Business Degree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBA in Economics from UTA

I was pretty satisfied with all of the teachers and the school, but like has been stated already Accounting is probably your best bet for getting a good job right out of school.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
      so after getting a degree in a accounting do you take a test to become a cpa or is it like a 12 week additional course?
      first part of the test is to see if you show up in your lambo or not.........
      pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

I did a double degree in Marketing and Management with a minor in Finance and Education.

The requirements for Marketing vs Management were about 80% the same, so it wasn't much more work at all to get the second BBA diploma. It only added 1.5 semesters to my degree plan due to the additional credit hours.

Comment

so after getting a degree in a accounting do you take a test to become a cpa or is it like a 12 week additional course?
          You need like 8 more classes. total of 150hrs, 30 of which must be acct. then you take a four part exam that most people consider a death wish. Though a lambo is attainable before any of this.

Comment

Mike, you're currently in the IT field, lower level management or supervisor, correct?

Are you not interested in staying in the same type of field, only working your way further up the ladder? Or are you looking to change direction all together.

If I was going to start over completely, and at a younger age , I would have gone the route of Finance, then law school. Then I would have gone back to Corpus to open the new title company with my dad, since you have to have one owner as an attorney. But I was an IT guy, and it was easy for me, I made a lot more money than most right out of college guys did, and still do, for a lot of my early to mid 20s. Now the reason I'm back to get a Management based degree is to simply stay in this field and move up. I never like accounting, and wouldn't wish that work on anyone

I guess other than just getting the degree, the real question is what is it you want to do, what are your work goals?

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
              first part of the test is to see if you show up in your lambo or not.........
              first you get the pizza delivery job

then the lambo

then the CPA title

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                first you get the pizza delivery job

then the lambo

then the CPA title
                what about the baller house and gf employeed by dad? when does that show up?
                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                  Both of my parents are UTA BA alumni, accounting. Both CPAs.
                  Originally posted by Bad Religion View Post
                  You need like 8 more classes. total of 150hrs, 30 of which must be acct. then you take a four part exam that most people consider a death wish. Though a lambo is attainable before any of this.
                  Shit Don, where's your lambo?
                  Men have become the tools of their tools.
                  -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                    what about the baller house and gf employeed by dad? when does that show up?
                    those really just belong to dad anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                      Shit Don, where's your lambo?
                      Dad wrecked his, mom was buried in hers Cadillac Ranch-style.

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                      those really just belong to dad anyway.
                      The girlfriend too, whether blood related or not!
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                        Whatever you do, get a useful degree. Read: not management.
                        x2

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                          This is good information. Because to be quite honest I was leaning towards the management route. Something to ponder now.
                          Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
                          I would say no simply because all the management classes I took seemed like common sense to me and didn't teach much, if anything. I never studied and got high Bs or As in every Management class.
                          The biggest issue with a management degree is that it doesn't provide you with any kind of skill set. The entire degree plan is a massive theoretical discussion and most of the practical applications of management theories are busts. If all you need or want is a degree for the sake of having one, it's an easy one to do. But it's not a value-adding degree plan.

150 hours, 30 of them accounting, 3 of them an ethics course and then you're eligible to sit for the CPA exam. Most people these days go to grad school and grab a quick Masters in Accountancy/Taxation to get the appropriate hours (undergrad accounting degree is only ~120 hours) and get a graduate degree while they're at it. After you pass the CPA exam (after you take every section a few different times), you have to work for a year under the direct supervision of a CPA before you receive your license.

And then after that you have to do 20 hours of continuing education each year and 120 hours over a three year period (in Texas).

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                            The biggest issue with a management degree is that it doesn't provide you with any kind of skill set. The entire degree plan is a massive theoretical discussion and most of the practical applications of management theories are busts. If all you need or want is a degree for the sake of having one, it's an easy one to do. But it's not a value-adding degree plan).
                            Unless you already have a career, and are actually looking to move into senior leadership roles within a large corporation. The management paths do provide a decent set of skillsets for managing people in a corporate or global environment. This is why i chose the BAAS program i did, that and i only need 36 more hours at a university, making it more cost effective. I'll also be following it up with a MS in Technology Management with a focus on MIs, which is only a 30 hour program with the right electives in the BAAS program.

There's no way I could do an accounting or finance job all day, just not my cup of tea. But having an IT background, and a management degree and masters should put me in the right place for upper level management.

Comment

Business degree is a great program for anyone looking to break into managerial or business roles in an organization. There are focused business degrees like accounting, finance, economics, etc. and there are broad ones like general business, business administration, and business management. Such broad business degree programs provide a foundation in all aspects of business and have much wider application. Therefore, employment opportunities for graduates of such degrees may be more!

Comment

Originally posted by glent7 View Post
                                Business degree is a great program for anyone looking to break into managerial or business roles in an organization. There are focused business degrees like accounting, finance, economics, etc. and there are broad ones like general business, business administration, and business management. Such broad business degree programs provide a foundation in all aspects of business and have much wider application. Therefore, employment opportunities for graduates of such degrees may be more!
                                Pay to advertise, or GTFO!
                                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                                X