Infrared/indoor turkey fryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrared/indoor turkey fryer

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with an infrared turkey cooker or even an indoor turkey fryer. I've been looking at the butterball indoor turkey fryer online and that looks like a nice set up. The only time it will be used is at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Has anyone tasted a turkey that was cooked infrared? How does it compare to a fried turkey?

I was asking about this last year, I was told the infrared gives a "toasted" flavor. I stuck with my normal peanut oil, and it can't be beat IMO.

Comment

bcoop in 3...2...

Comment

Just a couple things to think about...

I don't care for anything using infrared technology. As 4DRSS mentioned, it gives off a "toasted" taste to me. Not everyone notice it, and some are ok with it. It's just not for me. Also, the infrared oil less fryers take a while to cook. As in, 3-4 hours or more.

On the indoor fryer, I have no experience. I will say, frying a turkey inside is a bad idea. Due to the things than can go wrong, I would advise against it. I'd have to think they are severely limited on size of turkey as well. It could boil over, turkey could pop due o being partially frozen, etc. not to mention, the smell. I also have concerns on the power output. I haven't read the specs, but I can see pulling enough power on a 110v residential circuit. This would translate to longer cook times, and more oil absorption.

I cook far more than the average joe every year, and even more than a lot of restaurants. Using commercial fryers and exhaust hoods. Our building smells like fried turkey for 2 weeks+. I don't fry ANYTHING indoors. My little counter fryer is used in the garage. The camping style fryer gets used outdoors, in open space away from the house. Too much can go wrong, and far too many houses burn down due to idiots doing things wrong.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I bought an indoor fryer, but I only use it outdoors or in the garge if the weather is bad. It seems to work OK, everyone the last two years loves it. I use the Emerils cajun injection recipe. It holds a 15 pound turkey, I also use a fresh turkey to cut down on any accidents. I follow the instructions and so should you, like Brent advised any type of accident inside will be very BAD. I've also have a few friends that I fry for, it takes about an hour per bird. Since the one I have only holdas about 3 gallons of oil, i only try and fry no more than a few birds or the oil gets to dirty...

Oh and too add, I let the oil boil for about an hour before and I let the bird come to room tempature before placing said bird in the peanut oil.
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

We fry our turkey indoors, usually in the living room so if the oil does spill, the carpet will absorb it and you don't slip and fall in it. Much safer that way. You can use those Glade Plugins to cover the smell too.

<--- Never fried a turkey, ever!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
              We fry our turkey indoors, usually in the living room so if the oil does spill, the carpet will absorb it and you don't slip and fall in it. Much safer that way. You can use those Glade Plugins to cover the smell too.

Best post in this thread!

Comment

LOL I plan on frying the turkeys in the garage. I was just looking at an indoor option to avoid having to deal with propane. If the weather is bad I don't want an open flame in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                  LOL I plan on frying the turkeys in the garage. I was just looking at an indoor option to avoid having to deal with propane. If the weather is bad I don't want an open flame in the garage.
                  I'd never recommend an open flame fryer in the garage. That's just begging for an insurance claim. That's why I said, outside, away from the house.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    I'd never recommend an open flame fryer in the garage. That's just begging for an insurance claim. That's why I said, outside, away from the house.
                    But if it's raining and the wind is blowing 30mph you're fucked. That's why I want one that doesn't have to use propane so if the weather is shit I can still use it in the garage without fear of burning down the house.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                      But if it's raining and the wind is blowing 30mph you're fucked. That's why I want one that doesn't have to use propane so if the weather is shit I can still use it in the garage without fear of burning down the house.
                      Thats what ive been doing the last two years, the first year I was outside next to my grill. The last two years Ive been in the garage because of the weather. I've had no problems, a little common sense goes a long way. A fully de-frosted bird or fresh bird and non-wated based injection eliminates most accidents. Again if you follow the instructions it can be fool proof. I have a back door in my garage that lets me have a crosswind and I pull my cars outside, just in case of an accident this motherfucker can burn to the ground and i have my cars outside and I have a little time to get everyone out, including my cat, guns and shit.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I have a electric fryer cooks up to a 14lb bird . It takes a little longer because when you put the bird in it takes the oil longer to recover up to temp(propane you just crank the flame). I like it because it's safer and you don't have to worry about running out of gas . My dad bought one of those oil less ones and the outside dried out by the time the internal temp was reached. I also recommend brineing them also ...

Comment

Working...
                        X