Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetical question- if someone dies, are you required by law to notify anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical question- if someone dies, are you required by law to notify anyone?

i know its the humane thing to do, but does law state anywhere a certain person, group, entity must be notified when a person dies/passes away?

Originally posted by JFurst View Post
    i know its the humane thing to do, but does law state anywhere a certain person, group, entity must be notified when a person dies/passes away?
    You going to bury them in the backyard?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      You going to bury them in the backyard?
      backyard? No, but on the property, hypothetically saying.

Comment

Originally posted by JFurst View Post
        backyard? No, but on the property, hypothetically saying.

Well, I have no idea. I'd wondered that myself before with people who live in the country and have family graveyards and such, but that doesn't answer your question. I would think it would be a good idea to notify the police, even if there isn't a law, just so that foul play isn't suspected later when someone finds out unexpectedly.

Comment

Generally, once the death certificates are issued, the county is notified by the funeral home... no death certificate, I think you're in the clear... probably illegal to bury them on your property as well.

mardyn

Comment

I'm pretty sure there needs to be a notice of death filed, and a death certificate issued by the medical examiner. Autopsies are not required, unless requested, or suspicious circumstances are involved.

Comment

I bet it's illegal to not report them to the Social Security Department and they get notified by the funeral director or police. Also, I'm sure you cant bury them at your property. Also, you know the IRS has there hands in the estate taxes so if it's not reported I bet there could be tax crimes.

Comment

reason i ask is b/c this came up this weekend at a family get together. supposedly a father died in arkansas 6 years ago and his wife buried him in a well on the property. she notified no one and for 6 years collected his retirement. thus it prompted this question/discussion

Comment

yeah pretty sure that would be illegal. Esp given the scenario you put up

Comment

Yes, a person needs to be pronounced dead and issued a death certificate. Even a John/Jane Doe. This can be even done by a Justice of the Peace in some cases.
                    Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-06-2010, 02:07 AM.

Comment

she put him in the well

Comment

holy shit
                        buried him in a WELL?

Comment

poison the well

god bless.
                          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Don't drink the water!!

Comment

Working...
                            X