Business owners... how would you handle this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business owners... how would you handle this

Some relatives of mine own a small business that they've operated for the last 40 years. Its treated them pretty well all things considered. They're looking at retirement in about 2 or 3 years, and in all likelihood I'll be taking over after the decide they're ready to retire. At least, until I get tired of it and hand it off to a cousin lol. We've both worked there off and on for many years and know the business inside and out.

So here is the deal. The company has what I call a problem employee. Ever known anyone that time after time after time, they've proven that they're just a bad person? That is my opinion of this employee. Not someone who's just made you mad or hurt your little feelings or something, I'm talking about someone who is just... bad. But, the relatives view this person as a key employee cause she will always be available. And the work that she does isn't always required. Sometimes she's needed, other times she's not. She may work for 3 weeks, but then be off a week. That's usually about how it goes. But she is always available simply for the fact that imo, its unlikely that she could work anywhere else. And be able to keep the job, anyway. She likely couldn't get along with any of the other employees for any length of time due to her many numerous personality flaws. But here, she works with another woman who is her sister inlaw so she is sort of forced to be somewhat... professional.

She's worked there ever since I was a kid, so she's a long term employee. The other employees all seem to have a strong dislike of her, and I know why. I know she has stolen from the business with some frequency, and gets involved in affairs of the business that are not her place such as trying to get the other employees to insist on raises or higher pay. As in, either they all get a big raise, or they don't work until they do. And its all unskilled labor so of course there is a cap on how much they need to be getting paid. She's actually had success doing that a few times. Or if anyone has any kind of side work for any of the other employees, she makes it her business to somehow get involved and try and make sure that they're paid way too much. That usually doesn't pan out, but it gives you an idea of who I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure she even killed the neighbor's dog that growled at her. There is a neighboring business right across the street, and the owner had some kind of mutt that he had for about 9 years. I know those people as well, and everyone loved the dog.

But it hated people throwing rocks at it and one time it was behind her car and she threw rocks at it to get it to go away. So it growled. From then on she talked and talked about how much she hated the dog and how bad he was and how she would be glad if it died. A few years later she was joking and laughing about having poisoned the dog to death. I helped the guy bury his dog cause it ended up that it had died on our side of the road and I just thought I'd be nice cause he's an older guy who probly would have had a hard time digging the hole. It looked uninjured, but very bloated up and had been foaming at the mouth or something. I can remember at the time, we were confused as to what had killed it. He had seen it acting just fine a few hours earlier and it wasn't anywhere near the road and didn't appear to have been hit by a car. Besides, this dog had long known to stay out of the way of cars. So while I have no proof that she did anything to the dog, knowing this person I would not doubt it one tiny little bit. So to get to the point, she is related to, and even lives near some of the other employees. If "laid off", word would eventually get around to her that she'd been replaced. If fired, I know that she's vindictive enough to cause some kind of future problems. Probably real bad problems. So to all the other small business owners out there with half a dozen/a dozen employees... what would you do? How would you handle the situation? Eventually it will be mine to deal with and I think I'm through with all the problems she causes. I'm trying not to look at this from a personal standpoint, but rather a professional one. Even though I personally don't approve of her or her lifestyle, (i won't even go into her lifestyle) I'm trying to keep that out of it. I think she's just bad for the business. I think she hurts a lot more than she helps.
    Last edited by SMEGMA STENCH; 11-29-2011, 03:41 AM.

It's Texas, you can fire her for not liking her.

The most professional answer is to start documentation. Give her negative reviews/counseling in paper, sit down with her and discuss it, tell her what will happen if it keeps up (she will get fired) and then both of you sign the document. This is her prefiring warning. Fire her on the next fuck up. You can also give her an initial performance counseling telling her what you expect her to do and not to do. If she violates this, you fire her.

But really, that's all pretty involved. Like I said, it's Texas, fire her.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. I feel like I know her well enough to know that I would need this documentation in the future. As in, when it came time for me to have her banned from the premises or have charges filed. She's never been written up for anything cause the relatives don't want to anger her into quitting. As if she would. They really do believe she's irreplaceable. I know she is not. There may be some degree of difficulty in replacing her, but she's not irreplaceable.

Comment

What's the business? What does she do?

Comment

Is she white? I hope she is white for your own good.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

i didnt have to read past long term, works when needed to.......thats all i care about. in my business (landscape) we have lots of times that we work and then off for a bit (usually only in winter), but i can put up with alot from someone when they are loyal to showing up whenever i need them

Comment

It sounds like she's on call. Don't call her in. When she calls looking for work, say you don't need her.

Comment

Just play it cool until it's time to take the business over, then when you move in, call a meeting, and announce layoffs due to budget cuts. Put her at the top of the list. Honestly, I'd go through the books waaaay before hand and find out what everyone costs versus what they produce, and make the choice about money, if you can. Beyond that, if she tries to, "strike," on you like she did them, remind her she's not in a union, and fire her. You can fire her in Texas for no reason, but if you fire her because y'all don't get along, you'd better have a ton of documentation of her creating a hostile work environment, or her being insubordinant. I'm assuming by your saying you don't approve of her lifestyle, she's gay, or something else that's a protected class. Do not under any circumstances bring your disapproval of her personal life into this. Not even if you're super mad at her, and y'all are in a verbal altercation. Let her lose her cool, and let the discussion be about performance. You're just her boss, and this is just business.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

When I have someone who is not working out I drop them like a hot rock. "Your fired" rolls off of my tongue easily.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Post ten: Pics!
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Kill yourself. That's the only logical solution. Dumbass.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

How do I ignore this bafoon?

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
                          How do I ignore this bafoon?
                          View his public profile. Go to User list and add to Ignore List. Problem solved. If you have any issues, then send me a PM.
                          Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
                          http://www.titantowing.net
                          -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                            I'm assuming by your saying you don't approve of her lifestyle, she's gay, or something else that's a protected class.
                            Oh not even close. She's probably banged half the men in my town. She's like some kind of huge pervert. Its kind of gross. All while married. That's what I have a problem with if I was asked my opinion about her personal life. But like you said, that isn't important. I was just saying that the layoff thing wouldn't really work out well cause due to her being related to one of the other employees (who happens to be a good employee) and living near a few of the others, (as in on the same street). She'd get wind of it eventually and come asking why someone else had the job she was laid off from. Cause she'd have to be replaced. Without her there would be insufficient personnel for the job.

And if "laid off" she'd come back around fairly regularly and keep calling and asking for work. Likely for years. She'd show up all the time just to "talk" to the other employees. To my knowledge, she's been fired from everywhere else that she has attempted to work, during the off periods when she isn't needed here. So her awful personality would dictate that she would really need to get back to work somewhere where she was tolerated.

Comment

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I see.

Comment

Working...
                              X