neck surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck surgery

So I went to the neurosurgeon this week. Looks like I have herniated disc at c2-3, c5-6, c6-7 and l5-s1. Been going to a chiropractor since March and still having arm pain/numbness, neck pain some weakness in my left arm, and pain in my shoulder blade area. Turns out I have a 9mm bulge at c5-6 that is pushing on the spinal cord. So the doctor wants to do surgery but I am just not too sure if I should. I know it will not get better and probably will have continued muscle loss if I don’t do something. Anyone else had c5 fusion? If so how did you do after? How long did it take you to recover? Would you do it again?

You should check into spinal decompression to see if its a viable option for your particular case. Pm me if you would like more information.
    2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
    Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
    Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
    Speedlogix Catch Can
    Resonator Delete

Comment

have been doing that also just forgot to mention it. It did lesson my pain alot but it is still there. Anytime I walk very far my arm starts to tingle and it goes all the way to my thumb and first finger.

Comment

A good chiropractor would have done you better. A 9mm bulge isn't a joke. There are several therapies that he should had recommended before it got this far.

I would certainly try all other options before surgery. Add magnesium to your supplements and get a better chiropractor.

My chiropractor has me taking magnesium before bed as it can cause mild diarrhea if taken more often and during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
          A good chiropractor would have done you better. A 9mm bulge isn't a joke. There are several therapies that he should had recommended before it got this far.

I would certainly try all other options before surgery. Add magnesium to your supplements and get a better chiropractor.

My chiropractor has me taking magnesium before bed as it can cause mild diarrhea if taken more often and during the day.
          Very true, 9mm is no joke, but in the cervical spine especially. Good luck to the OP
          2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
          Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
          Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
          Speedlogix Catch Can
          Resonator Delete

Comment

I had a 9mm herniated disc in my L5. killer pain in back and right leg. i had surgery 8 weeks ago, and now feel great. I went straight for surgery. Was down for three weeks. Have been back to work for five, have 2 more weeks till full recovery. Surgery gets my vote.
            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
              I had a 9mm herniated disc in my L5. killer pain in back and right leg. i had surgery 8 weeks ago, and now feel great. I went straight for surgery. Was down for three weeks. Have been back to work for five, have 2 more weeks till full recovery. Surgery gets my vote.
              that is good to hear. They are just going to fix c5 right now and then see how I do. Been living with neck and back pain for over 15yrs.

Anyone heard or Dr. Thomas Ellis?

Comment

Originally posted by STRONGNUFF View Post
                Very true, 9mm is no joke, but in the cervical spine especially. Good luck to the OP
                thanks. Just a little freaked out. Guess that is to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post

What else should be tried? Did decompression, he is the one that suggested I see a surgeon since he is the one who ordered my first mri.

Comment

Originally posted by txstangnut View Post
                    thanks. Just a little freaked out. Guess that is to be expected.
                    Another vote to get cut on.. I was super nervous about my disc surgery, but I'm here to tell you it was the best thing I ever did. I was in discomfort for way to long.

Comment

My neck is fused at c5-c6 and I still have arm pain and numbness every night. I had an electromyography done in 08 (6 years after my neck surgery) and it showed I still had a herniated disc in the same spot (which is impossible because there isnt a disc there) so they determined it was permanant nerve damage. My lower back is also fused from l3-l6 with two rods and 6 screws. It's definitely not any fun having back pain or problems and my doctor told me just to realize I was always going to have back problems no matter how many surgeries I have to have (which so far is four major surgeries) I wish you the best, and I know they have a pill called neurotin that helps with nerve damage but you are definitely going to need to do something to get it fixed

Comment

6&7 fused here about 8 years ago. GREAT after surgery.. A chiropractor can cause you major issues if you have a bad herniation.
                        Last edited by dcs13; 10-28-2011, 04:42 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Originally posted by txstangnut View Post
                          What else should be tried? Did decompression, he is the one that suggested I see a surgeon since he is the one who ordered my first mri.
                          At this point you don't really have anymore options, but I'm no neurosurgeon.

I have three bulges in my lower back, but the biggest is only 3.5mm. I thought I knew pain, but you take the fucking cake. I can't imagine what that has to be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell-Bent SS View Post
                            Another vote to get cut on.. I was super nervous about my disc surgery, but I'm here to tell you it was the best thing I ever did. I was in discomfort for way to long.
                            Good to hear. Who was your doctor?

Comment

Originally posted by TXFordChic View Post
                              My neck is fused at c5-c6 and I still have arm pain and numbness every night. I had an electromyography done in 08 (6 years after my neck surgery) and it showed I still had a herniated disc in the same spot (which is impossible because there isnt a disc there) so they determined it was permanant nerve damage. My lower back is also fused from l3-l6 with two rods and 6 screws. It's definitely not any fun having back pain or problems and my doctor told me just to realize I was always going to have back problems no matter how many surgeries I have to have (which so far is four major surgeries) I wish you the best, and I know they have a pill called neurotin that helps with nerve damage but you are definitely going to need to do something to get it fixed

Sorry to hear about your problems. I am just trying to decide if I should do surgery or not. Kinda leaning that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X