Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet America‘s ’53%’ – And They Have a Message for the ‘99%’ Protesters

Meet America‘s ’53%’ – And They Have a Message for the ‘99%’ Protesters
    Posted on October 7, 2011 at 9:52am by Mike Opelka Print »Email »Comments (1001)Meet The 53%. Who are they? The term 53% refers to the people who are actually paying taxes for themselves and the rest of the country.

And in case you have forgotten what the so called 99%ers look like… here are some snapshots from my recent visit;

The afternoon drumming and dancing...
    Many of the protesters could be seen checking their emails and posting to their Facebook accounts on expensive laptops and cell phones.

The 53% is a group of responsible young people organizing across the country. However, this group is not camping out in parks around the country and demanding the entire capitalist system be destroyed. These men and women have jobs (most of them work at more than one job in order to make ends meet), but they are talking about attending the Minneapolis Occupy Wall St. protest scheduled for today – Friday, October 7th.

Here’s a statement from their web page;

So, like, when you’re, like, community organizing for solidarity and stuff, it’s totally cool to have this little hashtaggy thingy when you’re on twitter, so other people, like, totally know what you’re talking about and stuff. So if you’re, like, totally gonna spread the word about being one of the 53% of people who actually, like, pay taxes in America and don’t just, like, hang out protesting stuff all day… like, here’s the hashtaggy thingy. See you at the protest! #iamthe53

Filmmaker Mike Wilson (the man who gave us “Michael Moore Hates America“) maintains the page. We spoke with Wilson this morning and he explained that the 53% tumblr page came from his brain and the clever minds of his pals, Erick Erickson of Red State and Josh Trevino.

Reports out of Minneapolis say that a protest is expected today in front of the Government Plaza in downtown Minneapolis. The movement states they are going to try and reclaim and rename this area “The People’s Plaza.” Members of the 53% have mentioned that they will be in attendance to offer a counter opinion to the protest.

As we were talking, Wilson explained that he was loading up his camera and headed to the Minneapolis protest to capture it on video. The Blaze will link to Wilson’s coverage as it comes in.

Mike Wilson told us the group was in the very early stages of organizing, but it is happening online – mostly because they have jobs, families, and a sense of personal responsibility. And the 53% have responded to the people alleging to represent 99% of the country. Based on these photo messages, the 99% is patently wrong in their claim.

That's great!

Comment

Very fucking awesome!!!

Comment

Fuckin' aye. My confidence in our youth is once again, bolstered. I raised two girls (now adults) in this generation, and they are hard-working, driven individuals. Nothing is sweeter than the feeling of owning something that you have earned/worked for, even if it's just family. It's what we live for and what motivates us.

Comment

the 99% look like a bunch of lazy ass motherfuckers that expect money to somehow be pulled out of "gods" ass and given to them.
          "PSH!!!"

Comment

Thread of the fucking decade right here!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              the 99% look like a bunch of lazy ass motherfuckers that expect money to somehow be pulled out of "gods" ass and given to them.
              I guarantee you that mommy and daddy think most of them are in school, and would shit their pants if they knew their kids were out there on their dime. They didn't get those IPads and IPhones by being unemployed students.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                Fuckin' aye. My confidence in our youth is once again, bolstered. I raised two girls (now adults) in this generation, and they are hard-working, driven individuals. Nothing is sweeter than the feeling of owning something that you have earned/worked for, even if it's just family. It's what we live for and what motivates us.
                Thanks for that. Not necessarily the easiest thing to do.

Sort of on-topic. I think a lot of people get stuck worrying about what they don't have as opposed to what they do have.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Hahahaha!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    "Like"

I work a full time job, and 2 part time jobs to provide for my family. There are times I get off my part time job at midnight, go sleep on a cot in my office, and get up at 4:50 am to go to my full time job.

I'm not bitching and whining at Wall Street, I'm taking responsiblity for myself and paying taxes so those on welfare can sell drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                      "Like"

I work a full time job, and 2 part time jobs to provide for my family. There are times I get off my part time job at midnight, go sleep with a coked-up hooker in my office, and get up at 4:50 am to go to my full time job..
                      Fixed that for ya, copper! FTP!!!!!111!!1!oneonejuan
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Im not on either side personally. One side is mad at people with money and the other side is happy with busting their ass's for minimal gains and not alot of compensation.

Is it just me or are both sides a bit fucked in the heads? Greed is what makes this world go around and greed is what is sending this world down the galactic shitter.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                            Fixed that for ya, copper! FTP!!!!!111!!1!oneonejuan
                            hOOkerS and BLoW!!! WOHHOHOOOOHHOOOOOOo!

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              America, Fuck yeah!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X