Anyone use a Resume Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
    starting salary isnt a concern. Ive never seen more than 20k in a year anyhow! I have been looking in my spare time the last few days. I need to update my resume again with current dates and addresses.
    Some of this you may already know, if so disregard.

LinkedIn.
    If you haven't done it - do it now.

I also have a couple of PDF files from Dirk Spencer (look him up on linkedIn) that are very helpful with writing resumes. I can send them to you if you wish (pm you email addy).

Click http://www.linkedin.com/in/brookeatkinson and connect with her. She's a technical recruiter for Aerotek Engineering and has a good contact with Bell up at Alliance. She can help with many other gigs as well.

Good luck in your search!

David

Comment

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
      Some of this you may already know, if so disregard.

LinkedIn.
      If you haven't done it - do it now.

I also have a couple of PDF files from Dirk Spencer (look him up on linkedIn) that are very helpful with writing resumes. I can send them to you if you wish (pm you email addy).

Click http://www.linkedin.com/in/brookeatkinson and connect with her. She's a technical recruiter for Aerotek Engineering and has a good contact with Bell up at Alliance. She can help with many other gigs as well.

Good luck in your search!

David
      Thank you so much! PM sent
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        I'm surprised our discussion has made it this far without slow99
        Hey, I don't have an undergrad in engineering from uta, what the hell do I know?!

OP, a customized, compelling cover letter will go a long way as well. I applied to more jobs than I could quantify, and each one had a customized resume, cover letter, and relevant sample of my work (stock pitch, economic analysis I had written for investment forecasts, etc). My boss keeps a stack of resumes of all the candidates he interviewed for my position in our office. Over 40 interviews of candidates with great experience and all top MBA programs. Work harder than your competitors and things will happen.
        Last edited by slow99; 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
          Hey, I don't have an undergrad in engineering from uta, what the hell do I know?!
          truth.

Comment

Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
            truth.
            Fml
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

OP, a customized, compelling cover letter will go a long way as well. I applied to more jobs than I could quantify, and each one had a customized resume, cover letter, and relevant sample of my work (stock pitch, economic analysis I had written for investment forecasts, etc).

I've been reading resumes and talking with job applicants all week. Several had cover letters. None of those cover letters could hold my attention past the first sentence. For many jobs it is a waste of time and comes across as BS.

Granted, I'm not interviewing engineers or anything close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
                I've been reading resumes and talking with job applicants all week. Several had cover letters. None of those cover letters could hold my attention past the first sentence. For many jobs it is a waste of time and comes across as BS.

Granted, I'm not interviewing engineers or anything close to it.
                Damn, I guess I should have said compelling cover letter and perhaps mentioned other value-adding materials.

Comment

Damn, I guess I should have said compelling cover letter and perhaps mentioned other value-adding materials.

Many companies are either omitting fields for adding cover letters to on-line applications or simply not requesting one at all.

Good advice is to assume they'll accept one and add it when applicable, or add to the "Additional docs" field.

And yes, it MUST be well written, relative to the job posting and contain no KOD (kiss of death) words/phrases, e.g. "Team Player", "Proven Leader", "Seasoned Professional" etc... Those phrases have been played out like Jenna Jameson on 8 track cassettes and are not being searched anymore.

David
                  Last edited by cobrajet69; 10-20-2011, 07:29 AM.

Comment

To me, the cover letter is a great place to mention relevant experiences and skills that may not fit well in the resume. For example, projects that I have worked on in school that should not be mentioned in the work experience section or the fact that I have a great amount of hands on experience working on cars.

maybe I'm wrong?

Comment

I have never gotten an interview when I used a cover letter. Just saying.
                      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

To me, the cover letter is a great place to mention relevant experiences and skills that may not fit well in the resume. For example, projects that I have worked on in school that should not be mentioned in the work experience section or the fact that I have a great amount of hands on experience working on cars.

maybe I'm wrong?
                        No, you are exactly right.

Most resumes are screened via OCR software before ever getting to the recruiter. It's much easier to add a C/L and let the recruiter toss it in the round file, if they don't want or need one, than to leave them questioning your skills sets if & when you don't add one.

David

Comment

maybe I'm wrong?

I think that the key is to have a well written cover letter, not just a few paragraphs of self praise and BS. That stuff is easily seen through.

Comment

I have never had a cover letter and have gotten enough interviews and offers to not worry. However, i think things are much different with technical fields than with more business related fields. And a cover letter will never hurt.

Comment

I gave up on cover letters when I started noticing "they" never had it on them during the interview.
                              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X