No announcement yet.

How to get EMTb certified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy who has been an EMT for years just complains about how stupid and fat people are these days.
    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by cde21 View Post
      Good Luck! I already finished classroom/clinicals, I take my National Registry Dec. 16th! I'm nervous from other peoples failure rates lol
      It is a very tough test. It's a step above the state test in certain categories, others it's less focused. I was sitting next to a seasoned East Texas Medical medic that was making his 3rd attempt to pass the written portion. Do not underestimate it. Basically, approach it as you would the Texas state test, but really concentrate on Adult and Pediatric BTLS/ACLS, Trauma, Patient assessment/ABCs, Scene safety scenarios, etc.. Your EKG rhythms like PSVT, VFib, Sinus Bradycardia, Sinus Tach, Asystole, Torsades de pointes, Bundle Branch Block, Prologned QT, etc..TIP: Make damn sure you know how to calculate your IV medication drip/infusion rates. I think there is a question on there about what is the first thing you do before you push any drug. And they will try to word in a fashion to make it a trick question. Several choices, but you narrow it down to ask the patient if he/she is allergic or check expiration date. It is a trick question, you check the expiration date because the patient can't provide any answers if they are unconscious and unresponsive to painful stimuli. There will be questions on there that are outside the Texas curriculum. *And remember, they're not dead until they're warm and dead in the pre-hospital environment* You will see one or two questions on there that will stump you because they are not within the scope of our training. They are actually pre-med questions. Don't worry about it. Just use the process of elimination and make the most logical choice.

As for the skills testing that follows the written test, this will be nothing you haven't already seen before when you had to check off to become BTLS/ACLS certified. Keep it simple and stupid and don't get nervous. With an assertive voice, verbalize your steps starting with SCENE SAFETY, ABCs, C-Spine, etc....

Good luck, buddy. I was a 4.0 GPA student and in the Honor Society at Gainesville. I studied and tutored a group for approx. 10 - 12 hours for this test after breezing through the state test. I scored maybe a 84 on written and passed both portions on my first attempt - Thank god. It is intimidating because the failure rate for first timers is 2/3 of the class, but your best offense is preparation. Use index cards to test yourself on drugs and various topics that your instructor had you focus on for the state test. Be familiar with the doses and pharmacology of the common drugs we keep in the box. Adenosine, Atropine, Epi, Narcan, Glucose, Morphine, Albuterol, etc... Also, be competent on your understanding on how to recogonize and treat patients that are victims of Organophosphate poisoning. Treatment of Burns and inhalation injury. Understand the basics of the Sympathetic/Parasympathetic nervous system. Hypovolemic shock - recognizing signs and symptoms + treatment. Remember the Skin turgor test. I believe that is a test question or it was years ago. I also think I remember there being a question about treatment of a patient of Tricylic Anti-depressant overdose. So, be familiar with fluid therapy and the treatment of metabolic acidosis using Sodium Bicarbonate. Oh, I think I remember one of the more simpler questions on the test. In what situation would you every give a patient anything by mouth if they are not alert & oriented x4? Answer: NEVER And there will be a simple OSHA test about blood borne pathogens and Universal Precautions i.e. wearing gloves, masks, etc..This will be almost the same as the state test question on the subject.

Good luck, bro. If you did well on your state test and have good study habits and decent retention, you'll make it.

Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X