Risky career changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risky career changes

So I've been obsessing over this offer that this old friend of mine has given me for a few weeks now. He wants me to start working for him on this new venture that he has going on, a new international gambling website. I've been helping him test the final beta version of it, and it's pretty bad ass. Its something that's never been done before, and I think it's going to catch on like wildfire. He's been invited to go to Costa Rica and Korea to unveil this thing, as well as Vegas in the form of a "LAN" party since online gambling in the US is illegal. I'm just scared shitless that it might take a while to really get rolling, and while he assures me that I'd be taken care of, its pretty worrisome leaving a solid truck driving career that brings in consistent money every week for a risk like this. My wife has been following the website and is all about me making the move. I'd basically be an ambassador for the website, and travel around the world doing RL tournaments for the top players/winners on the site, much like what Full Tilt and the other poker sites did. Once my friend feels comfortable with the site being 100%, I'll post up a link to the site so yall can try it out. Obviously wont be able to play for real money but its pretty addictive. He's offered me a job in the past and I turned it down due to liking my job at that point, and the guy who took it makes over 6 figures now.
    http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Man, only you know the guy and so forth. Can he offer a salary position in an offer letter, with stock/share/percentage ownership?

My gut feeling is to not do it. Especially since I'm not seeing what is unique about it at this point.

Again though, if there is an original idea involved you can't really release too much. Only you'll know at this point.

I'd personally would feel a lot better if there were agreeable terms, in writing. Just because you maybe a partner does not mean you can't get an offer letter of sorts that contracts you to a certain amount of pay.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Much like Full Tilt poker in that it's a ponzi scheme?

Comment

Life is a big gamble, sometimes you have to take a risk and it might make you rich

Originally posted by DOHCTR
        You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

What makes it so different than the others?

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
            Life is a big gamble, sometimes you have to take a risk and it might make you rich
            it could also leave you with a couple of hungry mouths to feed.

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Not a ponzi scheme, not a card game, I really can't reveal anything. Once it goes live I'll put up a link.

The contract in writing is a good idea.

And that's my fear, that he'll sell once it blows up and leave me high and dry. I really don't see him doing me like that but money does crazy things.

Get rich or die trying right? LOL

Comment

The contract in writing is pretty worthless if he is broke, so is a lawyer....
                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Never go into business with friends or family.

Can you do it as a side job and keep your current job?
                  www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

On a warm summer's evenin' on a train bound for nowhere,
                    I met up with the gambler; we were both too tired to sleep.
                    So we took turns a starin' out the window at the darkness
                    'Til boredom overtook us, and he began to speak.

He said, "Son, I've made my life out of readin' people's faces,
                    And knowin' what their cards were by the way they held their eyes.
                    So if you don't mind my sayin', I can see you're out of aces.
                    For a taste of your whiskey I'll give you some advice."

So I handed him my bottle and he drank down my last swallow.
                    Then he bummed a cigarette and asked me for a light.
                    And the night got deathly quiet, and his face lost all expression.
                    Said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy, ya gotta learn to play it right.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
                    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
                    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
                    There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Now Ev'ry gambler knows that the secret to survivin'
                    Is knowin' what to throw away and knowing what to keep.
                    'Cause ev'ry hand's a winner and ev'ry hand's a loser,
                    And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep."

So when he'd finished speakin', he turned back towards the window,
                    Crushed out his cigarette and faded off to sleep.
                    And somewhere in the darkness the gambler, he broke even.
                    But in his final words I found an ace that I could keep.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
                    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
                    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
                    There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.
                    Chrousx3
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

What kind of truck driver are u? money u making?

Comment

I say go for it and if things really go to shit you can always move to west texas and drive a truck. Every company and their dog is hiring CDL drivers out here. People in this world with lots of money are the ones who took the risk.

Comment

That's the argument my wife is making. The company contract that I'm on has a year left and will not be renewed so regardless I'm going to be changing to a different carrier that has a local or dedicated route that i like.

I'm making about 45k a yr and the hometime is excellent.

I'm concerned about going to work for a friend, but our friendship is different then most. I was the first one to his skydiving accident and ever since our bond is a lot tighter. I'm not concerned that he'll run out of money or go broke. He'd put everybody on this site to shame, and yes, everybody. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
                            That's the argument my wife is making. The company contract that I'm on has a year left and will not be renewed so regardless I'm going to be changing to a different carrier that has a local or dedicated route that i like.

I'm making about 45k a yr and the hometime is excellent.

I'm concerned about going to work for a friend, but our friendship is different then most. I was the first one to his skydiving accident and ever since our bond is a lot tighter. I'm not concerned that he'll run out of money or go broke. He'd put everybody on this site to shame, and yes, everybody. Lol.
                            So why the hell are you asking our opinions. Go do it.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

well i wrote out a pros and cons and fuck, the pros way outweigh the cons. The main things i'm worried about is he'll sell out, and ill end up having to go back to trucking. also, we'll have to relocate, and i dont know how my daughter will adjust to that. but we'll be much closer to my parents, and further away from the inlaws, so thats a big plus. LOL. im meeting up with him this weekend to go over all the details and iron out all the little things, and then maybe i'll be giving my 2 weeks notice on monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X