new camera help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new camera help

whats a good camera i can get the old lady for christmas? is it dslr that everyone on here is talking about all the time? would like to spend about 1k and dont really wanna have to buy all kinds on lenses and such. will mostly be used for Jr's sports games and stuff. the pics from the little pocket sony camera we have now suck.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
    whats a good camera i can get the old lady for christmas? is it dslr that everyone on here is talking about all the time? would like to spend about 1k and dont really wanna have to buy all kinds on lenses and such. will mostly be used for Jr's sports games and stuff. the pics from the little pocket sony camera we have now suck.

god bless.
    You are going to hear either one of two brands from everyone who posts in this thread. Canon(I've owned 4) or Nikon. It is going to come down to a preference on feel and camera menu options IMHO. They are both great quality brands and both take amazing pictures. There are several models out there with combo packages that you can get in your price range. I would go to your local BB or camera store and play around with a couple and find what you think you or your old lady would like to use.

I have had 4 Canons and look to get our 5th after the holidays. I have stuck with them because my flash, lenses, and accessories are all canon; but Nikon makes some killer cameras as well.

You may want to look at costco and sams as well for some of their package deals on DSLR's.

Comment

I chose the Canon EOS 30D way back when for my wife. Generally for one reason, after reading 1001 reviews and opinions I came to the conclusion it was a little easier to use for a novice user.

Like posted above, people love them both. I've seen professionals using both. Although the professional level I do see Nikon more, but that could be coincidence and I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. The Canon Rebel series is pretty good.

However, with these higher end cameras - you really don't seeing their full potential until you start buying the good lenses/flashes.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I'm not well-versed on all the ins and outs of DSLRs, nor do I want to drop that kinda coin for one.

The best thing I've seen as far as a "point and shoot" camera is the Canon SX40 HS. It'll run you about four bills or so, but I played around with it and several others and it is tons better than anything else I have looked at.

Comment

Unless she is really a photography nut, spending that much on a camera is a waste IMO. I've got a little point and click Nikon the size of my iPhone; 11 megapixels and cost around 200 a couple of years ago. Takes some pretty quality pictures IMO.

Comment

plus i gotta new job for the RR, so skrilla is obv. no object!

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Nikon D7000

Comment

My next camera:

Comment

My brother is a professional photographer and we were in the same dilemma. We wanted one for Christmas and didn't quite know what to get. He's a Canon man and suggested the Canon Rebel T2i. We got it online from B&H Photography (where he buys all his stuff ) for $605 (retail in the stores is about $750 - they have a sale on them right now). Pretty impressive specs from my point of view. It has great reviews online (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/). I like the fact that it does 1080p video. Any way. It's being delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to start playing with it.

Well crap. Just looked it up on their website...they dropped the price even more. I wonder if they'll refund the difference. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

Comment

I picked up the Nikon D3100 package from Costco after watching the price fluctuate anywhere from $729 to $999. It came with two lenses, a cool camera bag, charger, dvd's, anything and everything a camera idiot like me could want. It's got more functions than I'll ever use, but it takes bad ass (to me) pictures just using the auto function or the other preset functions on the dial. I've never used it in manual mode and probably won't ever have the time to learn. I wish I would have bought this thing before the kiddo came along instead of almost a year after.

Comment

Not a DSLR but seems to be a nice camera and deal:

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

Canon Rebel T2i no tax FS: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tag=slicinc-20

Comment

What about the new Nikon 1? I have not held one, but they look pretty impressive...
                        Wife wanted one but she wanted to carry it in her purse so we ended up with the S8200

Comment

T2i is awesome and the bundle with the 55-200 lens is a great deal for what you will be doing . For sports get a monopod and a extra battery pack . Buy a bunch of 4 gig memory cards so you aren't looking for that one pic on the 32 gig one .
                          The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            Unless she is really a photography nut, spending that much on a camera is a waste IMO. I've got a little point and click Nikon the size of my iPhone; 11 megapixels and cost around 200 a couple of years ago. Takes some pretty quality pictures IMO.
                            The amount of megapixels isn't the end all be all of a good camera, they don't have anything to do with image quality. Those cameras are cheap for a reason. Just remember, it's going to look like a decent image until you put it next a high res image to compare it to.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                              plus i gotta new job for the RR, so skrilla is obv. no object!

god bless.
                              you got promoted to head bedazzler at Roca Wear?

Comment

Working...
                              X