Getting puppy started on raw diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting puppy started on raw diet

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking into putting the newest member of the family onto a raw diet of some sort but haven't ever done this before. I can't exactly go shoot a deer out back and leave it in the backyard for my dog to finish off.

She is a 7 week old Lacy dog....

Eventually I'd like to use her for tracking, heading & retrieving.

Just curious, why a raw diet?
    Get ready for the diarrhea!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xtine View Post
      It helped my dog's digestive system, and his shit was much easier to pick up with the shovel.

I used this guide here and common sense.

Comment

She is a cattle dog.... Plus I'm going to rely on her doing a whole lot of tracking out on the farm.

I've heard raw diets are the way to go with a Lacy dog. It's my first time to own one though.

Suppose to give your dog a really healthy life.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
          It helped my dog's digestive system, and his shit was much easier to pick up with the shovel.

I used this guide here and common sense.
          http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/switch.shtml
          What kind of dog do you have?

Comment

negative

My mastiffs did great on raw. I stopped due to the hassle it was for me. I was buying chicken necks from Pilgrims Pride in Dallas for $10/40lbs and would get 120lbs at a time. Also bought whatever was cheap a the grocery store and discount meats to add in. I was feeding my boy mastiff 5.5lbs a day and the girl 3.5-4. Thats a lot of freezer space.

Just give a good mix of raw meats, bones included. With such a young pup, start with something soft like necks or chicken backs. Do not give any other animal bones...they are to hard.

Good luck with your vet...some like it, some think you are crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
              What kind of dog do you have?
              a vicious baby eating soul stealing pit bull

he's a little bitch, just lays there all day. he's getting old going on 8 years.

By the way, its an expensive diet, or can get expensive quick.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                negative

My mastiffs did great on raw. I stopped due to the hassle it was for me. I was buying chicken necks from Pilgrims Pride in Dallas for $10/40lbs and would get 120lbs at a time. Also bought whatever was cheap a the grocery store and discount meats to add in. I was feeding my boy mastiff 5.5lbs a day and the girl 3.5-4. Thats a lot of freezer space.

Just give a good mix of raw meats, bones included. With such a young pup, start with something soft like necks or chicken backs. Do not give any other animal bones...they are to hard.

Good luck with your vet...some like it, some think you are crazy.
                I haven't thought about going up to pilgrims but that's probably what I'll have to do.... What did you do about feeding them organs, I know they're high in nutrition?

I can go shoot a rabbit, coyote or hogs..... But that's only when I'm out at the farm which is every other weekend. Thanks for the heads up! I haven't talked to my vet about this yet.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                  a vicious baby eating soul stealing pit bull.
                  I sort of want this dog to be a bit vicious.... She is going to have 158 acres of land she can run thru and I'm not trying to have her get ate by a coyote or torn up by a hog.

Eventually would be nice to have a pack of Lacy's since they are very pack oriented and love hog hunts. I'll need a pitbull for muscle though

Comment

I sort of want this dog to be a bit vicious.... She is going to have 158 acres of land she can run thru and I'm not trying to have her get ate by a coyote or torn up by a hog.

Eventually would be nice to have a pack of Lacy's since they are very pack oriented and love hog hunts. I'll need a pitbull for muscle though
                    The only time I see him get up is when a raccoon or possum get in the backyard and try to fuck with his food.
                    I WISH I had that much land to let him go crazy in, your dogs are lucky!
                    Last edited by roliath; 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

One more thing! If anyone knows any local butchers to the Dallas area that would give a good deal for a larger quantity let me know!

Comment

One more thing! If anyone knows any local butchers to the Dallas area that would give a good deal for a larger quantity let me know!
                        You might want to call Davids Meat Market in Garland. It's over off Jupiter between Beltline and Arapaho.
                        Originally posted by Jester
                        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                        He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                        Originally posted by Denny
                        What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                        FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          You might want to call Davids Meat Market in Garland. It's over off Jupiter between Beltline and Arapaho.
                          I used to live two streets down from David's, and that's where I would get a good number of our food for him (convenience purposes).

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            Thanks I'll have to give that a shot... I'm off the Lower Greenville area of Dallas. So anything more convenient would be great!

Anyone heard of http://boneaffiednutrition.com?
                            Last edited by papapepper; 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

There are a few models to use for raw feeding- the BARF diet as mentioned above and the prey model http://preymodelraw.com/ which is 80% meat , 10% bone, 10% organs. Raw diets are a very controversial subject within the veterinary world and your best bet is to do your research, determine what is best for you and your pup. I personally do not want to bother with the hassle of raw feeding so I choose a high quality kibble such as Blue or Taste of the Wild instead. Few things to consider-

1. Do you want to prepare your own raw diet or use pre-packaged raw? preparing your own is cheaper but definitely more of a hassle, uses more freezer space, etc. Joining a co-op for ingredients can be helpful if you prepare your own.

2. Puppies need specific nutrients for bone development and growth- you need to do your research to make sure you are providing the necessary dietary needs for a growing puppy. Utilizing the advice of a veterinarian with knowledge of raw diets would be preferred.

3. It's recommended that all game meat be frozen for a minimum of 21 days before feeding to reduce the potential for transmitting of parasites.

Comment

Working...
                              X