X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Countrywide bites BofA in the butt

again.

BofA in $335M settlement over Countrywide loans
    Bank of America to pay $335M in settlement with DOJ over discriminatory lending

By Nedra Pickler, Associated Press | AP – 13 minutes ago

Bank of America agreed to pay $335 million to resolve allegations that its Countrywide unit engaged in a widespread pattern of discrimination against qualified African-American and Hispanic borrowers on home loans.

The settlement with the U.S. Justice Department was filed Wednesday with the Central District court of California and is subject to court approval. The DOJ says it's the largest settlement in history over residential fair lending practices.

According to the DOJ's complaint, Countrywide charged over 200,000 African-American and Hispanic borrowers higher fees and interest rates than non-Hispanic white borrowers with a similar credit profile. The complaint says that these borrowers were charged higher fees and rates because of their race or national origin rather than any other objective criteria.

"These institutions should make judgments based on applicants' creditworthiness, not on the color of their skin," said Attorney General Eric Holder. "With today's settlement, the federal government will ensure that the more than 200,000 African-American and Hispanic borrowers who were discriminated against by Countrywide will be entitled to compensation."

Charlotte, N.C.-based Bank of America Corp. bought the nation's largest subprime lender, Countrywide Financial Corp., in 2008.

Dan Frahm, a Bank of America spokesman, said in a statement that the bank does not practice lending based on race.

"We discontinued Countrywide products and practices that were not in keeping with our commitment and will continue to resolve and put behind us the remaining Countrywide issues," Frahm said.

The United States' complaint says that Countrywide was aware that the fees and interest rates that its loan officers were charging discriminated against African-American and Hispanic borrowers, but failed to impose meaningful limits or guidelines to stop it.

By steering borrowers into subprime loans from 2004 to 2007, the complaint alleges, Countrywide harmed those qualified African-American and Hispanic borrowers. Subprime loans generally carried costlier terms, such as prepayment penalties and significantly higher adjustable interest rates that increased suddenly after two or three years, making the payments unaffordable and leaving the borrowers at a much higher risk of foreclosure.

"Countrywide's actions contributed to the housing crisis, hurt entire communities, and denied families access to the American dream," said Thomas E. Perez, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division.

The settlement amount will be used to compensate victims of Countrywide's discriminatory mortgage loans from 2004 through 2007, when Countrywide originated millions of residential mortgage loans as the nation's largest single-family mortgage lenders.

I can say that in my 5 years of working there. We didn't give a damn who was getting the loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      I can say that in my 5 years of working there. We didn't give a damn who was getting the loan.
      ^ this

<--- ex cwide employee

Comment

You furking arseholes are furking up our bottom line.

Comment

what about asians? doesn't anyone discriminate against them? or do they just not complain and whine like the blacks and mexicans?
          2011 Mustang GT
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            By steering borrowers into subprime loans from 2004 to 2007, the complaint alleges, Countrywide harmed those qualified African-American and Hispanic borrowers. Subprime loans generally carried costlier terms, such as prepayment penalties and significantly higher adjustable interest rates that increased suddenly after two or three years, making the payments unaffordable and leaving the borrowers at a much higher risk of foreclosure.

"Countrywide's actions contributed to the housing crisis, hurt entire communities, and denied families access to the American dream," said Thomas E. Perez, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division.

The settlement amount will be used to compensate victims of Countrywide's discriminatory mortgage loans from 2004 through 2007, when Countrywide originated millions of residential mortgage loans as the nation's largest single-family mortgage lenders.
            I would love to see some numbers on Credit scores and worthiness broke down by race.

Comment

I would love to see some numbers on Credit scores and worthiness broke down by race.
              It would just make us all puke...

Comment

You furking arseholes are furking up our bottom line.

What do you do at b of a?
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                  It would just make us all puke...
                  The term ninja rich wasn't just pulled out of thin air. I remember doing loan paperwork for guys making $40k a year, but owed $60k between credit card/Toyota 4 Runner/Sears/etc and then refinanced their house every 3-5 years, cashed-out the equity, or re-upped their 3/27 ARM loan and spent it on a vacation or other worthless shit and just dug the hole deeper. It doesn't matter what things cost, it's "How much a month?"

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    What do you do at b of a?
                    I work on the Large Corporate customer service side.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                      The term ninja rich wasn't just pulled out of thin air. I remember doing loan paperwork for guys making $40k a year, but owed $60k between credit card/Toyota 4 Runner/Sears/etc and then refinanced their house every 3-5 years, cashed-out the equity, or re-upped their 3/27 ARM loan and spent it on a vacation or other worthless shit and just dug the hole deeper. It doesn't matter what things cost, it's "How much a month?"

Countrywide crooks

Comment

Tangelo Mazillo got his monies, son!

Comment

Tangelo Mazillo got his monies, son!
                          That furker needs to be in Washington with Ken Lewis.

Comment

That furker needs to be in Washington with Ken Lewis.
                            He killed what little 401K i had in a matter of days

Comment

You mean the government sued them for charging people with bad credit more for their loans. After they dictated they make those loans in the first place?

I'm not even surprised any more.
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X