Christmas Ideas Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Ideas Thread

I have been racking my brains over what to get close family and friends for the holidays and thought it would be great to start an ideas thread. Everyone in my family buys stuff when they want it. So far I have come up with these items, post up what you've got. The key is cheap and fun. I am the gift coordinator in my family, I tell people what to buy and typically coordinate several like gifts from other members. *If images don't work its because I am hot-linking from websites that are blocked to you.

My wife is a book worm. Easy, getting her a a fancy new Kindle Touch. If you've got a reader in the family, this gift for less than $100 will please anyone. Don't fork out for the expensive 3G version, these little e-readers have an outstanding capacity -they can download several books before a trip. If they are very-frequent travelers, then consider it. Also, these e-readers come with-and-without special offers. Essentially ads that run when you are not reading on the device. The battery life is a couple months, btw.

I am having my wife's mother get her a carry case with integrated light that is powered by the kindle itself. That's two gifts, for one idea.

Next on the list, Bucky Balls. Seriously the best toy ever invented... For those of you structure & technical individuals, these will keep you entertained for hours. Each time I pick them up I make something new. I know, just a bunch of magnets... who doesn't love magnets? They come in several finishes.

My dad is a movie buff, he has the media room and more movies than Netflix. I am got him an original print Jurassic Park movie poster -kind of an odd idea, but I know he'll like it.

My sister is always borrowing my DSLR. If you have an artsy-fartsy typed relative consider getting them an entry level DSLR camera. Nikon or Canon, the two are pretty closely matched these days. I am actually having my parents get her an older model Canon T3 Rebel, they found a "kit" camera (which includes lens and everything needed to take pictures) for under $400. They are getting her Canon because that's what I have, and its nice to be able to share lenses. This is where the deal sweetens, everyone in the family can get her camera shit now! Her boyfriend is buying her a cheap 50mm fixed zoom lens, I am getting her a camera bag and some entry level DSLR books, one of her friends is getting her a tripod... a home run gift.

If you've got a gun lover, get them ammo. Seriously, it works great. Get a cool metal military ammo box for under ten bucks at an Army Navy store and load it up with rounds.

I really enjoy puzzles and board games. So I typically load up on gifts that make people think and use their brains. Thinkgeek.com has received quite a bit of business from me over the years...

I put a simple piece of jewelry in one of these last year, it took my mom a month to figure it out (I think she ended up googling it). We all still laugh about it...

More cheap stocking stuffer puzzles... really challenging, terribly fun.

Gaming systems are fun, but board games are what really get the family together. I hate American-styled board games where everything falls on luck and no skill... This game is great packaged as a family gift. "Settlers of Catan" is a game anyone can learn (anyone)... yet requires thought and half a brain. I swear by this game, read the reviews if you don't believe me.
    Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
    Baja-Bob.com

My wife's sister is a for lack of words, a nerd/geek that lives in Austin and fits in perfectly. With that being said, she's a hard one to shop for. I hit a home run last year when I got her these on etsy.com. Great site, basically an online version of a flea market, you never know what you'll find on there.

That site is also great for inside jokes and humor... my wife and I watched the series, "Arrested Development" together years back... we still use quotes from it today. "There is always money in the banana stand". Stupid fun stuff like that is on etsy.
    Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Who wouldn't want a flying monkey?

Comment

I use to give my buddies a bottle of either Crown or Jack D.

Comment

I just got to test out a Kindle Fire. Damn slick for $199. However it is wifi only.

Comment

where did they find the DSLR kit for less then 400? my wife has been wanting a camera
            Last edited by 2165 Turbo Rail; 11-22-2011, 12:10 PM.
            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
              where did they find the DSLR kit for less then 400? my wife has been wanting a camera
              Ill ask.
              Baja-Bob.com

Comment

thanks
                1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  I just got to test out a Kindle Fire. Damn slick for $199. However it is wifi only.
                  Nook Tablet FTW! If I were getting a tablet...it would be the Nook. My g/f has the nook color and it was the best gift I ever got her.

Comment

I don't know what the hell to get my dad. He doesn't watch sports or hunt. He loves AV stuff but either anything I could afford to get him would be scoffed at, surely, and he probably already has something better anyway. You can't go wrong with BlueRays and CDs, but I'd like to get him something a bit different this year. I'd like to get him a new phone, but $500 is a bit out of my budget.
                    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

That's exactly why I get people gift cards. Let them buy whatever they want. I don't like having to guess who wants what for each person on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        Nook Tablet FTW! If I were getting a tablet...it would be the Nook. My g/f has the nook color and it was the best gift I ever got her.
                        Is there anything she doesn't like about it? I was leaning toward getting the Kindle Fire as a gift. I just don't know a whole lot about tablets.

Comment

Are there more sites out there like think geek?

Anyone know where to get a mini firing cannon?
                          Last edited by zachary; 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Whipple superchargers are what I really like

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
                              Are there more sites out there like think geek?
                              I think Mike posted a link a couple months back which had geek stuff. It's called Why I'm broke or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X