Long term fuel storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term fuel storage

Trying to get a plan together for "worst possible case" situation.

All of my vehicles are gasoline and gasoline generators appear to be substantially cheaper then diesel. The obvious downside of this is that the gas generators have to run at higher rpm which means louder, less efficient, and less longevity (although on the flip side I've heard gas generators are better about sitting unused without having problems).

So, ideally I'd like to store as much gasoline as possible, but the shelf life seems to be a big issue. There are products out there that claim to be able to not only be able to extend the usable storage life of gas, some claim to be able to revive gasoline that has already deteriorated.

If I am going to store gasoline (which in my case seems to be a better option as long as I can get a reasonable shelf life), what is the best way to do so when you live in a regular neighbor hood.

The thought of 2 or 3 55gal barrels full of gas probably wouldn't sit well with my home insurance company nor the local F.D. Is there any way around this? I understand burring a tank is very illegal. If there is no way to do it, are the rules with diesel much different since it is less volatile?

Thanks!

Lose the tin foil hat and life becomes easier.
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Its only illegal if you dont have it sitting next to your gas water heater.

Comment

just buy a lot of Sta-bil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                Lose the tin foil hat and life becomes easier.
                You have obviously never expreinced gas shortage....

A few years ago down here in houston there was 2-3 weeks where it was hard to find gas.

Luckily all my cars were filled up, and I had an extra 100 gallons. I survied with no worries. Some co-workers though ran out of gas and couldn't come to work, or even run their generators.

There is nothing wrong with being prepared.
                "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

For every 15 or so gallons store some STP fuel additive.

How long do you plan on storing this here gasoline?
                  Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                  Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                    For every 15 or so gallons store some STP fuel additive.

How long do you plan on storing this here gasoline?
                    What day is that crazy guy predicting for the next apocalypse?
                    www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                      What day is that crazy guy predicting for the next apocalypse?
                      October something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        October something.
                        Should be fine then. No need for additives.
                        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

If any of you rapturees want someone to look after your stuff while you're away, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                            If any of you rapturees want someone to look after your stuff while you're away, let me know.
                            Actually let me know - my rates are better than his^^^

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                              Actually let me know - my rates are better than his^^^
                              My rates are better than his ^^^

I'll do it for free on the proviso that you sign everything over to me in the event that you're raptured.

Comment

Working...
                              X