No announcement yet.

Organ donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I became a donor after my Father received a heart transplant. I figure if someone can save my Father's life, I can return the favor.

Comment

Until you've had a friend or family member saved by a donation you might not understand. I'm a donor, once I'm dead my body is useless to me, but it can save other peoples lives.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Strange, interesting phobia, yet it is valid.

On a side note, why can't organs be sold?

So retarded.
        Full time ninja editor.

Comment

no but i really should be

Comment

Always have been. Why be selfish after death?

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
              Strange, interesting phobia, yet it is valid.

On a side note, why can't organs be sold?

So retarded.
              Strangely enough, the cautionary note came from my grandmother. When she took me to get my license, I was going to check the box, but she told me not to. She was a nurse, house supervisor for the ICU, at the time.

I'm in no way opposed to donation, and I don't really care what happens to my corpse, I just don't want it listed on my license.

Comment

I offer to donate my organ to a few women for a couple of hours, providing the pass a few requirements.

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                  I've got news for you. If you drink to the point of liver failure you won't be getting a transplant. You have to be sober for years before even being considered. A friend of mine died from liver failure. He suffered in the hospital for weeks before he finally let go of life.

Yes I'm a donor
                  Larry Hagman begs to differ.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
                    Strangely enough, the cautionary note came from my grandmother. When she took me to get my license, I was going to check the box, but she told me not to. She was a nurse, house supervisor for the ICU, at the time.

I'm in no way opposed to donation, and I don't really care what happens to my corpse, I just don't want it listed on my license.
                    I work as an ICU nurse and I will tell you being a donor is an amazing thing. When you have patients that die but can help 3-7 people...why would you not? Most hospitals dont do their own harvesting...In the DFW area Southwest Transplant is in charge of a lot of hospitals and they are completely independent of our hospital. They come in AFTER the patient is deemed deceased, brain dead or will not survive.

We do everything we can to save a life but many people just cannot survive. These are the ones that the families are asked if they want to donate or not. There shouldnt be a fear of people pulling the plug on a person just to take their organs.

The key to having it on your license is to be able to get the organs as soon as possible before they go bad.

Couple other notes about organ donation. People wait years on multiple lists hoping to keep living. People that are alcoholics and need liver transplants are not usually candidates for surgery. The lists are ranked based on how good/bad the patient is doing, their lifestyle changes and if they have proved they will try to keep an organ viable, and on their matches. My fiance's little sister had kidney failure at 19. Her doctors and the transplant board had to approve the procedure. If she did not follow the diet, gained excess fluid amounts between dialysis, etc...she wouldnt have received a kidney. While some people will not change their ways after the transplant, they usually have to prove change before they can receive. There are way to many people out there that NEED an organ more than someone who isnt willing.

Comment

Yup, I'm signed up to be a donor. I'm going to be cremated anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                        I work as an ICU nurse and I will tell you being a donor is an amazing thing. When you have patients that die but can help 3-7 people...why would you not? Most hospitals dont do their own harvesting...In the DFW area Southwest Transplant is in charge of a lot of hospitals and they are completely independent of our hospital. They come in AFTER the patient is deemed deceased, brain dead or will not survive.

We do everything we can to save a life but many people just cannot survive. These are the ones that the families are asked if they want to donate or not. There shouldnt be a fear of people pulling the plug on a person just to take their organs.

The key to having it on your license is to be able to get the organs as soon as possible before they go bad.
                        See, you work in the industry, but I still don't trust it. Kinda like when you go to a mechanic shop and they tell you that you need a bunch of shit, you really don't trust their word for it.

On a different note, I have Crohn's disease and it's generally not recommended for a person to take an organ from a Crohn's patient.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

I do have an advance directive that has a portion that stipulates my wishes for donation and for keeping me alive artificially until they can be harvested, I just don't have it on my license.

Comment

yep, registered.

Comment

Had my donor card from the day I could legally make the choice, hell if I'm done with them. It will make me happy to know some one gets a better chance in life..

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                                Larry Hagman begs to differ.

Stevo
                                LOL Money changes everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X