Unexploded 1.8 TON WWII bomb forces evac in Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexploded 1.8 TON WWII bomb forces evac in Germany

Had to evacuate 45,000 people. Holy shit! Interesting read about all the other ones they seem to regularly find.

BERLIN (AP) — Nearly half of the 107,000 residents of Germany's western city of Koblenz had to leave their homes Sunday as experts prepared to defuse a 1.8 ton World War II-era bomb discovered in the Rhine river.
    It's one of Germany's biggest bomb-related evacuations since the war ended, and some 2,500 police officers, firefighters and paramedics were on duty across the city to secure the operation.

Authorities set up shelters in parts of Koblenz farther away from the bomb site, and shuttle buses were on hand in the morning to carry residents to safety.

The evacuation of some 45,000 residents living within a radius of about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the bomb site was finished by early Sunday afternoon, the city said on its website.

The British bomb could cause massive damage if it exploded. It was found last week alongside a 275-pound U.S. bomb and a smoke grenade after the Rhine's water level fell significantly due to a prolonged lack of rain. All the devices were to be defused Sunday.

Finding unexploded bombs dropped by the Allies over Germany is common even more than 65 years after the war's end. The explosives are usually defused or brought to a controlled explosion without causing injuries.
    Officials have built a dam of hundreds of sand bags around the bomb site in the river bed to pump water out in preparation for the delicate task. Bomb experts started defusing the bombs early Sunday afternoon, Koblenz firefighter spokesman Heiko Breitbarth said.

Train and road traffic has come to a halt in the area, some 130 kilometers northwest of Frankfurt. Seven nursing homes, two hospitals and a prison with some 200 inmates in Koblenz were also evacuated.
    "Please close your houses and apartments, close your windows and, if possible, the shutters. Please think of bringing sufficient quantity of any medicine you might need," residents were advised by the city via leaflets and radio transmissions.

Several hundred city officials went from door to door Sunday morning, ringing the bells to check whether any residents had failed to evacuate the area.

The residents of Koblenz, which was heavily bombarded during WWII, are somewhat used to bomb scares. City officials said 28 smaller war bombs had been found there since 1999, the German news agency dapd reported. Such WWII bombs in Germany are often found during construction work or by farmers plowing their fields.

It takes some cajones to defuse something like that. I know nothing about bombs but I'll go ahead and make an uneducated assumption that it would be more volatile after sitting underwater for so long (corrosion, etc).

Comment

So is it a dropped bomb that didnt explode? I guess i want to know the reason it is there.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        So is it a dropped bomb that didnt explode? I guess i want to know the reason it is there.

Well, someone probably didn't just drive it to a river and push it in.

Comment

mstang86 must have left himself logged in at Stanley Tweedledum's house.

Comment

Did you sleep through school when they talked about World War II.

Comment

I meant the exact purpose. The article didnt say what type of bomb. It could have been placed there to fuck up the river and flood the town for all we know.

Jesus fuck, i probably shouldnt post after being up all nighr.

Comment

I meant the exact purpose. The article didnt say what type of bomb. It could have been placed there to fuck up the river and flood the town for all we know.

Weapons were being mass produced like crazy back then. Stuff didn't always work. Carpet bombing was how payloads were delivered, not the 6 inch pin point accuracy we see today. Go to sleep. Your common sense is tired.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                  Did you sleep through school when they talked about World War II.
                  I guess he did. But yes, Germany was bombed literally 24 hours a day for 3 years , 1942-45. Finding these unexploded bombs happens all the time. Hell, a popular hobby in Europe is "aircraft archeology", there are old crash sites everywhere, since roughly 50,000 aircraft were shot down 1939-45

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                    It takes some cajones to defuse something like that. I know nothing about bombs but I'll go ahead and make an uneducated assumption that it would be more volatile after sitting underwater for so long (corrosion, etc).

Damn right it takes some cajones.

The explosives used by the US and British forces were very stable. If the casings are still watertight the explosives inside are probably still in excellent condition. That fuse, on the other hand, is something else. For some reason it didn't arm before hitting the river. Maybe it was defective or dropped by a plane flying too low (or crashing) for it to arm completely. I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity when they attempt to defuse the bombs.

Edit: successfully defused.
                    Last edited by slow84lx; 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM.

Comment

lol

It's a river, not a dam.

Interesting that Germany is experiencing a drought. And I'd kill to go on a tour of Europe looking for WWII aircraft wrecks.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

simple fix. small shape charge cone suspended above shell. The shape charge goes off and hopefully fires a stream of hot burning explosive into the shell of the bomb's internals. It literally burns it from the inside instead of detonating.

(edit: this was in Afghanistan) They found a 500kg Soviet bomb a few feet from the runway while doing mine clearing. After 3 days of planning, half the base was evac'd to the otherside. They were prepared for an above ground detonation of the entire bomb but in the end you couldn't even hear the shape charge go off.

Near 2ton and that would rock your fucking world even miles away.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Ok, nobody is going to believe this shit:

I was in Koblenz this summer on vacation, and it was my first day in Germany. I was jet lagged as hell and I had just arrived at my hotel right on the Rhine River. The woman at reception gave me a flyer that said "all guests must leave hotel between the hours of 4:00 and 7:00 for the excavation of a bomb" (I can probably find a picture of the flyer). She told us that it was unexploded WWII bomb right next to the hotel. They had set up a beer garden for us a block away though, so I had a few even though I would have sold my soul to get some rest.

A local radio station interviewed me to get an American viewpoint on the situation. I told them that this was very unexpected and that I did not know such things were still an issue. Anyways, the bomb got excavated successfully and I was never happier to get to bed.

I just thought it was crazy that they found another bomb in the same place I was at!
                          Originally posted by lincolnboy
                          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

^^ I don't believe you.

Everyone knows germans don't drink beer, no way they set up a beer gasrden!

Comment

Makes me think of the ending of Rambo II (just saw it again not long ago).

Cool and a bit crazy all at the same time. Awesome to see a relic from a war of the past, like that tank that they pulled out of a lake, but with a high propencity of further destruction.

Comment

Working...
                              X