What would you do...(work problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
    Constantly. He knows what my ambitions are, he knows I will work for less than a regular engineer just for the opportunity to learn. I was constantly asking him what kind of certifications I should be looking at and if he had any company materials I could be reviewing.

We have worked together before and he always treated me with respect and courtesy, so I took the chance. Apparently someone's word doesn't mean shit anymore.
    Ouch. Very ouch. Have you asked him..."WTF happened?!?! Why didn't you offer me this job????"
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

You know, it is possible he knows the job opening is a shit job, and didn't want to give it to his friend.

Comment

Ask him matter-of-factly why you weren't told about the position being open when he knew that's why you're there in the frist place. Don't make any threats or accusations... just ask that question and hear his answer.

Ne need motivating him to fire you while you're looking for another job
        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
        dont downshift!!
        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          I would find another job, and evaluate the friendship afterwards. This is another reason I wouldn't hire any friends to work for me.
          Don't lie...

...we all know you don't have any friends.
          G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
            Or you could just keep your word?
            Or I could just continue not hiring friends.

Don't offer a guy a job then turn your back on him, friend or not
            That's business.

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
            Don't lie...

...we all know you don't have any friends.
            I'm telling this story, asshole.

Comment

^^^ What Don said.

Diplomatically ask about the circumstances of the job that this guy was hired in to. Also, as forcefully as you feel prudent, ask what it is going to take for you to get what you were promised. What specific training/certs (A+, Network+, Server+, etc.) do you need?
              Also, what is more important? Maintaining a friendship or moving ahead career-wise?
              Do what's ultimately best for you. Like Benny Hill once said, "If you don't look out for number one, you might step in number two."
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                You know, it is possible he knows the job opening is a shit job, and didn't want to give it to his friend.
                This is one of the reasons I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, he may have been in a pinch and needed someone with directly applicable experience.
                Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                Ask him matter-of-factly why you weren't told about the position being open when he knew that's why you're there in the frist place. Don't make any threats or accusations... just ask that question and hear his answer.

Ne need motivating him to fire you while you're looking for another job
                Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                ^^^ What Don said.

Diplomatically ask about the circumstances of the job that this guy was hired in to. Also, as forcefully as you feel prudent, ask what it is going to take for you to get what you were promised. What specific training/certs (A+, Network+, Server+, etc.) do you need?
                Also, what is more important? Maintaining a friendship or moving ahead career-wise?
                Do what's ultimately best for you. Like Benny Hill once said, "If you don't look out for number one, you might step in number two."
                This is what I plan on doing. I'm going to give him a day or so to approach me, and if he doesn't I will approach him.

The whole friends-hiring-friends thing is common in this company. All of my high school friends work here, and said best friend hired them all.

Also, he has no pull over getting me fired, as he is over a different division of the company. My manager likes me and is trying to get me a raise/promotion, but there's nothing open within the immediately foreseeable future.

Comment

Never hurts to look and see what's out there all the while still being employed and having money come in the door.

I would start looking and getting your resume' out there and keep collecting the shitty pay until you get what you feel you deserve.
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Wait... So you're pissed off about being passed over for a position that you aren't qualified for? Take the friend out of it. Am I the only one that sees it this way?
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      Wait... So you're pissed off about being passed over for a position that you aren't qualified for? Take the friend out of it. Am I the only one that sees it this way?
                      I get the impression said friend was going to give him OTJ training as part of the deal.
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                        I get the impression said friend was going to give him OTJ training as part of the deal.
                        OTJ training, when he has duties and responsibilities within another division of the company? I mean, after hours or whatever I could see. But they hired you to do a specific job, not learn on their time while getting paid. It would be different if said friend was his direct supervisor. But that's not the case.

Comment

OTJ training, when he has duties and responsibilities within another division of the company? I mean, after hours or whatever I could see. But they hired you to do a specific job, not learn on their time while getting paid. It would be different if said friend was his direct supervisor. But that's not the case.
                          Don't you learn how to do some cooking, and other restaurant type stuff while you doing your sales job?

Comment

It was never supposed to be this way. It was supposed to be set up so I could learn after all my responsibilities were taken care of for the day, be that in the middle of my shift, after my shift, or during the weekend when larger projects were going on that I could observe. There have been several instances where I could do this, and have asked several times, but it's always one thing or another on his end or some stupid reason I can't. If its remote, I can't watch. Ecause confidential client information might be shared, if it's on-site they say it's a liability for me to be driving out there, even on my own dime. I understand where he's coming from on these issues, but I'm just wondering what he meant by cross-training if I never get to help or observe anything, and he won't tell me what I should be studying in order to even start to help them.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              Don't you learn how to do some cooking, and other restaurant type stuff while you doing your sales job?

