Even appliances say "FTP"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even appliances say "FTP"!

This has been a shitty week for appliances in my home.

Thanksgiving week my 4 year old Maytag Atlantis took a dump. I found out the tub was seized and it caused the motor to run thereby melting the nylon pulley. Since the pully was turning, the belt also had a huge worn spot in it.

Just my luck you can't just buy the pulley. You have to buy the whole motor assembly for $135 plus tax/shipping. The belt is a paltry $25 plus tax/shipping.

So, I'm into the machine for $180 and that doesn't even address the reason it went south in the first place. I could spend upwards of $300 on it just to have a working 4 year old machine that the transmission or water pump could go out at any time.

Screw that.

I decided to get a new one on Monday since there were some great sales going in.

I checked the major retailers and found a Maytag Cabrio (commercial grade) washer normally $800 for $500 at Lowes. I found one in stock at the Lowe's on Eastchase/30. I bought it online and went to pick it up (guaranteed 20 minute pick up). I went to customer service, presented my printed reciept and the gal went to the back. 15 minutes later she was MIA, so I went to the appliance section. She was on the phone so I asked another guy what the problem was. He said that they didn't have any in stock. I'm like "WTF??" It showed you had one in stock, and I bought it, my printout shows that. He said that the inventory didn't match what was online.

Great.

So, they cancelled the order. I asked if another Lowe's had one, and he said yes. There was a store that has 6 in stock.

In Granbury.

So, I went home to pick up kids at 4 pm, and after dropping them off at 4:30, made the 1.25 hour trek to Granbury via FM roads. Once I got there, my washer was waiting on me, and I was outta there in 10 minutes. Great! I drove the 1.25 hours home and got it unloaded. I was hungry as could be, but I wanted to get the thing installed.

That's where things went bad. I freaking cross threaded the water inlet valve (they are so intelligently made of plastic now). I muscled it on thinking I could make it work. When I turned on the water, it was like I was at Niagra Falls with water was shooting every direction.

I turned it off, and disconnected everything.

Now I'm mad at myself for rushing it. I get online and find that the part is about $80.

Tuesday morning I start calling around and nobody has it today. I have to order it from U-Fix-It on Westmoreland and I20. I paid over the phone and it was about $75.

Awesome, I'm digging into my hooker/blow fund.

So, yesterday I get the call at noon that the part is in. I drive over and pick it up. I get to the house and the install goes flawless thanks to a Youtube video showing the replacement on my model of machine.

I start doing some catch up laundry and this new 4.0 cubic foot washer is pretty damn cool. I throw the last load into the dryer and hit the sack thinking all is well in the world..

Until I get up and the clothes in the dryer are still wet. I run the dryer and there is ZERO heat.

FABULOUS!

Dryers are easy-peasy, so I disassemble it and sure enough there is a break in the heating element coil. I call U-Fix-It and luckily THOSE are in stock so for another $70 I can get another one. I run over today and pick it up and get it put back together. It gave me an excuse to clean out around the machine, it's surprising how much lint can get everywhere. While I had the dryer out, I fired up the 210mph leaf blower and blew out the exhaust. Now my roof has lint everywhere.

So, the moral of the story is I was screwed this week. I sure hope you guys had a better one.

Decided you were bored and would type it all out huh haha. Man what a beating!
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

At least you can warsh ur britches now!
      Ded

Comment

LMMFAO!

Sorry Matt, but that shit is funny bro.

I could regale you with stories of my having to spend 5k on my 'new' F250 after it broke down three times within the first two months of ownership but that wouldn't really help you to feel better about this...
        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Could have been worse. Could have been a Sony TV.

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
            Decided you were bored and would type it all out huh haha. Man what a beating!
            After the dryer went out, I figured "eff it"..

Originally posted by vadertt View Post
            At least you can warsh ur britches now!
            When you look in your drawer and there are 2 pair of underwear left, drastic times call for drastic measures!

Originally posted by mikec View Post
            LMMFAO!

Sorry Matt, but that shit is funny bro.

I could regale you with stories of my having to spend 5k on my 'new' F250 after it broke down three times within the first two months of ownership but that wouldn't really help you to feel better about this...
            I would be pissed!

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Shhhh, my 50" plasma might hear you!

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
              When you look in your drawer and there are 2 pair of underwear left, drastic times call for drastic measures!

Lol, thats every two weeks for me (and I only own 5pairs).
              Ded

Comment

Can I have the drum from you old one?
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  Can I have the drum from you old one?
                  It's in the dumpster at work. I'm not sure when they empty it.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    ?? I have a Sony....something I should know?

I thought Maytag's didnt need repairs...
                    Originally posted by Sean88gt
                    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

It's in the dumpster at work. I'm not sure when they empty it.
                      Yeah, I'm not dumpster diving in the cop's dumpster. I'm scared of dirty needles and dead hookers.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                        ?? I have a Sony....something I should know?

Yeah, shit breaks.
                        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                          Yeah, shit breaks.
                          Yeah, I learned that one a LOOOONG time ago
                          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            Yeah, I'm not dumpster diving in the cop's dumpster. I'm scared of dirty needles and dead hookers.
                            Might find some good sheet from the evidence locker in there...
                            Last edited by Gtracer; 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

So, the moral of the story is I was screwed this week. I sure hope you guys had a better one.
                              I was coming home for lunch, and as I walked up to the gate I rolled my ankle over, either spraining it severely or breaking something in it. I hobbled to the door, only to realize the whole side of the yard was flooded, from the front to the fence in the back about 200 feet away. I half crawl to the meter after half crawling to the truck to get a shut-off key, shut the meter off, and by the time I get nack to where the water ws bubbling up it had stopped. I get back into the house, grab a couple pain pills and was them down with a shot of bourbon.

I now get to dig up the front yard with a severely fucked up ankle. My week isn'ty looking so good.

Stevo
                              Originally posted by SSMAN
                              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X