new camera help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
    The amount of megapixels isn't the end all be all of a good camera, they don't have anything to do with image quality. Those cameras are cheap for a reason. Just remember, it's going to look like a decent image until you put it next a high res image to compare it to.

Well, I don't care enough about it to know all the specs off the top of my head, but Danny was bitching on the Roadtrip that his spanking new camera was taking shitty pictures compared to my two year old one.

Comment

I got my wife the T3i last xmas. It is easy to use and takes great pictures.

There are some good deals on Amazon for this camera and others.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Well, I don't care enough about it to know all the specs off the top of my head, but Danny was bitching on the Roadtrip that his spanking new camera was taking shitty pictures compared to my two year old one.
        There are certainly some cameras on the market that are way over hyped and overpriced. There is no shortage of companies trying to make big returns on inferior products. I was more or less just responding to your post so that anyone else reading didn't misinterpret your post and think that megapixels is all they should consider when purchasing a point and shoot. Point and shoot cameras do have their place and that usually lies with those that want a simple no hassle/no fuss camera that is easy to carry, easy to use, and that works as advertised creating a clear image with somewhat minimal resolution. Obviously the point and shoot cameras are still a desirable product or they would have faded out by now. Main thing is as long as you're happy with it that's all that really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post

One of the better entry level D-SLR offerings from Canon, IMO. Hard to go wrong with that purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefer Rae View Post
            T2i is awesome and the bundle with the 55-200 lens is a great deal for what you will be doing . For sports get a monopod and a extra battery pack . Buy a bunch of 4 gig memory cards so you aren't looking for that one pic on the 32 gig one .
            IMO, unless you can remember every photo you took and which card has the photo you're looking for it's about the same amount of time. Personally I find it easier to look through the 1 large card rather than looking through 4 or 5 smaller ones, but to each their own.

Comment

We need to make a Camera Buyers Guide sticky or something lol.

All good advice on here. Canon/Nikon or bust. I currently shoot with a Canon 60D and love it (i'll probably not buy another DSLR without an articulating screen). My first DSLR was a Nikon and it was great.

I also use small memory cards. I subscribe to the "dont put your eggs in the same basket" mantra. I shoot JPEG mostly and have hardly ever had to dig out that third memory card. Its not hard to remember what you shot when youre using 2-3 cards.

Comment

The Nikon D7000 is a LOT of camera for the money, and has dual memory slots.

Comment

Is that Nikons "entry level" pro camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                    I believe they consider it mid-range.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                      I'm not really sure what it is considered, but here are the specs:

•High Resolution 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor
                      •Breathtaking Full 1080p HD Movies with Full Time Autofocus
                      •High Speed 6 frames per second continuous shooting up to 100 shots
                      •Dynamic ISO range from 100 to 6400
                      •Ground-breaking 2,016-pixel RGB (3D Color Matrix) sensor
                      •Customizable 39 point AF System
                      •EXPEED 2 image processing and 14-bit A/D Conversion
                      •Compact but durable with magnesium-alloy top and rear covers, superior weather and dust seals
                      •Large Bright Glass Pentaprism Optical Viewfinder
                      •3 Inch, 921,000-dot Super-Density LCD Monitor
                      •Twin SD Card Slots

•Fast Start-Up time of 0.13 sec and Short 50ms Shutter Lag
                      •Built-in Speedlight flash with i-TTL
                      •Compact EN-EL15 Battery
                      •Optional MB-D11 multi-power pack
                      •Built-in HDMI Connection
                      •Two User Definable Settings (U1, U2) right on the Mode Selector Dial
                      •Active D-Lighting
                      •Picture Control
                      •Versatile Scene Modes
                      •Virtual Horizon Graphic Indicator

The bolded features are really something to look at.

I have talked to a LOT of wedding photogs that shoot Nikon and these cameras make great back ups for the money.

Hell, if I weren't waiting on Nikon's next upgrade to the D700, I'd have one of these already.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post

i got my wife the t2i, for christmas last year...i think they're the same, other than the flip out screen. it takes great pics, and the video is excellent as well. (1080p hd, i believe)

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
                          Not a DSLR but seems to be a nice camera and deal:

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

Canon Rebel T2i no tax FS: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tag=slicinc-20
                          That SX230 HS is a pretty damn good deal right there. I have that camera with a 16gb card..it takes DAMN good photos, excellent video's (with stereo sound), has decent battery life, has a good zoom lens, is EASY to use (thats a plus for a woman who typically won't like having to mess with tons of settings and adjustments), and it is about the size of a deck of cards so it easily fits in a standard pants pocket. I looked at a variety of cameras and this one had the overall best features and reviews so I went with it. I'm not sorry I did. I love it.

Comment

+1 to what they are all saying. Canon & Nikon > *

I've always shot Canon. I currently have a 60D and I wont get another camera unless it's a full frame or a 1D Mark 2 or 3 for my bad weather shots.

Comment

Damn I need to read all of this thread, but Elvis i'm selling my Nikon gear to make the move to canon for video.

D90, 18-55, 35mm, 55-200, sb600 for 950.

Comment

how is this one on woot?? we are far from pros or or really interested in anything other than pics of Jr. and the fam and such.

Canon EOS Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS Lens
                                $399.99
                                + $5 shipping
                                Condition: New Product: 1 Canon EOS Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS Lens

god bless.
                                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                                X