If Someone is Having a Seizure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Someone is Having a Seizure...

i understand the proper thing to do is turn them onto their side and put something (spoon?) into their mouth to keep them from swallowing their tongue.

my question is how do i insert the object into their mouth? hold their jaw and pull it apart? i am assuming the spoon would be to hold the tongue down?

a girl at my restaurant had a seizure the other night and i had no clue what to do. i have started researching the topic so i am better prepared. any help will be appreciated.

fwiw, she is ok and back at work...

Try swallowing your tounge. Go ahead, we'll wait.

How, and why, do people think someone's tongue is going to magically go backwards down their throat during a seizure?

WebMD tells you how to handle your child's seizures, and when to call an ambulance.

#1 thing NOT to do:

Don't put anything in the mouth. First of all, despite what you've heard, it's impossible to swallow your tongue and choke. While the child may bite his or her tongue during a seizure, trying to cram something in the mouth probably won't work to prevent this. You may also get bitten, or you may break some of the child's teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      Try swallowing your tounge. Go ahead, we'll wait.

How, and why, do people think someone's tongue is going to magically go backwards down their throat during a seizure?

WebMD tells you how to handle your child's seizures, and when to call an ambulance.

#1 thing NOT to do:
      so that part is a myth. i was wondering that. why is it such a common thing to say?

Comment

all you do is try to keep them from hurting themselves and never put anything in their mouth
        2004 Mustang GT: BBK shorty headers, BBK O/R X, Flowmaster catback, JLT cold air, Trickflow 75mm TB and Plenum, UD pulleys, upper and lower CA's, 3.73, SCT XCal 2 ---- SOLD

Comment

You just let them do their thing while holding them down. Or that is what I was taught to do.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            You just let them do their thing while holding them down. Or that is what I was taught to do.

The best thing to do while you're holding them down, is to slap them in the face with their own hand, while repeating,"Why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself?"

Comment

Paging Dr. Google!
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I was always told if its a hot chick, put it in her butt and see if you can hang on for 8 seconds.

Comment

Damn, 8 posts and nothing...
                  Yall are slacking!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMCev View Post
                    i understand the proper thing to do is turn them onto their side and put something (spoon?) into their mouth to keep them from swallowing their tongue.

my question is how do i insert the object into their mouth? hold their jaw and pull it apart? i am assuming the spoon would be to hold the tongue down?

a girl at my restaurant had a seizure the other night and i had no clue what to do. i have started researching the topic so i am better prepared. any help will be appreciated.

fwiw, she is ok and back at work...
                    No expert but Ive read that if they are on the ground just let them be. dont try to restrain them or put something in their mouth as that can hurt them even more, And putting you fingers in a somebodys mouth is asking for a world of hurt. Just make sure they have room so they dont knock something down on them self.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                      Damn, 8 posts and nothing...
                      Yall are slacking!
                      Well, you dont want to go for the obvious right off the bat!

Comment

I have had seizures when I was younger and while there is not much you can do but do not stick anything in their mouth. Choking on the tongue is impossible just like trying to lick your elbow. Just lay them on their side and let them do their thing. Another thing I would suggest is time it when a person starts to have one and call 911. If they have one for an extended period of time, they will start to have brain damage. I want to say 5 minutes is when brain damage starts. Maybe Dr Dave (or Dr Google) will chime in and verify that. Once out of it, get away from arms and legs reach as they could get violent without knowing it, they can have a ton of adrenaline. I was told about my last one when I was 15 I beat the shit out of 2 buffed paramedics and a nurse once in the ambulance and don't recall anything about that day after the seizure.

Comment

I have had a seizure before and my wife was told by the 911 operator to turn me on my side until it stopped and to keep me alert because I had stopped breathing and walked her through CPR

Comment

Just let them be and get shit out of their way so they don't hurt themselves.

Call 911 and follow their instructions.

My sister used to have them fairly often and now my niece has them at least weekly. It got to where we don't call 911 unless it lasts more than 5 minutes. For my niece, my sister carries rescue meds.

As already said, NEVER stick anything in their mouth, and don't try to restrain them unless they are about to hurt themselves.

Most of the time a seizure won't cause any lasting damage, and it will stop on its own, and the person will be sore, but fine. It's more important to find out the cause of them and address that. That said, if a person is having one for the first time, they need to go to the hospital to find out wtf is going on.

They are scary to witness and if you've dealt with them you probably wouldn't be quick to make jokes.

Comment

Where is Dr. Dave? Shouldn't he be in here talking down to people?

Comment

Working...
                              X