Was offered a job at Lexus..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
    Im always asking for help and I don't like that.
    Whether or not you appreciate your current job is not priority in this situation. Sack up, take this job and stick with it for awhile. If you don't like it, move on. This looks to be an opportunity to get more experience which is always a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
      Just make sure that if you decide to make the switch from 'Zone to Lexus, DON'T BURN THAT BRIDGE AT AUTOZONE!!!! Explain to them that you've been given an opportunity to make alot more money, but that it just came at you outta the blue...but make sure that they know that you absolutely love your current job. Make sure you do everything right so that if Lexus doesn't work out in "X" months, you've got a damn good chance at getting your old job back.

And hey, if you tell them you've gotten an offer to make more money, they MAY just give you a raise to keep you there (if you're the badass you say you are) :-D
      As I was reading through the responses, this is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Use this as a bargaining tool. If you're happy at AZ, let your bosses know, but that you have this other opportunity to make more money, and advance in the field.

With that said, at the last job I had I was like family. I worked for the guy that owned the company and worked with his son and son-in-law. Hell, I was a groomsman in his son's wedding. When times got tough, I was the first one to go, but I understood his reason. I make more money where I'm at now, but have to drive 30 minutes to work, versus about 10 minutes to the previous job. I work quite a few more hours a week, and only make a small amount of money more than I was making previously. However, now I have to work with, and put up with a bunch of fucking dickheads. On the 15th and end of the month everyone tries to push as many cars out as they possibly can, and stresses get high and things get overlooked. That's when even the nicest guys can turn into raging assholes.

Just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you do decide on though, Mike.

-Aaron

Comment

EVery mechanic I know wishes they would have chosen a different career field. Especially when they hit their 40s and all those aches and pains from contorting all day don't go away like they used to. I know you're all of 19 years old or so, and probably aren't thinking that long term, but the choices you make right now can get you stuck in a career for the rest of your life if you aren't savvy about it. I hope if you're out of high school you are at least going to community college, and not some idiotic "techical school" like Lincoln Tech.

Comment

Go for it, learn something new. They are not that bad to work on. Hell ive been a mechanic for a long time and learn something new everyday. Prove yourself and more money/better job will be in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
            Trainee, id shadow a tech I assume. The guy I'm talking to about this said that his boss was looking for another tech trainee.

He's 20 and does warranty engine work and all types of stuff. So I assume they are needing something more then a oil changer.
            Depends on how many tools you currently have. If not much, most of your money would go towards new tools to do your job leaving you pretty much in the same position you are now. $10.00/hr for management position........really?

On a side note, go for it. I need a toyota hookup.

Comment

If these jobs are just temporary, I'd take the auto mech job all day long. Moving to a new job always sucks, but it'll work out.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I worked as a tech at a dodge Chrysler jeep dealership and got my master in electrical systems and went as far as I could in diesel. My guess is that you will start out changing oil. They aren't gonna stick the FNG on warranty work on a Lexus. Primarily Lexus Corp wouldn't pay a warranty claim with you doing it. Once they have trained you with their schools then you will move up to tech. You will still get the shitty jobs though. Mostly small warranty stuff. Not much customer pay which is where the better money is. Working as a tech you will be paid on flat rate meaning a job only pays a certain amount of hours. For example if r&r a valve cover pays 3hrs and you do it in two you still get paid 3hrs. But if it takes you 5hrs cause you have never done it you still only get paid 3hrs. If you are ok with that then I say go for it. Just remember the life of a mechanic is feast or famine. There is no in between. With flat rate if there is no work there is no paycheck. When the bottom fell out of the economy the first thing people slacked on was their cars. Many a day I stood around doing nothing thinking of how it cost me money to go to work that day cause I had to pay for the gas to get there and only got paid for a half hour. Everything talisman said is spot on. The old guys at the shop told me to go work somewhere else. I should have listened. I now make less money than I did. A lot less. (bout $40000 a year less) but live with much less stress. And a tech school is the biggest waste of time if you do want to be a mechanic. If mechanic is what you want to do then take the job and start out changing oil. You will learn it. Can't tell you how many guys I have worked with that come out of UTI fresh and are confused as hell the first time they crawl under a truck that has driven a few miles in a field. Just my thoughts but if you don't take the job do they need someone that can fix anything electrical? Doubt my diesel experience will help any there. I hated it but was good at it and know how to make money at it.

