What would you do...(work problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do...(work problems)

Long story, some unimportant details are left out, cliffnotes at bottom.

As I've moved around the states, a friend (who I thought was my best friend) has always told me that if I moved back to Dallas he could offer me a job in IT, as I love computers and networking and mess with these things in my spare time. For the last four or five years I've always been tempted, but one thing or another kept me away from the DFW area. He has always known I would need some sort of training, or at least a short period of shadowing to learn some of the more intricate workings of what they do.

So, finally I get a chance to move back to Dallas (January of this year), and I start asking him if the offer was still valid and he says he doesn't have any positions available, but he probably would soon, and just to sit tight. So two months or so go by, and still nothing. My savings is dwindling, and I have to get a job doing anything, so I start looking for a job.

He calls me a few days after I start looking again and he says he has a position open at the company that he works for, but there's a catch. It's not in IT, it's in the other division of the company he works for. Basically, I would be the warehouse bitch and also would be a sort of office-monkey, completing random tasks here and there, but he said that he would train me up while I was doing this and move me over into an IT position in a year or less. I figured it would be a good foot in the door, so I take it as it is okay pay for what I would be doing (but still what I feel is shitty pay for my qualifications), and I needed a job fairly quick.

Fast forward to today. I have worked here for six months, I have received zero training, and zero opportunities to train. I am getting stuck in this position as I learn more and more about the side of the company that I don't want to work for, and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting dimmer by the day.

Fast forward to ten minutes ago. I just met the new IT engineer he hired last week, that nobody knew about until today. I'm fucking pissed off and am really calling in to question the friendship I've had with this person for eleven years.

Now I feel I really only have two choices, because obviously I can't trust him to make good on his word at this point. I can sit here and hope upward movement opportunities arise in this job and take the shitty pay until then, or I can look for something else computer/IT related and try to get my foot in the door elsewhere.

What would DFWM do? (I have a feeling I already know the answer, but TIA for any input)

CLIFFNOTES: Friend opens standing invitation for a job in DFW, I finally decide to take it. He doesn't have job available when I get here, so I take shit job with same company with expectations of training and moving over. Friend hires someone else after promising me position. Stay here and hope or find something else?

wait for friend in the parking lot with a baseball bat.

Comment

I would find another job, and evaluate the friendship afterwards. This is another reason I wouldn't hire any friends to work for me.

Comment

You already know what to do, man.

Comment

Your "friend" has already shit on you twice. Don't give him the opportunity to do it again. Never do business with friends or family?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            I would find another job, and evaluate the friendship afterwards. This is another reason I wouldn't hire any friends to work for me.
            Or you could just keep your word? Don't offer a guy a job then turn your back on him, friend or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              X2 on the job hunt.

And you didn't get anything on paper, so all you had was his word. My question to you is, how often did you two keep in contact with each other about you wanting to move "up"?
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Round and round, what comes around goes around.
                Slow moving projects
                1964 C10 350/700r4
                1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  You already know what to do, man.
                  Yeah
                  Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                  X2 on the job hunt.

And you didn't get anything on paper, so all you had was his word. My question to you is, how often did you two keep in contact with each other about you wanting to move "up"?
                  Constantly. He knows what my ambitions are, he knows I will work for less than a regular engineer just for the opportunity to learn. I was constantly asking him what kind of certifications I should be looking at and if he had any company materials I could be reviewing.

We have worked together before and he always treated me with respect and courtesy, so I took the chance. Apparently someone's word doesn't mean shit anymore.

Anyone know where I can find an entry level desktop position/IT position? This sucks. I'm more upset by the back-stabbing than the job.

Comment

Could be your friend just thinks or makes it sound like he has more influence over hiring than he actually does. As far as being a guy with very little experience and you think you are going to be hired on as some "IT engineer" whatever that means, I think you have unrealistic expectations. Besides that, your friend might not have had anything to do with it, or else a much more qualified applicant came along. I wouldn't necessarily hold anything against your friend on it. Besides, he helped you get your foot in the door. What are you doing on your own to increase your knowledge outside of expecting the employer to teach you IT? Taking any classes? Reading any books?

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                      Yeah
                      Anyone know where I can find an entry level desktop position/IT position?
                      Yes. Move to India

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                        Or you could just keep your word? Don't offer a guy a job then turn your back on him, friend or not.
                        Would like to know the other side of the story before making that kind of call.

Comment

that is no friend.

Comment

Sorry to hear that was done to you

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                              Could be your friend just thinks or makes it sound like he has more influence over hiring than he actually does. As far as being a guy with very little experience and you think you are going to be hired on as some "IT engineer" whatever that means, I think you have unrealistic expectations. Besides that, your friend might not have had anything to do with it, or else a much more qualified applicant came along. I wouldn't necessarily hold anything against your friend on it. Besides, he helped you get your foot in the door. What are you doing on your own to increase your knowledge outside of expecting the employer to teach you IT? Taking any classes? Reading any books?
                              I understand your point of view here, and I agree with some of it to a certain extent. I am learning. I asked what kind of certifications he would like to see in a candidate, but have received no feedback. Regardless, I have started working toward some certs. I have very little professional experience, but have been building and maintaining computers and home networks for well over a decade. Those skills translate somewhat. People with less experience than me have been hired with a conditional job agreement to get certs within a given amount of time.

As far as my friend's pull in the company, it's complicated. He is the director of the division he works, so he definitely has say in who he hires, he only answers to the president/owner of the company (same person).
                              Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                              Would like to know the other side of the story before making that kind of call.
                              I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, and to wait and see if he comes to talk to me about it, although he has had several opportunities already.

Comment

Working...
                              X