Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Google, Facebook or Amazon for a day...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Google, Facebook or Amazon for a day...?

Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Twitter considering “nuclear option” to protest SOPA

he battle against SOPA reached fever pitch just before Christmas when a Reddit-led boycott of Go Daddy over the domain registrar’s support for the controversial legislation led to some 37,000 domains leaving the company for greener, freedom-loving pastures. Go Daddy, meanwhile, is now buried in complaints that it’s improperly blocking domain transfer requests to rival Namecheap.

With debate over SOPA’s future tabled until Congress reconvenes, you might think the issue would have entered a similar lull, but that’s not happened. According to Markham Erickson, head of the NetCoalition trade association, there’s been talk of a so-called “nuclear option,” in which the likes of Google, Amazon, eBay, and Yahoo! would go simultaneously dark to protest the legislation to highlight the fundamental danger the legislation poses to the function of the internet.

There’s been no formal decision on the matter, and the companies in question obviously risk consumer anger and backlash over any suspension of services. There is, however, safety in numbers — and a few simple sentences identifying why the blackout is in place will ensure that the majority of the rage flows in the proper direction.

It’s a trump card that the likes of the MPAA and RIAA have no way of matching. There’s solid technical data behind the tech industry’s claims that implementing SOPA could damage the function of the internet, and plenty of evidence (some of it just weeks old) that copyright holders will abuse existing judicial processes to eliminate content they don’t like. The MPAA and RIAA are willing to talk about jobs lost to piracy in the abstract, but won’t (and can’t) promise that passing SOPA will allow them to hire thousands of Americans or create jobs in a statement they’d be held accountable for fulfilling.

There’s no information yet on when the blackout would occur, but the most likely date right now would be January 23. The Senate is scheduled to debate SOPA on January 24. Speaking in December, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid highlighted the importance of passing the legislation. “This is a bipartisan piece of legislation which is extremely important,” Reid said Saturday. “I repeat, it is bipartisan. I hope we can have a productive couple of days, pass this bill, and move on to other matters.”

Bring on the nukes.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

"In other news production in the work force skyrocketed today."
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
      Lol. Right.

Comment

I probably wouldn't have to work the rest of the week after that, because it would be the most productive day at work ever lol. Black out DFWM and I could take the rest of the moth off.

Comment

More Regulation BS.

Guess I'll be moving my domains off godaddy too.
          WRX

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
            I think it'd be a wash. Google + search terms is so much quicker and easier than walking to the other side of the room, picking up a stack of books, and trying to find the exact piece of information you're looking for.
            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Just one more step in grabbing the power.
              www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

SOPA de pollo??? SOPA de fideo??? Which one is it?
                2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
                2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

yea, this is an hot topic issue for me as well. i have a few domains that i've been debating on transferring over to a new registrar. and it can be an huge inconvenience with e-commerce domains, as they will go down for a while waiting for dns propogation.
                  Last edited by LS1Goat; 01-04-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I have no idea what any of that says or means, meanwhile the monkey in my head goes ching-ching-ching-ching-ching......

Comment

I totally agree that SOPA and PIPA are bad but there will be a huge unintended consequence if it passes.

The United States will lose control of the internet.

Right now the web is primarily managed by ICANN. SOPA and PIPA will allow for RIAA and other groups to pollute DNS with false entries without court action.

There has already been a movement afoot to render this action useless. There is a browser plugin called DeSOPA. It basically makes your browser stop using your DNS servers. There are other tools such as a decentralized DNS server method using bit torrent.

At the end of the day, this legislation kills DNS and kills US control of the internet. Domain names will no longer be regulated by ICANN. The law will have accomplished nothing in regards to piracy.

Comment

Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Twitter considering “nuclear option” to protest SOPA
                        They may be considering it, but it will never happen.
                        DamonH

Comment

man theres a movie like this

there it is

Comment

Google, at least, is being vocal about it's stand.
                            Today's Google logo:

Comment

Wikipedia too.

Comment

Working...
                              X