family things to do in austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family things to do in austin

coincidentally, i'm heading to austin this weekend to deliver a car. i will be going with my family and i have no interest in driving straight there and straight back so we are going to stay at least sat to sun and potentially monday. can austin be worthwhile and stay pg 13?

5th street I think great atmosphere.
    First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Family hipster kicking, teach the kids how to roll a drunk, ask the panhandler at each intersection for their "word of the day", etc. Actually, there are several museums that are pretty good, Inner Space caverns is just north of town in Georgetown, take a tour of the Capitol, lots to do. Google is your friend.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Take a tour like mentioned. There are tons of stores downtown during the day. Good restaurants. I don't know if UT does any kind of campus touring for tourists or anything like that.
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

i have a few things lined out but its coming down to the week end and i dont know where to stay, i'd rather not stay at a generic ramada inn or anything but i also dont want to shell out for a place either. things to remember is it will be me my girl and almost 1 year old. also free wifi would be a plus. thanks

Comment

Go to Balcones Point around sunset and eat at Moonshine for dinner. See the bats under the bridge, visit the state capitol and eat at County Line for lunch during the day. There's a pretty full day that'll be fun!

Comment

And as for a room....get on priceline.com and bid for a hotel. Check www.biddingfortravel.com and you'll see what the going bids are and what you're likely to end up with

Comment

I always love to take the family to a fun evening of pointing a laser pointer at the bums on 5th/6th/7th street and watching them flop around. Good laughs all around (unless you are the bum).

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                  I always love to take the family to a fun evening of pointing a laser pointer at the bums on 5th/6th/7th street and watching them flop around. Good laughs all around (unless you are the bum).

Stevo
                  second only to waiving my ar at the hoodlums in the east side

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
                    second only to waiving my ar at the hoodlums in the east side
                    I've never been to the hood in Austin, are there hoodrats there?

Stevo
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Stevo
                      i meant the hood here in fort worth. so close and conveiniant

Comment

Stevo
                        Oh hell yes Austin has its ghetto and plenty of hoodrats. Go about 1 mile east of I-35 anywhere from about 18th street south all the way to the airport. Don't do it at night.

Comment

And lots of guy-guy and girl-girl couples all over the city. That should be good for family entertainment. Going to Austin is like leaving Texas.
                          Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Girl girl couples you say? Hmmmmm

Comment

Dude, with a sub-1 year old, I don't think you need to concern yourself with "family" entertainment. You just can't get hammered on 6th street. An infant isn't going to know or care what's going on as long as it's not too loud, too cold, etc. Your concerns should be more along the lines of finding a comfortable place to stay.

It's not like a baby would get anything out of a cool children's museum http://www.austinkids.org/ or a tour of the capital building.

This could just be me, but with a kid that age in tow, I'd rather leave the girl/kid at home and get it over with. Stuck in a car with a baby for hours is a world class beating.

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                              And lots of guy-guy and girl-girl couples all over the city. That should be good for family entertainment. Going to Austin is like leaving Texas.
                              It's also the coolest city in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X