no more occupy dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
    You guys are saying that if I want to go out and stand on a street corner with a sign and protest something I don't like, that I need a permit to do so?

Edit: The city of Dallas website lists protests as a "Special Event," and here is the definition of "Special Events":

Originally posted by Originally Posted by City of Dallas Website
    “Special Event” means a temporary event or gathering, using either private or public property, in which the estimated number of participants and spectators exceeds 75 during any day of the event and that involves one or more of the following activities: closing a public street; blocking or restriction of public property; sale of merchandise, food or beverages on public property or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance; erection of a tent; installation of a stage, band shell, trailer, van portable building, grandstand, or bleachers; placement of portable toilets (unless designated for construction purposes); or placement of temporary no-parking, directional, over-size, or identification signs or banners in or over a public right-of-way, or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance.

You don't need a permit if there are less than 75 people or if you are not erecting temporary structures or signs that block public right-of-way. They can arrest me if they want (which they should the asshats of this occupy movement), but it's not going to hold up in court if you are 1-74 people deep holding up a sign or two.
    I think Occupy Dallas qualified with the bolded...

Further, what's considered temporary? 1 hour? 1 day? 3 months....
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
      I think Occupy Dallas qualified with the bolded...

Further, what's considered temporary? 1 hour? 1 day? 3 months....
      Protests, demonstrations, and rallies do not require a permit, period, regardless of size. Not sure on the "temporary" consideration. I'm sure it's open to interpretation.

I'm not siding with the Occupy Movement. A few people were pissed, others joined in because it was trendy/ing, and there's not real goal in mind. They're just a bunch of overly amped kids who think they're going to make a difference.

Comment

Protests, demonstrations, and rallies do not require a permit, period, regardless of size. Not sure on the "temporary" consideration. I'm sure it's open to interpretation.

I'm not siding with the Occupy Movement. A few people were pissed, others joined in because it was trendy/ing, and there's not real goal in mind. They're just a bunch of overly amped kids who think they're going to make a difference.
        Oh yes, they most certainly do. You can argue all you want. Permits are required. You, yourself posted the criteria. Just like when LULAC was all up in arms protesting the City of Irving and Farmer's Branch for the crackdown on illegals, they had to get permits. And when that stupid fuck Raul Quintanilla went to file for his permit, they arrested his dumbass on outstanding warrants.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Oh yes, they most certainly do. You can argue all you want. Permits are required. You, yourself posted the criteria. Just like when LULAC was all up in arms protesting the City of Irving and Farmer's Branch for the crackdown on illegals, they had to get permits. And when that stupid fuck Raul Quintanilla went to file for his permit, they arrested his dumbass on outstanding warrants.
          Well, the website contradicts itself. I'm sure if the city saw no harm being done and the protest was in line with their thinking, then there wouldn't be a problem, but as soon as there's money to be made, or they can arrest people for protesting without a permit so they can generate revenue that way then all of the sudden, "Oh yeah, you need a permit."

Comment

Well, the website contradicts itself. I'm sure if the city saw no harm being done and the protest was in line with their thinking, then there wouldn't be a problem, but as soon as there's money to be made, or they can arrest people for protesting without a permit so they can generate revenue that way then all of the sudden, "Oh yeah, you need a permit."
            What are you talking about? What money is there to be made? I am willing to bet you the city has already shelled out hundreds of thousands of dollars because of these idiots. Are you really this stupid? Just wondering.

Comment

Like it or not, there are costs associated with stuff like this. Officers to keep the rally peaceful, trash disposal and clean up, etc. Special Event permits aren't ridiculous cost wise. In fact, I bet if an audit were done, the city loses money on it in most cases. They may break even on the smaller events. But to accuse ten of running it as a profit center is laughable.

Sure, cops are all too willing to write a ticket under normal circumstances. But I'd be willing to wager that most, if not all, would steer clear of that with groups this size due to the mob mentality, unless it was absolutely necessary to do so.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Let me emphasize what I am saying a little more. So you think the city would actually make money on a permit for these protests? Haha that is just funny. Think of all the officers needed to work it and keep it peaceful and the trash needed to be cleaned up after. Permits are a contract, so you abide by certain rules. These idiots were breaking the law anyways by camping where they cannot. That isn't protesting, nor does it have anything to do with the 1st amendment. Go home at night and come back in the morning to protest. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

They seem to me to be a nuisance. They have no real common goal or direction. Just a bunch of near-do-wells camping out and trashing up the city center. If they were more organized and had some reputable leaders, along with less criminal activity and littering, they might stand a chance. Otherwise, these people should be hauled off with the trash, and they know it.

Comment

Did these permit to protest laws happen post civil rights movement? If these OWS kids disperse then they have no heart.

Comment

As a constitutional conservative it saddens me that you need a permit to peaceably assemble in order to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Fuckin' liberal big brother bullshit. Even conservatives are liberals now. Won't be long until individual rights are a fond memory from the past.
                      US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
                        As a constitutional conservative it saddens me that you need a permit to peaceably assemble in order to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Fuckin' liberal big brother bullshit. Even conservatives are liberals now. Won't be long until individual rights are a fond memory from the past.
                        I recall Reagan speaking about this. And I agree with you. It is a fucking disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                          Maybe Freebirds will now have more people to make my goddamn burrito.
                          HaHa

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            Did these permit to protest laws happen post civil rights movement? If these OWS kids disperse then they have no heart.
                            Originally posted by Hobie View Post

A big X2 on these points.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              A big X2 on these points.
                              I'm trying to remember if the founding fathers pulled permits to revolt?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                                I'm trying to remember if the founding fathers pulled permits to revolt?
                                You know they did. They didn't have the right to protest, so they had to get an OK from the monarchy before the founding fathers told them to fuck off.

Comment

Working...
                                X