Buy vs Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy vs Lease

So break it down for me by pros vs cons.

I have ALWAYS been against leasing but over the past 3-4 years and 4 cars later I find myself barely breaking even or even losing money. Simply put, I do not like having the same car forever and like to change it up. I have been looking around a bit more and see that most places want a few grand up front and then a monthly payment. I am also aware that you are restricted to how many miles and all that other stuff with a lease too.

Does anyone lease currently, opinions, suggestions, etc?
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post

Is it better to lease a car or buy a car? The answer may be surprising. Read the full details here then decide whether leasing or buying is right for you.

Leasing a car and buying a car will both put you in the driver’s seat, but with different financial implications.

Consider resale value, monthly car payments, depreciation, sales tax, repair bills & more when deciding whether to buy or lease a vehicle.

Provides an in-depth look at the decision to buy or lease a car, including the pros and cons of each choice, and links to online car loan calculators.

Comment

It depends on how you are. Many people will continue to trade in and get new cars every other year thus will always have a car payment which is fine. If that's the case, lease and save some money. Others pay off their cars and drive them until they die. I have 4 cars registered to me and all are paid for. They both have their pros and cons as you mentioned.

Comment

I have always purchased in the past but my next vehicle im thinking about doing a 1 year lease and customize the mileage as I dont keep anything long at all.

Comment

I've been in the car business for my entire career and it's very rare that leasing is a better option. It sounds great, but as always, the devil is in the details. Do a little more research about resale next time you buy something. I'm at the point that I can buy whatever vehicle I want, but I always drive something that has a good residual value.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra86 View Post
            I've been in the car business for my entire career and it's very rare that leasing is a better option. It sounds great, but as always, the devil is in the details. Do a little more research about resale next time you buy something. I'm at the point that I can buy whatever vehicle I want, but I always drive something that has a good residual value.
            I had a 2008 Honda Civic with a very low interest rate and put 4-5k down and still didn't get what I wanted for it. Granted there were some stipulations to that and a few other critical factors but that was sort of the final straw. I bought the car because Honda has great resale, blah blah blah but come to find out it didn't...
            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Think of leasing as long term renting wih limitations.

I'll probably lease again, but the trick is going to be to only lease what i could afford to buy and stay within the mileage limits. I'm currently paying off my Edge and will prolly keep it for a few years afterwards. I always thought the feeling of no car payment was a great feeling.

Comment

I had a 2008 Honda Civic with a very low interest rate and put 4-5k down and still didn't get what I wanted for it. Granted there were some stipulations to that and a few other critical factors but that was sort of the final straw. I bought the car because Honda has great resale, blah blah blah but come to find out it didn't...
                Interesting that a lot of folks go for the gas mileage, looks, etc. Could have bought an '08 gas guzzling Silverado, F150 or Ram for a lower net holding cost. Also an Accord or Camry traditionally holds a higher cost/resale factor.

There is a reason that Dave Ramsey refers to leasing as "fleecing" LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra86 View Post
                  what vehicles are holding the residual best currently?

Comment

I thought you had an absurd interest rate on that Civic (lack of credit, not bad credit), put a lot of miles on it, and wrecked it a couple times? All of which affect resale.

Fuck leasing, and fuck buying new. If things go according to plan, I'll never have another car payment in my life. Cash is king. It helps in negotiations (because I'll always buy used), and fuck having a payment. It's nice not having to shell out $350+ every month for a vehicle. Sure, it's not the newest (03), and is about to roll 200,000 miles. But everything still works, has only required minor maintenance, and has never left me stranded anywhere. And I drive this fucker all over the place for work. I recently bought a 93 Concorde that was pristine prior to the hail storm, and only has 43,000 miles on it for a mere $200. It's not optimal, and it's by no means baller. But it will give me a chance to take some time on getting some preventative maintenance done on the Expedition, and quite frankly, mileage just flat out doesn't come as cheap as what I got that car for. I don't need to impress anyone, and I'm not the "get bored, forever unsatisfied" type. I'll still have the Expy for dates, taking clients out, etc. But the large majority of the miles I put on my vehicles, I'm burning up the highways in North and East TX by myself.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

New cars are for suckers. These things depreciate astronomically until they are about five years old then they start to level out.

Comment

I have ALWAYS been against leasing but over the past 3-4 years and 4 cars later I find myself barely breaking even or even losing money. Simply put, I do not like having the same car forever and like to change it up. I have been looking around a bit more and see that most places want a few grand up front and then a monthly payment. I am also aware that you are restricted to how many miles and all that other stuff with a lease too.

Does anyone lease currently, opinions, suggestions, etc?
                        Gotta buy em right, i've had prob 20-25 cars in the last 5 years and I've never lost a dime.

Comment

Ideally, you'd just compute the 2 projects' cost of financing to get NPV/IRR and compare the two. Project 1 = buying, project 2 = leasing. I'd wager that >99% of people don't know how to do that.
                          Originally posted by davbrucas
                          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                            Ideally, you'd just compute the 2 projects' cost of financing to get NPV/IRR and compare the two. Project 1 = buying, project 2 = leasing. I'd wager that >99% of people don't know how to do that.
                            We can't all be CPAs....
                            - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                            1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                              what vehicles are holding the residual best currently?
                              Almost any 1/2 ton crew cab gas V8 short box pickup holds the best residual.

Comment

Working...
                              X