• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have 4th graders on this board?
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      You are very very confused my friend. In this context it is displacement in a measuring device such as a graduated cylinder when submerged. By your logic everything in the entire world would have the same density.

The method mentioned is a common practice for measuring the volume of complex shapes. You're just thinking with a 1 track mind relative to what you're used to.

Think of it this way, if you were to force that ship completely under water, you could then determine the volume of the ship based on water displacement. Then you use the mass of the ship in determining average density
      Engineering= the practice of making as many assumptions as possible until the problem can be solved!
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
        Is it one of those swim in place pools?
        Technically speaking it's an endless pool idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          You are very very confused my friend. In this context it is displacement in a measuring device such as a graduated cylinder when submerged. By your logic everything in the entire world would have the same density.

The method mentioned is a common practice for measuring the volume of complex shapes. You're just thinking with a 1 track mind relative to what you're used to.

Think of it this way, if you were to force that ship completely under water, you could then determine the volume of the ship based on water displacement. Then you use the mass of the ship in determining average density

I know it is common to use this method to find the volume of an object. When using the word displace along with cork, most people would visualize it floating. This would be an incorrect way to determine the density.

I knew the right answer because it is impossible to have a floating displacement different than the mass of the object. (assuming water is 1 g = 1cc)
          Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post
            I know it is common to use this method to find the volume of an object. When using the word displace along with cork, most people would visualize it floating. This would be an incorrect way to determine the density.

I knew the right answer because it is impossible to have a floating displacement different than the mass of the object. (assuming water is 1 g = 1cc)
            In this context, only a moron would visualize it floating. Maybe the OP...but I don't know anyone else that'll think of it that way.

This problem makes every bit of sense.

And the function is dependent on the density of the suspension...so the water doesn't have to have to be 1 for 1. It'll just take more math...

Comment

The answer is eleventeen bajillion nanoquarks.

You guys forgot to carry the 3.
              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I'm not sure if I googled this right, please check my work

Conversions:
                m = 5.7 gram = 0.0057 kilogram
                v = 23.1 milliliter = 2.31E-5 meter^3

Solution:
                density (d) = 246.75324675325 kilogram/meter^3

Other Units:
                density (d) = 246.75324675325 kilogram/meter^3
                density (d) = 0.24675324675325 gram/centimeter^3
                density (d) = 246753.24675325 gram/meter^3
                density (d) = 246753.24675325 milligram/liter
                density (d) = 15.404301960309 pound/foot^3

Comment

Originally posted by majorownage View Post

It seems you're stuck on nautical displacement. Because ships weigh enough to actually displace a measurable amount of water then, sure, measuring the displacement and comparing it to the specific gravity of the water is workable.

Obviously a cork floats and any floating displacement from a 5.7 gram cork is too small to accurately measure. That's why no one with any sense would even consider such a ridiculous solution - "fuck it, can't measure it, so there's no way to know!" "Trick question, and so on!"

Come on, is it so hard to imagine that it's not difficult to fully immerse the cork and determine it's total fluid displacement? That's the context this problem is presented in. After all, you said so yourself: [floating displacement] is an incorrect way to determine its density.
                  Men have become the tools of their tools.
                  -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                  X