Apples and oranges. He was hired to do a warehouse job. I was hired to do a job in the restaurant industry. It's my job to know as much as humanly possible about this industry, even the parts that don't affect me. I'm not a pitch guy. I don't sell people shit they don't need. I've found myself a niche, and become very successful by nothing more than knowledge. People tend to trust you when you give them honest advice (even when it doesn't involve you selling something), and when they can call you any time to get an answer about some obscure crap that they can't figure out. Yes, I'm a salesman, but I deal directly with operators, culinary teams, investors, architects, GC's, consultants, engineers, etc. My entire job revolves around cooking. Sure, I could be clueless about this stuff, but I wouldn't get very far. When my employer hired me, I was hired for a job I was overqualified for (project manager/inside sales), with the intention to transition in to a territory manager. Which is exactly what happened. Had it not happened, I would have left and gone to a competitor, which is exactly what they didn't want to happen, so they held true to what our agreement was. Things would have been different if the intention was to transition in to a position that I wasn't qualified for.

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              It was never supposed to be this way. It was supposed to be set up so I could learn after all my responsibilities were taken care of for the day, be that in the middle of my shift, after my shift, or during the weekend when larger projects were going on that I could observe. There have been several instances where I could do this, and have asked several times, but it's always one thing or another on his end or some stupid reason I can't. If its remote, I can't watch. Ecause confidential client information might be shared, if it's on-site they say it's a liability for me to be driving out there, even on my own dime. I understand where he's coming from on these issues, but I'm just wondering what he meant by cross-training if I never get to help or observe anything, and he won't tell me what I should be studying in order to even start to help them.
                              I get that, but perhaps a difference in our personalities is where I see things differently. For starters, I never would have moved with the "promise of a job from a friend." If I'm moving so much as 2 miles, it's because I have a firm written offer from a company (not from said friend). It sounds like you should have firmed things up before making a move. Secondly, friends and business never mix. I refuse to give recommendations for this very reason. You may be a great friend, but a shitty employee (not you specifically, only speaking as a generality). I leave my name out of things, as to not give the wrong impression. And maybe that makes me a shitty friend, but I can handle that.

I'm not trying to place the blame on you. Only stating this is not how I do things, to offer a different perspective for the future and maybe point out how to learn from this. I think you need to sit down with your friend, outside of work, and explain all this. Don't come across as whiney. Don't come across as jilted or bitter. Just tell him that he said he'd give you a chance to learn and break in to IT, and it hasn't happened. You realize he's busy, and work comes first, but that you're disappointed that he hasn't been able to work you in. Don't give him an ultimatum in any way, and don't tell him you're looking for a job. But in the mean time, update your resume, and put your feelers out to see what's out there.

Comment

Apples and oranges. He was hired to do a warehouse job. I was hired to do a job in the restaurant industry. It's my job to know as much as humanly possible about this industry, even the parts that don't affect me. I'm not a pitch guy. I don't sell people shit they don't need. I've found myself a niche, and become very successful by nothing more than knowledge. People tend to trust you when you give them honest advice (even when it doesn't involve you selling something), and when they can call you any time to get an answer about some obscure crap that they can't figure out. Yes, I'm a salesman, but I deal directly with operators, culinary teams, investors, architects, GC's, consultants, engineers, etc. My entire job revolves around cooking. Sure, I could be clueless about this stuff, but I wouldn't get very far. When my employer hired me, I was hired for a job I was overqualified for (project manager/inside sales), with the intention to transition in to a territory manager. Which is exactly what happened. Had it not happened, I would have left and gone to a competitor, which is exactly what they didn't want to happen, so they held true to what our agreement was. Things would have been different if the intention was to transition in to a position that I wasn't qualified for.

I get that, but perhaps a difference in our personalities is where I see things differently. For starters, I never would have moved with the "promise of a job from a friend." If I'm moving so much as 2 miles, it's because I have a firm written offer from a company (not from said friend). It sounds like you should have firmed things up before making a move. Secondly, friends and business never mix. I refuse to give recommendations for this very reason. You may be a great friend, but a shitty employee (not you specifically, only speaking as a generality). I leave my name out of things, as to not give the wrong impression. And maybe that makes me a shitty friend, but I can handle that.

I'm not trying to place the blame on you. Only stating this is not how I do things, to offer a different perspective for the future and maybe point out how to learn from this. I think you need to sit down with your friend, outside of work, and explain all this. Don't come across as whiney. Don't come across as jilted or bitter. Just tell him that he said he'd give you a chance to learn and break in to IT, and it hasn't happened. You realize he's busy, and work comes first, but that you're disappointed that he hasn't been able to work you in. Don't give him an ultimatum in any way, and don't tell him you're looking for a job. But in the mean time, update your resume, and put your feelers out to see what's out there.
                                I see where you're coming from, and I understand your point of view. I actually didn't move here because he said he could get me job, that was just going to be a bonus. I've realized that this company isn't all happy-time-fun-job like it was portrayed and that people have a job to do. I am brushing up my resume as we speak to apply to some positions I've found. I think I'll officially hold off on the job hunt until I get back from my two-week trip to China in early December.

Comment

Working...
                                X