Great truck buying experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great truck buying experience

I'll be the first to admit that I have a disdain for car dealerships and my BS meter is pegged the second I step foot on the lot. I've been truck shopping for about 2 months looking for a steal. I've mostly been dealing with the same dealership I've bought all my vehicles from and have refered 8 people in the last year. The dealership and salesman who I thought was a buddy would not budge off of the X-Plan price I get from my job.

I found a truck online today that was 90 miles away from my house. It was listed as a hot internet special with a price that was way to good to be true. I called my regular salesman up and he got me a price on the truck if they did a dealer trade on it. They wanted to tack on an extra $200 to the X-Plan price to do the dealer trade. I talked to my wife who told me to just call the dealership that had the truck and see what they had to say about the price. I got a hold of the internet sales guy and he quoted the same price I had seen listed online. At this point my BS meter was pegged and half way back to zero. I start firing all kinds of questions at him. Whats the trap? Dealer installed tint for $400, paint coating for $399, plastic bed liner for $600, and nitrogen in the tires for $99. He just laughed and said if you want us to rip you off I can put all that crap on the truck.

I then bring up the dreaded fact that I have a trade in also and know this is where they will probably screw me over. My trade was just a 7 year old daily driver with 125k miles. He said sight unseen they would offer me 3k. Still not falling for a word out of his mouth I demanded a manager email me with all the numbers we discussed which they did right away. I called the salesman back and said I planned on leaving at 5:30 when my wife got home from work and it was at least a 2hr drive. I assured him that now was the time for them to back out if they planned on changing any numbers once I got there, because if they pull any shit after driving 2hrs through Austin traffic it wouldn't make for a pretty scene in the showroom floor. He laughed and said I'll have your new truck fueled and cleaned up by the time you get here.

He was waiting at the front door when we pulled up at 7:30. Right away he took my keys to my trade and took me for a test drive in the new truck. When we got back they had a number on my trade. They quickly found out that both rear windows were broken and pointed out the fact that it would cost about $500 to fix. Granted I didn't mention this over the phone and was hoping they wouldn't see it lol. He than said I'll give you $3,100 for it. I couldn't beleive it because the other dealership had offered $3,300 and they didn't know about the windows lol. The price of the new truck was still the same so I said lets do the deal still figuring they would pull some shit once we got back to financing. Boy was I suprised. The finance manger sat us down and said, you're young, healthy and not upside down so you don't need credit life insurance or even gap, but if your interested in a warranty I'll sell it to you for cost. I said no thanks and he gave me the contract to sign which still had the internet price they orginally quoted me so I signed on the dotted line.

Total time at dealership was 1hr 30min and the final price was $1,360 below X-plan with all rebates. Not a shit load of money but when you are as cheap as me every penny counts. Sales price was 10k less than sticker counting rebates. It's a 2011 King Ranch 4x4 with ecoboost. I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them up.

To all the Dfwmustang ballers. Credit score was 818
    Last edited by FreightTrain; 10-26-2011, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Todd the baller...........

Comment

I hate to ask the obvious, but who is the dealer?

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
          I'll be the first to admit that I have a disdain for car dealerships and my BS meter is pegged the second I step foot on the lot. I've been truck shopping for about 2 months looking for a steal. I've mostly been dealing with the same dealership I've bought all my vehicles from and have refered 8 people in the last year. The dealership and salesman who I thought was a buddy would not budge off of the X-Plan price I get from my job.

I found a truck online today that was 90 miles away from my house. It was listed as a hot internet special with a price that was way to good to be true. I called my regular salesman up and he got me a price on the truck if they did a dealer trade on it. They wanted to tack on an extra $200 to the X-Plan price to do the dealer trade. I talked to my wife who told me to just call the dealership that had the truck and see what they had to say about the price. I got a hold of the internet sales guy and he quoted the same price I had seen listed online. At this point my BS meter was pegged and half way back to zero. I start firing all kinds of questions at him. Whats the trap? Dealer installed tint for $400, paint coating for $399, plastic bed liner for $600, and nitrogen in the tires for $99. He just laughed and said if you want us to rip you off I can put all that crap on the truck.

I then bring up the dreaded fact that I have a trade in also and know this is where they will probably screw me over. My trade was just a 7 year old daily driver with 125k miles. He said sight unseen they would offer me 3k. Still not falling for a word out of his mouth I demanded a manager email me with all the numbers we discussed which they did right away. I called the salesman back and said I planned on leaving at 5:30 when my wife got home from work and it was at least a 2hr drive. I assured him that now was the time for them to back out if they planned on changing any numbers once I got there, because if they pull any shit after driving 2hrs through Austin traffic it wouldn't make for a pretty scene in the showroom floor. He laughed and said I'll have your new truck fueled and cleaned up by the time you get here.

He was waiting at the front door when we pulled up at 7:30. Right away he took my keys to my trade and took me for a test drive in the new truck. When we got back they had a number on my trade. They quickly found out that both rear windows were broken and pointed out the fact that it would cost about $500 to fix. Granted I didn't mention this over the phone and was hoping they wouldn't see it lol. He than said I'll give you $3,100 for it. I couldn't beleive it because the other dealership had offered $3,300 and they didn't know about the windows lol. The price of the new truck was still the same so I said lets do the deal still figuring they would pull some shit once we got back to financing. Boy was I suprised. The finance manger sat us down and said, you're young, healthy and not upside down so you don't need credit life insurance or even gap, but if your interested in a warranty I'll sell it to you for cost. I said no thanks and he gave me the contract to sign which still had the internet price they orginally quoted me so I signed on the dotted line.

Total time at dealership was 1hr 30min and the final price was $1,360 below X-plan with all rebates. Not a shit load of money but when you are as cheap as me every penny counts. Sales price was 10k less than sticker counting rebates. It's a 2011 King Ranch 4x4 with ecoboost. I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them up.

what i got from this is....

you want to make sure you dont get screwed or lied to from the dealership, all the while trying to screw and lie to a dealership. then want to brag about being a piece of shit on the internet. amiclose?

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I would have still got gap though once a total a new car with a note it's worth it...

Comment

It doesn't help to talk about a great buying experience without mentioning the name of the actual dealer... (or is that against DFWM policy?)

Pathetic. You're doing a turrible job of managing your credit. Just turrible...

Originally posted by grabberblue_11 View Post
              I would have still got gap though once a total a new car with a note it's worth it...
              Correct. You're only hurting yourself by not getting it. Just don't over pay for it. Should only be about $200.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                what i got from this is....

you want to make sure you dont get screwed or lied to from the dealership, all the while trying to screw and lie to a dealership. then want to brag about being a piece of shit on the internet. amiclose?

god bless.
                Well, he is a union member. Just subsitute dealership for employer and you get his daily routine.
                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

950 here It is very easy to lie on the internet so why even post that up?
                  www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Dave Ramsey called and said that a 818 "I love debt score" is nothing to brag about and you should have paid cash because debt is the devil.
                    Originally posted by racrguy
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Dealership was Mac Haik Ford Lincoln in Georgetown.

Comment

being a debt slave contributes to terrorism.

Comment

Dealership was Mac Haik Ford Lincoln in Georgetown.
                          They always have mustangs on Ebay for good prices.
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

you got fucked

Comment

Working...
                              X