RC guys, vintage toy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC guys, vintage toy question

I found this car in the attic and was wondering if I have something of any value here. It would have to be from the 80's, not really sure how old, but I haven't seen this thing since then.

It's complete, even with some spare parts, and works perfectly. I charged up the battery and ran it for a good half hour, I was very surprised to say the least. I looked up Traxxas and they're still in business in Plano so I might seek their input. I would probably throw it up on eBay if it's worth my time. I'm totally unfamiliar with the rc world, or the vintage toy market and I didn't know the best place to market this thing, or if it's worth anything.

Any info is appreciated.

I don't know about value but it was a pile of poo when it was new. I had one as my second buggy that I raced. I saw the light and ditched that thing and bought a losi jrx-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
      I don't know about value but it was a pile of poo when it was new. I had one as my second buggy that I raced. I saw the light and ditched that thing and bought a losi jrx-2.
      So it's worthless? I figured since it was old it might be worth something, but it is made in Taiwan, lol. It still hauls ass around my garage pretty well, but I need a new battery/charger for it. It doesn't stay charged very long.

Comment

Like I said, I don't know if it's worthless or not. It was a whole hearted stab from traxxas to enter the competitive world of r/c racing and it failed miserably. If it was a blue eagle I'd say you have something but maybe that's just me. The blue eagle faired pretty well in the racing world. I'm sure someone would give up a little cash to have this tiny chunk of history.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
          Like I said, I don't know if it's worthless or not. It was a whole hearted stab from traxxas to enter the competitive world of r/c racing and it failed miserably. If it was a blue eagle I'd say you have something but maybe that's just me. The blue eagle faired pretty well in the racing world. I'm sure someone would give up a little cash to have this tiny chunk of history.
          cool, until then I'll just continue harassing the family pets with it. It makes me want a new, snazzy one to have fun with now.

Any battery/charger recommendations for me? As well as a local shop to buy them. I could probably look up some on eBay, but I don't know what I'm buying, just going off what's in it.

Comment

To be completely honest, I have no clue where to look for a ni-cad charger. If you were to get into something newer like lipos/brushless systems I could recommend a charger that will charge almost all types of batteries.

The stuff that's on the market now makes that old school technology look prehistoric by comparison. I have an associated 18R with a mamba 8,000 kv motor that is so frigging insainley fast that it's pretty much undriveable without turning it down.

Comment

A little searching brought up this, which mentioned one advertised on CL for $75

Comment

Very good find. I'll do some more researching this week. I figured it might sell for a decent price to someone into the vintage rc market, if there is such a thing. Until then, its cheap fun.

Comment

That is in really good shape, gotta be worth something to a rc guy. I still have my RC10 from when I was a kid. It has been run through the ringer, though.

Comment

its cool but like others its not that collectable(unless it was nib)

also traxxas had more entries in the racing arena, the trx-1 was their last somewhat successful buggy, i have one still, and it could still be competitive today with the right driver.

Comment

Try the huge hobby shop in Carrolton. http://www.mikeshobbyshop.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Big pappa pump View Post
                        the trx-1.....i have one still,
                        If you are interested in selling it, let me know.

Comment

I'd like to trade this thing straight up for an old Turbo Bandit. I had many, many hours of fun with one of these.

Comment

I had almost every Tyco 9.6 vehicle made. My Bandit had all the stickers removed and I added a huge rack of lights in the bed so I could drive it at night. I wonder where all that shit went.

You might ask Traxxas corporate if they're interested in teh buggy. They might want it for a museum or something.
                            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
                              If you are interested in selling it, let me know.
                              i thought about selling it at one time, but like the og rc10 that i sold i know i would miss it.

it is part of my collection of old school rc cars along with

rc10ds(conversion kit) with a hard to find hpi 2 speed, waiting for the brushless system and lipo to be installed.

first gen rc10gt

Comment

Working...
                              X