.02 done now.
                Why put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the next day?
                -Fred Sanford

Comment

I am 41 and have friends my age that were Ford/Merc mech's and I can tell you they regret doing it. Dealerships kept closing down and work was thin most of the time leaving them broke with tool bills to pay. I would pass and look elswhere for a career, mech's get beat up over the years and it will affect your life.

Comment

As an ex-15 yr. technician for Ford I say No! Run away. Far, far away from the automotive industry. It sucks, it's cold in the winter and hot in the summer. There is no retirement and it's only fun for the first 5-10 yrs then it really sucks and your trapped.

Oh and X2 on Talisman and oh1bullit. They hit it spot on.
                    Last edited by td4087; 12-07-2010, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Good advise in here. Sorry but holding out for a 1.30/hr raise isn't exactly a career path you should be settling on.

I would either move careers or do that while you figure out another potential path.
                      WRX

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
                        Just make sure that if you decide to make the switch from 'Zone to Lexus, DON'T BURN THAT BRIDGE AT AUTOZONE!!!! Explain to them that you've been given an opportunity to make alot more money, but that it just came at you outta the blue...but make sure that they know that you absolutely love your current job. Make sure you do everything right so that if Lexus doesn't work out in "X" months, you've got a damn good chance at getting your old job back.

And hey, if you tell them you've gotten an offer to make more money, they MAY just give you a raise to keep you there (if you're the badass you say you are) :-D
                        X2

Comment

Sounds like a nice increase in pay, but you have to figure in your extra drive time, maintenance, and increase in fuel usage; if you add this in and the money still figures good and you can live with the extra road time then give it a shot. If it's going to hurt your schooling or put you behind in it then you're probably not gaining much. Chances are you'll still need the help from your folks, Tools are expensive trust me I've been buying them for almost 14 years now, and at 30 my back hurts everyday. It is cold in the winter, hot in the summer, but I still get satisfaction in seeing a car I repaired leave. There are days and cars that make me hate this job but all in all I still enjoy it. I was fortunate to have a good background in general things from growing up working on cars and bikes, and the guy I started under was kind enough to give me good instruction starting out. I never attended a tech or trade school, but had some ASE certs before I graduated High School. I just recerted all 8 fields of my Master ASE Cert for the second time.

I advise, as above, keep a good standing with autozone if you decide to switch so you have something to go back to if it doesn't work out.

Comment

I have worked at the Plano location for over 5yrs. The trainee program we offer will get your foot in the door of a very successful organization. You will start out slow, but this gets you the time to learn. I don't have a single complaint about my job, or the money for that matter. Just absorb all the information you can an don't come in acting like you know everything... Because you never will.

Chris

Comment

Several years ago, I was a part time PSM at Autozone. I started off as a "redshirt" and worked weekends and a few evenings. It was a lot of fun, and just a part time job. Once they get you into "management", I didn't have the time to do what I liked about the job: helping customers, installing batteries, etc. For that $1.50 an hour, they will work your ass OFF, and the hours can change at a moments notice.

Comment

there's some damn good advice in this thread! I totally agree with thinking long term. Take the job that helps with your long term (lifetime) goal of a career. If the lower paying job works with school, and is what you like, stay. If Lexus is more of the career you want, go there. Don't worry about asking your parents for help, that is what parents do. As a parent, my kids recieve all the support they need as long as they are doing somthing constructive. I'm sure they want you to succeed and be happy, otherwise you wouldn't be living with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X