers. If it can be abused, it will be abused. If it can be tested, it will be tested. Morality, conscience or common sense be damned. While the problem is with lawmakers, they aren't the ones who test the courts to see what they can get away with.
                              Hey, what time is the Super Bowl party?

Comment

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
                                Three words.....

Fuck The Police
                                +1
                                Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Working...
                                X