How to get EMTb certified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get EMTb certified?

not looking to do it for a living, just thought it would be good stuff to know. been out of school for so long i don't really even know where to start with that sort of thing.

community college or is there some sort of specialized school for that?
    Justin

Comment

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

NICE.
        ./ ____ _ _\.
        (]]]_ o _[[[)
        \o_FORD_o/
        |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

I'm doing this right now.

Bookwork is all online, at your own pace. When you start getting close to having your bookwork done, you sign up for a two week bootcamp where you do your field training AKA clinicals.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Comment

This is where I completed mine back in 2003.

Comment

EMTb cert for shits n giggles? Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Comment

I got my ECA back in the day for an extra $150 a month. Never had to put any of it to use, though. I don't know if the State of Texas still does that certification.

Comment

Dont waste your time... The most you learn in EMT school is extracting people from cars, basic splinting, vital signs and you can give 4 drugs including oxygen.

If you could use it for some type of job advancement, then by all means. But for just a regular old Joe...you wont learn much to help you in an emergency. I did EMT school back in 02 and 04 (first time was my senior year of high school and I didnt take the state test).

I work in an ER now as a tech while I go to nursing school and we get students in all the time. All they can do is vital signs and reset the rooms for a new patient.

If you still want to...local community colleges have the class. Its a full semester, then you have 60 hours of clinical/ride out. You need to wake up early on registration day and sign up for the class. They fill up in a couple of hours most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      Dont waste your time... The most you learn in EMT school is extracting people from cars, basic splinting, vital signs and you can give 4 drugs including oxygen.

If you could use it for some type of job advancement, then by all means. But for just a regular old Joe...you wont learn much to help you in an emergency. I did EMT school back in 02 and 04 (first time was my senior year of high school and I didnt take the state test).

I work in an ER now as a tech while I go to nursing school and we get students in all the time. All they can do is vital signs and reset the rooms for a new patient.

If you still want to...local community colleges have the class. Its a full semester, then you have 60 hours of clinical/ride out. You need to wake up early on registration day and sign up for the class. They fill up in a couple of hours most of the time.
                      Very true on the classes filling up quickly.
                      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                        Dont waste your time...
                        Right on brother. Damn, I'm drunk.

Medical field: Caveat emptor

This is what I used to be. I broke many academic records and set new precedents. I busted my ass and what I got for my toil was PTSD. Now I spend my time destroying my liver one shot of Vodka at a time. And it's all good.

I was an EMT, then Paramedic, then a National Registered Paramedic by busting my ass at East Texas Medical. Then was asked to and became a teaching aid for a cursory period following graduation. More BS.

Here's what BS looks like in didactic form. Hell, I even (at the time) was the first to score 100% on a Med Term test that consisted of 300 latin based medical prefixes/root words/suffixes. Again, more exercise in futility and something utterly bereft in meaning. Ipso facto, BS.

Even received a letter by staff to get into EMS teaching & management. I declined after being on the box staring into the abyss and allowing it to stare back.

You're born, you live, you die...

Comment

Alright, I'll say it.

If you can't figure out how or where to learn, don't fucking do it, you aren't capable of helping anyone, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
                            Right on brother. Damn, I'm drunk.

Medical field: Caveat emptor

This is what I used to be. I broke many academic records and set new precedents. I busted my ass and what I got for my toil was PTSD. Now I spend my time destroying my liver one shot of Vodka at a time. And it's all good.

I was an EMT, then Paramedic, then a National Registered Paramedic by busting my ass at East Texas Medical. Then was asked to and became a teaching aid for a cursory period following graduation. More BS.

Here's what BS looks like in didactic form. Hell, I even (at the time) was the first to score 100% on a Med Term test that consisted of 300 latin based medical prefixes/root words/suffixes. Again, more exercise in futility and something utterly bereft in meaning. Ipso facto, BS.

Even received a letter by staff to get into EMS teaching & management. I declined after being on the box staring into the abyss and allowing it to stare back.

You're born, you live, you die...
                            Tell us how you really feel.

Comment

appoligies for previous post. been drinking since 7pm. i'm in a rut and am quite jaded regarding this topic. it (ems/medicine) can be very rewarding to those who approach it with a passion to do the job day in and day out and do it right. that's how it started for me, but i got my butt kicked psychologically from some really bad calls. a couple of SIDS , crime scenes, and various trauma cases, treating lifer prisoners/prison medical transfers, etc.. i find it very difficult at times to find humanity in the human race. the dark side of human nature can be overwhelming when you are repeatedly exposed to it. my hat goes off to people who deliberately expose themselves to these environments. it's a necessary evil that i quickly grew an aversion to in my foray into ems. i guess seeing an infant that was casually discarded into a trash bin and things of this nature don't sit well unless you can emotionally detach yourself. there's a lot of positive out there. people you can save, but reality is in stark contrast to tv. prolonged full medical arrest don't come back. a 15 y/o od'ing on a bottle of tylenol, then die in pain and agony slowly over a period of days of liver failure. having a coherent conversation with a trauma patient in the box and they are dead 20 minutes later from exsanguination. i admire those who can deal with this and keep moving forward.

it's a noble profession and i tend to demonize it. just cynicism.

Comment

Working...
                              X