Police get locksmiths to enter homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police get locksmiths to enter homes

I don't care what the official 'reason' is, you do not enter someone's home without a warrant without their permission. I sincerely hope there is a lawsuit

Natural gas issue affecting 1,600 homes
    Crews going door-to-door to shut off gas

Updated: Thursday, 22 Dec 2011, 7:29 PM EST
    Published : Wednesday, 21 Dec 2011, 5:17 PM EST

By Courtney Caligiuri
    By Carl Sisson
    Field Reporting by Nicole Estaphan

WESTERLY, R.I. (WPRI/AP) - National Grid says crews are going to door-to-door in Westerly to close off the natural gas meters of 1,600 customers as it works on a distribution problem.

Utility spokesman David Graves says crews worked through the night and had secured about 800 meters by about 7 a.m., and the company might be able to start restoring service Thursday night, with the problem solved by Saturday.

Main Street and Canal Street are among the areas affected. Not only are those streets filled with homeowners, but businesses are also impacted by the issue.

"It’s going to be devastating to be without heat or power for this holiday season. It’s our crunch, time," said Molly Silva, a business owner.

If no one is home at the time, police officers along with a locksmith are entering homes to shut the valves off.

"Thank God no snow, no frost, no freezing temperatures yet. We just hope for the best. Hopefully we can get some things going for Christmas. I have a meal to prepare, hopefully we are good to go by then," said Westerly resident Mallory Carpenter.

After National Grid has checked each affected home, and the problem has been resolved, they will return to each home and business to turn the meters back on.

Officials said this is not an easy fix, and expect the process at least a day or so. Right now, no homes are in danger.

Graves says more crews are expected today from around Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

National Grid is asking that anyone in that area who does not have natural gas, to please call 1-800-640-1595.

Emergency shelter available for affected families

Due to the natural gas service interruption in parts of Westerly, the Westerly Police Department and the American Red Cross will be opening an emergency overnight shelter at 6:00 p.m. Thursday.

The Shelter, at the Westerly Senior Center, 39 State Street, will provide a meal and overnight accommodations for those families affected by the gas service interruption.

Copyright AP Modified, Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

They can turn it off at the meters, correct? Why the fuck are they entering homes?

Comment

Exactly. They can shut it off at the meters. Instead of the gas company getting permission to go in, police have decided that they can go get locksmiths and do it themselves.

Comment

They would freak out at my place; I have Medeco M3s on every door.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'm working on installing burglar bombs. I doubt they'd enjoy it

Looking for a non lethal home security self defense system? You've come to the right place. Check out our spray defense products here. Call for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
            They would freak out at my place; I have Medeco M3s on every door.
            Noted security expert Marc Weber Tobias contributes The Lockdown, exposing the shoddy security you may depend on. Medeco is the predominant high security lock manufacturer in the United States and has been trusted for more than thirty-five years to provide cylinder and hardware security for the private, commercial and government sectors. According to Medeco, their locks are utilized in such venues as the White House and Pentagon to afford the maximum in cylinder lock security. The m3 cylinder, released about 2005, is the Medeco star product, the flagship in the security company's state-of-the-art, designed to resist almost any form of attack. The lock touts its key control attributes based its unique integrated slider that adds another level of security to the lock. But if you are using these locks and think you're secure, you might just be surprised by what you can accomplish with a paperclip and a custom-cut shim.

Comment

I am well aware of this already. They guys who did this are top tier locksmiths who worked at it for more than a year to develop the techniques to open them.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

And doors come off the hinges fairly easily

Comment

Windows break, wood splinters. No building is ever secure.

Comment

Very true. Which is why I'm digging the burglar bomb

Comment

I could see this if there was immediate danger

Comment

Paranoia, self destroyer.

Comment

No paranoia at all. Police are using locksmiths to enter homes without warrant. Violation of the 4th amendment

Comment

I am sure there is a reason they have to enter the homes to shut the gas off. Not like they are going that route just to piss off the members of DFWMustangs....Plus its RI....They just do shit differant up that way....

Comment

If they are in the US, they are covered by the Constitution. 4th amendment applies

Comment

Working...
                              X