CDL test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDL test

Ive decided to get my commercial drivers license for potential future employment, and try and get as many endorsements as possible. I have read the book 3 times and can pass the in book test, but I still have hesitations about the test. I can drive a truck with no problem, just never had a license

Anybody taken the test recently? Is the test hard or am I just spyching myself out? Any suggestions for test prep?

its incredibly difficult. They will make you drive in reverse in High, then whip around and back into a spot with about 2 inches to spare on each side, and you cannot go forward at any point during that parking maneuver.

Nah its easy.

Good luck getting a truck driver job without going to a school, most of the yokels at my school already had their CDL license but could not get a job unless they went to an actual CDL driving school (or went with a company who had their own program *yikes*)
    http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

honestly choose a different path. its one of the worst industries out there. driving a tank unloading shit to ungrateful people all day really gets old. at first its kinda fun but after a few years youll know what im talking about. its not as fun as it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
        honestly choose a different path. its one of the worst industries out there.
        Im not really looking to go into trucking professionally, just that alot of opportunities that have come up i had to decline because it was mandatory to have a CDL - a couple of fracking companies and drilling companies i looked into want all their employees to be able to drive to move equipment to different locations

I put myself through college working which included hauling hay and equipment with bigger trucks so its something I know how to do, but never got a license - so the way I see it cant hurt me any. im thinking if i can get my current boss to pay for the tests I might as well do it. But, I have massive test anxiety and forget the material I learned so im kinda freaking out about the test.

Comment

honestly choose a different path. its one of the worst industries out there. driving a tank unloading shit to ungrateful people all day really gets old. at first its kinda fun but after a few years youll know what im talking about. its not as fun as it looks.
          you mad? LOL JK. the only way its bearable for me is I do 99% drop/hook and dedicated so I know all the people at all the centers/plants and rarely have to

I got recruited by halliburton to run a fracking truck but i turned it down. ive had too many friends get hired and laid off within a couple months when the price of oil/gas dropped too low to do any production.

The main thing is dont let the truck get over the lines at any point, always signal, and dont hit anything. LOL

Comment

Go take your test out in the country a lot less obstacles and tight turns compared to the city. Don't get it tell you need it as with it you have a WHOLE different set of rules compared to a class c. Like BAC will be .04 not .08. A ticket is for keeps, no pleading down.

Comment

Like sig said... having a CDL is a completely different ballgame in regards to driving infractions, DWI (or suspected of), etc.

I noticed that you said you put yourself through college doing some form of driving. Does this mean that you have a 4 year degree of some sort? Not talking shit... I had a CDL in college for a hotel job. Just trying to figure out your situation. Either way, best of luck to you.

Comment

It really isn't that hard. He'll I'll give you my buddies name who runs a CDL truck rental/test prep course. He gives you the study material, you take the test, show up e next morning early and practice the actual driving test then go take a number, wait for the dps person to come do your test, pass it, then go test for haz, do fingerprints and boom done. Test and driving portion I did in two days and was done.

His website is: www.cdltesttruck.com his name is Billy tell him Matt sent you

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                  then go test for haz, do fingerprints and boom done.
                  OP, unless you just have this burning desire to get your HazMat, I would hold off. I had mine for the first six years of driving, dropped it when I didn't need the endorsement, nor did I want to retest. Good luck

Comment

Oh, I see how it is! Where was this post back in 97 when I was getting just my CDL, huh?

For the first four years, I had fun and liked what I was doing at the time. After that, it became just another job. Crappy pay and long hours.

Comment

I have a cdl with a few endorsements including hazmat, no big deal all test including driving were easy considering I had 30 minutes worth of driving experience with a big truck

But city pays for it all so I just have to show up

Good luck you won't need it but anyway

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
                        you mad? LOL JK. the only way its bearable for me is I do 99% drop/hook and dedicated so I know all the people at all the centers/plants and rarely have to

I got recruited by halliburton to run a fracking truck but i turned it down. ive had too many friends get hired and laid off within a couple months when the price of oil/gas dropped too low to do any production.

The main thing is dont let the truck get over the lines at any point, always signal, and dont hit anything. LOL
                        i dont even get mad anymore. im sure i would like shuttle better drop/hook but what i do now 10-15 stops a day is a pain in the rear. if you can get a job where you run the same route to the same people and dont have to work 14 hrs a day its better. i probably just need to take a break. thats usually what i do when i get burned out

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
                          Like sig said... having a CDL is a completely different ballgame in regards to driving infractions, DWI (or suspected of), etc.

I noticed that you said you put yourself through college doing some form of driving. Does this mean that you have a 4 year degree of some sort? Not talking shit... I had a CDL in college for a hotel job. Just trying to figure out your situation. Either way, best of luck to you.
                          yes - have a very unusual bachelors, but i still prefer to work in the field - nothin like workin a 12+ hour day with your hands outside.

ive been slowly applying for jobs and with the exception of 1, they all wanted a CDL. after a few interview i dont think im going to take any of them because of what ive read on the company history, but the way i see it wouldnt hurt to have my CDL at the least. Where i work currently, my boss would pay for the test itself, we have a lot of equipment and from time to time need a CDL driver to haul a trailer full.

almost every job ive had people see "Bachelors Degree" and assume im just some office Bishop who is lazy, so i have to work my way towards being able to do things other than click buttons....not all the college graduates are these BS 99% or 53% or whatever the hell they call themselves....stupid hippies

Comment

IMO the pretrip was the hardest part of test. Driving test was easy imo, be sure you can double clutch, some third partys will fail for floating gears.

Comment

i dont even get mad anymore. im sure i would like shuttle better drop/hook but what i do now 10-15 stops a day is a pain in the rear. if you can get a job where you run the same route to the same people and dont have to work 14 hrs a day its better. i probably just need to take a break. thats usually what i do when i get burned out
                              I hear ya. I'm out Monday through Fri and come home on the weekends so it kind of sucks missing out on the everyday things with my family but my company is great with letting me ho home for as long as I want. Last April I took off the entire month with no problems and helped get me refreshed.

Comment

Working...
                              X