Studying tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying tips?

So, I quit my job selling Hondas last month to pursue other ventures. I am currently studying to get licensed to sell insurance, and i haven't had to study anything in almost 10 years lol. Needless to say its wearing my brain out quick. Anyone have some helpful things that you do to help you study, and absorb the material? Also maybe some things or habits that keep you focused? I go to the library for 4-8 hours a day to study because when at home, i'm either watching tv, doing chores, or on here and never get anything done. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

PS im still cool with all of the managers up at the Honda store, so if anyone needs anything let me know.

Step 1: Stop posting on DFWMustangs when you should be studying!
    Step 2: ???????
    Step 3: Profit !!!!
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

You're doing it right. Get away from distractions when you need to study like that. The Library is a great place.
      Men have become the tools of their tools.
      -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I found that writing stuff helped me exponentially at rememebering things. The hard part is picking out the important stuff to write, without copying everything and giving yourself hand cramps. I would usually bust out 30-45 minute study sessions, then step outside or take a walk around campus to give myself a break and get out of the monotony. Repeat a few times, and i'd be golden.

Good luck with your studies, i know at least 2 people who are dumb as rocks that have insurance licenses... so you should be fine.

Comment

Adderall!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
            library doesn't open till 10 and i don't like being there when they first open it because its cold as shit inside.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
              You're doing it right. Get away from distractions when you need to study like that. The Library is a great place.
              Cool. Yea the Frisco library is really nice, and there's a bunch of good looking hide in there.

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
              I found that writing stuff helped me exponentially at rememebering things. The hard part is picking out the important stuff to write, without copying everything and giving yourself hand cramps. I would usually bust out 30-45 minute study sessions, then step outside or take a walk around campus to give myself a break and get out of the monotony. Repeat a few times, and i'd be golden.

Good luck with your studies, i know at least 2 people who are dumb as rocks that have insurance licenses... so you should be fine.
              Yea i have been taking notes condensing about 5 pages of book into one page of notes. also made flash cards out of the terms in the back to study.

Originally posted by bjtheman1 View Post
              Adderall!
              GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post

Yea i have been taking notes condensing about 5 pages of book into one page of notes. also made flash cards out of the terms in the back to study.

penumonic devices.

Comment

break down what you have to study in portions. Master one, then move to the next. If you look at everything you need to study at once you will lose your mind. at least that was my experience in college.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                    fucking under ware Nome's.
                    Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                      Lol I get it.
                      yea underwear gnomes....i got it too

Comment

I'm quickly building a reputation as a nerd, but here goes:

It's good that you remove distractions to study - I never understood how anyone can learn while listening to music or watching TV. Unless maybe I'm just stupid, but whatev.

Determine what type of learner you are - do you remember things better when you see them, hear them, or speak them? I'm visual and have a bit of a photographic memory, so writing notes with boxes, pictures and symbols often helped me. If you're audio, you might get a study buddy so you can speak or hear what you need to learn.

My best tip is to make acronyms for lists you need to remember. For example, if the steps in a process are "Contact the owner, Listen to story, Assess damage, Inspect policy, and Measure the monetary impact" then remember the acronym "CLAIM" and be sure to study the pieces well. Then when you get to a test, at least you know "CLAIM" so you can write that down and fill in the parts as you remember them. You can also sub in other words if that works better - i.e. "Crush Learning And Improve Money!" Works best if it's funny or means something to you.

I'll see what else I can think of. Good luck! The more education and training, the better!

Comment

Originally posted by MandyZ View Post

It's good that you remove distractions to study - I never understood how anyone can learn while listening to music or watching TV. Unless maybe I'm just stupid, but whatev.

Determine what type of learner you are - do you remember things better when you see them, hear them, or speak them? I'm visual and have a bit of a photographic memory, so writing notes with boxes, pictures and symbols often helped me. If you're audio, you might get a study buddy so you can speak or hear what you need to learn.

My best tip is to make acronyms for lists you need to remember. For example, if the steps in a process are "Contact the owner, Listen to story, Assess damage, Inspect policy, and Measure the monetary impact" then remember the acronym "CLAIM" and be sure to study the pieces well. Then when you get to a test, at least you know "CLAIM" so you can write that down and fill in the parts as you remember them. You can also sub in other words if that works better - i.e. "Crush Learning And Improve Money!" Works best if it's funny or means something to you.

I'll see what else I can think of. Good luck! The more education and training, the better!
                          thanks

Comment

I've always done best by reading/researching whatever it is on my own, then hold discussions with other people who actually have knowledge on the subject and see if they call me a dumbass.

Comment

Originally posted by MandyZ View Post

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNerd Alert!

Comment

Working...
                              X