The Blind are suing Redbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blind are suing Redbox

Plaintiffs say that the discount DVD-rental outfit's DVD kiosks are inaccessible and they could be using screen-reading technology, but the company has chosen not to in violation of the law.

Plaintiffs say that the discount DVD-rental outfit's DVD kiosks are inaccessible and they could be using screen-reading technology, but the company has chosen not to in violation of the law.

In the past few years, automated retail kiosks have put many DVD-rental stores out of business. This hasn't been a kind development for visually impaired individuals who now have less access to video store clerks to help get them movies. Now, in a new class action lawsuit in California, a group that advocates for the civil rights of blind individuals is suing Redbox for violating the Americans With Disabilities Act.

According to the complaint filed on Thursday, Redbox is denying blind individuals equal access to goods and services.

The plaintiffs say they enjoy films too, particularly dialogue-driven ones as well as movies where the action can be described by friends.

PHOTOS: Hollywood's 18 Outrageous Entertainment Lawsuits

But visually impaired individuals are increasingly troubled by the rise of touch-screen technology. Many banks have employed screen-reading ATMs, but Redbox, according to the lawsuit, "has chosen to rely on an exclusively visual interface."

This has made it difficult for them to access DVD-rental kiosks. "Blind people must rely on sighted companions or strangers to assist them in renting and returning DVDs at Redbox kiosks," says the complaint. "Blind people must also disclose personal information, including their zip codes, to these other individuals in order to complete a rental at the Redbox kiosks."

PHOTOS: Hollywood's Greatest Duels

The lawsuit is being brought by the Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired.

The group says that Redbox was informed of allegedly unlawful accessibility barriers in November, but that the defendant has failed to commit to accessible kiosks. The plaintiffs want an injunction to prohibit Redbox from violating the law and damages.

We've reached out to Redbox for comment.

E-mail: eriqgardner@yahoo.com

How exactly would a blind person put the DVD in the player? Also, if the action can be described by friends that leads to the assumption that the friend can see. Why not have a friend pick out the movie?

Some people are fuckin' 'tards.

Comment

LOL I don't understand how a blind person can have a movie as entertainment
      Last edited by SMKR; 01-14-2012, 05:47 AM.

Comment

What's next, braille on drive thru atm machines? Ohhh wait... LOL

Comment

Well, how the fuck did they get to the red box in the first place?

Comment

You guys are missing the obvious answer.

"Now, in a new class action lawsuit in California"

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              You guys are missing the obvious answer.

"Now, in a new class action lawsuit in California"
              No, I saw that, but I had a few questions before we even got onthe California part of it.

Comment

The idea that video entertainment should be accessible to the blind is like the idea that dog food should be more appealing to dolphins.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                  What's next, braille on drive thru atm machines? Ohhh wait... LOL
                  There's a good reason for that actually...or did you already know that and were just trying to make a funny?

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    The idea that video entertainment should be accessible to the blind is like the idea that dog food should be more appealing to dolphins.
                    Quoted for....truth? Hilarity? You decide.
                    Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                      "Blind people must also disclose personal information, including their zip codes
                      '
                      Seriously? The whole article just lost credibility. Oh no! Someone knows my ZIP CODE!?!?!?!

Comment

Shit, this girl at da club last night asked me for my zip code. I was like, damn girl, we just met!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          There's a good reason for that actually...or did you already know that and were just trying to make a funny?
                          Can you explain? I just figured so a blind person can still use it without telling the driver their pin number and such.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                            Can you explain? I just figured so a blind person can still use it without telling the driver their pin number and such.
                            All ATM's are manufactured the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                              To support this point, I'd like to enter into evidence Zeus and Roxanne. This heartwarming tale proves that dolphins value dogs for their friendship, not their food.

Comment

Working...
                              X